Summer Mercato Thread 2018 (27 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Honestly, Khedira is probably the only one I would get rid of at this point:

Pjanic - world class deeplying playmaker
Matuidi - energy, work-rate, pressing
Can - Looks like he can be a true DM - strength, passing, tackling, seems very balanced, but can be inconsistent.
Marchisio - You can't get rid of
Bentancur - composure, passing, aerial presence
Khedira - box to box...but slow.

Adding Pogba or SMS to replace Khedira would be the obvious upgrade.
Is pjanic actually a world class deep lying playmaker? Ive maintained that he’s playing out of position as a regista. I’d prefer to see him further up, like with Roma. I wish Marchisio wasn’t washed up. He would compliment pjanic so well.

Bentancur could develop into that guy.

Mar 3, 2014
yes but we need to ease Emre in, he got 5M net in wages so we obviously see him as a soon to be starter. Sami will mentor him and somewhere down the season, Emre will take the starting spot, then Khedira will leave. thats how i see it at this point. Matuidi still has a season of starting before we find his replacement. i could see this being the process of though in the management.

Edit: what i tried to say with this, but seems to me i failed to - we wont get any new CMs
Don't disagree. We have a lot. And we will have Stu lol

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Deeply mediocre.
not really 4 WC to very good player for rotation of sometimes 3, sometimes 2 spots + an experienced veteran and a young future star with unknown potential, who could both be the x factor. not ideal, and i expected another mid, but we fixed the attack and if we fix the defense as well, good enough for me

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Got 85 procent correct, I had completely forgotten the names and prices of the flops Diego, Melo and Amauri :D

Also defenitely not correct, it does not include Matuidi who cost 30m, made no sense.
It's 20m for Matuidi with 10m bonusses. And I have no idea how the bonusses are defined.

Mar 3, 2014
Deeply mediocre.
Honestly, I have faith in Can. Pjanic was also inconsistent with Roma, and had that reputation. The problem is in bundesliga, there is less of a tactical focus and Liverpool had a german coach. I think Allegri can drill him to be very effective. With Can-Pjanic, it may be enough if we deploy a 4-2-3-1. If we want a 4-3-3, Matuidi will be fine to step in. Bentancur can probably replace Pjanic as a substitute. Khedira can also at least be a substitute. Marchisio will unfortunately only play cup matches as he is so far down the pecking order. Sturaro I hope is sold. If I'm ranking out of 10 our midfield is an 8, our attack is a 10 and our defense is a 9. We are one player from an elite midfield IMO. Pogba obviously would be a perfect solution but it doesn't seem very realistic.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
not really 4 WC to very good player for rotation of sometimes 3, sometimes 2 spots + an experienced veteran and a young future star with unknown potential, who could both be the x factor. not ideal, and i expected another mid, but we fixed the attack and if we fix the defense as well, good enough for me
Its a midfield that DEEPLY worried me last season, and its only addition is what, an Emre Can who is as likely to be a pedestrian type of DM then anyone with decisive impact?

As amazing as this upgrade is for our attack, if we finish this mercato and our only addition to our ONLY glaring weakness in midfield, is Emre Can, then our chances in CL is left wanting IMO.

I dont expect much from Can, so anything thats a plus will be gravvy. Who will make or break or midfield is IMO which version of Matuidi will we get? The broken useless one after injury in whole of 2018? Or the useful good one first half of the season? Even at his best its not enough, but his level will be key for stability in CLl. Also Can taking enough stake in the team and growing quickly, so we can bench the black hole that is Khedira (yes he can occasionally score goal and be b2b, but his value in general play as midfielder is almost negative, no tangigle ball winning, interception, passes and touches the ball less then everyone?).

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
As amazing as this upgrade is for our attack, if we finish this mercato and our only addition to our ONLY glaring weakness in midfield, is Emre Can, then our chances in CL is left wanting IMO.
then again, what did you expect, Juve going balls out in the Ronaldo transfer (after we've already brought Cancelo, Can, Perin) and also splashing extra on midfield? Juventus has always had very clear limits and our spending this summer has exceeded anything I'd imagined we'd do

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
then again, what did you expect, Juve going balls out in the Ronaldo transfer (after we've already brought Cancelo, Can, Perin) and also splashing extra on midfield? Juventus has always had very clear limits and our spending this summer has exceeded anything I'd imagined we'd do
I expect a super competive team to adress the one glaring weakness it has? Its not unreasonable, and it doesnt have to be record sums only to address it, even if the market is crazy inflated right now.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Its a midfield that DEEPLY worried me last season, and its only addition is what, an Emre Can who is as likely to be a pedestrian type of DM then anyone with decisive impact?

i agree, but this is the 3rd straight mercato we wanted our midfield upgraded, what did Marotta do? get us Matuidi and Emre Can. thats it. so either hes incompetent, or they (Max & management) dont see it as such a big issue as we do. needless to say, Max rates Khedira highly. i expect a decline next season and him being sold after the season (expected the same this season, but nothing seems to happen), with Emre Can taking his role. his spot will go to the "Matuidi replacement" who will get eased in same way as Can is about, so we sell Matuidi in summer of 2020. is it the right way and will it pay off? i cant tell you that, but this seems to be the plan from what i gather seeing how the mercato unfolds

Szczesny, Perin, Pinsoglio
Benatia, Chiellini, Rugani*, Caldara, Barzagli
Alex Sandro, Cancelo, Spinazzola*, De Sciglio, Cuadrado
Pjanic, Khedira, Matuidi, Can, Marchisio, Sturaro, Bentancur
Ronaldo, Dybala, Higuain, Mandzukic, Bernardeschi, Douglas Costa

players in bold are club trained
* only for Serie A, not for CL

this is 26 players, so we are already over the squad limit, meaning one has to leave (Higuain). now any outgoing transfer means you have to replace the position youre weakening, unless its one of those 4 bolded ones. Alex Sandro leaves, we need a LB. Benatia leaves, we need a CB. i thought Khedira will leave and we will get SMS/Golovin, but seems Sami is staying another year, so we are kinda stuck.

also, from what i wrote above, we will have only 2 club trained players for CL, so 2 will have to be Lichtsteinerd from the list. or sold, reducing the squad to 23 players

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015

I dont expect much from Can, so anything thats a plus will be gravvy. Who will make or break or midfield is IMO which version of Matuidi will we get? The broken useless one after injury in whole of 2018? Or the useful good one first half of the season? Even at his best its not enough, but his level will be key for stability in CLl. Also Can taking enough stake in the team and growing quickly, so we can bench the black hole that is Khedira (yes he can occasionally score goal and be b2b, but his value in general play as midfielder is almost negative, no tangigle ball winning, interception, passes and touches the ball less then everyone?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)