Summer mercato thread 2017-18 (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

.jef.

May 25, 2017
Then I REALLY hope De Sciglio will step up for us. We can survive with a weakened RB position though, that midfield position is critical for us.
Am I the only one not worried about the CM position? Our management work with the players every day, so they have a clear idea about Marchisio's fitness and have seen Bentancur up close.

If they feel Marchisio is going to be fit then that's a massive positive. There's no one on the market who comes close to him, and he'd bench Khedira. I know his injury is worrying, but they know more about whether he's regained fitness than we do.

It also seems they rate Bentancur, and are willing to give him a chance. That would give plenty of cover.

I'm more concerned about RB and CB, but even then not too much. The reason Dani Alves was so important to us was because of our lack of depth at right wing and Cuadrado's loss of form. Now that we're covered there we can get by with a more defensive RB, and give DS and Spinazzola a chance to prove themselves. Not ideal, but Cancelo doesn't seem to be a definitive upgrade, more of a question mark.

At CB I'm more worried about cover in case of injury. As far as it goes Rugani's lack of CL experience doesn't phase me - he's only going to get CL experience by playing and I'd rather he got it now before Caldara arrives otherwise we'll have two young CB's who need to gain CL experience, with even less reliable back up.

10 posts per month. Think thats okay, ismt it? [MENTION=3857]Hustini[/MENTION
10 a month? I'd better slow down!

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
This is how I see the mercato going from here. Only 3 transfers to go.

IN: Spinazzola, Matuidi, Keita
OUT: Asamoah.

I think it will be Asamoah who goes rather than Lichsteiner. The reason I think behind this is that we will start the season with 4 recognized CBs. Lichsteiner can play as a centre back in emergency situations. The management may not see the point in getting a 5th CB at this time.
i think they might not see a CB as priority at the moment, considering we have 4 players for 2 spots right now. however, Bonucci (and Alves too) was bringing certain qualities that are hard to replace, so we are likely to struggle without him in our build up play at 1st, like we were without Pogba last season. the way i see it, we will give this CB quartet 6 months to see if they are enough to carry out the season, then in case of injuries or the team underperforming, we will react in winter mercato by either signing The Fry on an expiring contract or bringing in Caldara from loan

.jef.

May 25, 2017
I know that someone said if you have a back 4 you have 8 defenders in your squad so why not 8 forwards....the issue with that argument is that who knows what formation we will have at the end of the season? A back 4 or back 3 is a given and hence you need 8-9 players (including wing backs). However, ONLY if you play 4231 would you make an argument for 8. You revert to a front 3 or have just a front 2 and all of a sudden your squad is too heavily skewed.
I get that, but I'm kinda hoping we end the season playing the same formation we start with.

It would be good to get through a season without having to tear everything down and rebuild it for once.

I see it as a positive that management have identified our strategy (one that was very successful for us last year) and made purchases to allow us to use it with some continuity.

Also I like that we're focusing on attack. As many have pointed out that's the path to success in the CL.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
Generally the squad is fine. I too am less worried about the CM. Bentancur is going to be an important player this year and I suspect Marchisio is going to be better this year too. Matuidi for 20m odd is not bad for what we need right now. Next year we might be able to get Emre Can for free. Khedira-Pjanic are likely to be the starters with Marchisio and Bentancur as first change. Then we would have Matuidi? and Sturaro as 3rd change.

Right back? Spinazzola might be a better option than Cancelo to be honest. CB? Ok that is more of what the coach does. I think Allegri was SPOT ON when he said, you cannot find a Bonucci replacement - every player has their own characteristics. The team needs to adjust because Bonucci was very good with the ball. However Rugani, Chiellini, Benatia and Barzagli are all exceptional players and I am sure they will work out a compact system.

If we do start to leak goals, don't at all be surprised if Allegri goes to a back 3 again - which may beg the question about having that 5th CB. Barzagli-Rugani-Chiellini would be very solid and you could have Cuadrado, Spinazzola, De Sciglio, Sandro, and Costa as all viable wing backs. Would consider keeping Lichsteiner if he can be molded into a CB as well. He looks reasonably solid defensively.

.jef.

May 25, 2017
appologies to @.jef. then, didnt realize he only joined few months ago
Lol, no need to apologise, I was lurking for a good year before I joined, so you're not being that unfair on me!

- - - Updated - - -

If we do start to leak goals, don't at all be surprised if Allegri goes to a back 3 again - which may beg the question about having that 5th CB. Barzagli-Rugani-Chiellini would be very solid and you could have Cuadrado, Spinazzola, De Sciglio, Sandro, and Costa as all viable wing backs. Would consider keeping Lichsteiner if he can be molded into a CB as well. He looks reasonably solid defensively.
I really hope this doesn't happen.

As much as I admire Max ability to adapt, it would be nice to have a season with continuity for once.

Start the season with a strategy and then hone and perfect it, rather than desperately reinventing everything in January and hoping it falls into place by March.

Drizzy

Apr 26, 2015
This team this year will be no better than the one that got exposed like the children we were a couple months ago. We. Need. A. CL QUALITY. Midfielder. Khedira-pjanic sure may work in a weak serie a vs crotone, but madrid showed us how weak our middle is, we need a vidal type now more than ever, someone who isn't a pussy, problem is there isn't many of them and we're not getting one of the few there is. So the realistic setting that I am hoping for is that Marchisio gets back to his quality form and benches one of those bozos, because with him 100% healthy it will be like a new signing for us

.jef.

May 25, 2017
This team this year will be no better than the one that got exposed like the children we were a couple months ago. We. Need. A. CL QUALITY. Midfielder. Khedira-pjanic sure may work in a weak serie a vs crotone, but madrid showed us how weak our middle is, we need a vidal type now more than ever, someone who isn't a pussy, problem is there isn't many of them and we're not getting one of the few there is. So the realistic setting that I am hoping for is that Marchisio gets back to his quality form and benches one of those bozos, because with him 100% healthy it will be like a new signing for us
But this is blatantly untrue. We now have enough depth in attack that we won't have to play a RB as a winger if one of our attackers goes out of form, which is a clear improvement.

Also I hardly consider Pjanic a bozo. I don't believe Khedira is as bad as everyone makes out, though he was awful in the final. If Marchisio comes back to form and benches him he would be perfectly acceptable as back up.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
But this is blatantly untrue. We now have enough depth in attack that we won't have to play a RB as a winger if one of our attackers goes out of form, which is a clear improvement.

Also I hardly consider Pjanic a bozo. I don't believe Khedira is as bad as everyone makes out, though he was awful in the final. If Marchisio comes back to form and benches him he would be perfectly acceptable as back up.
We clearly need a defensive midfielder for our new formation and ideal choice should be nzonzi but for some reason we don't want to spend 40 million euros on him

.jef.

May 25, 2017
We clearly need a defensive midfielder for our new formation and ideal choice should be nzonzi but for some reason we don't want to spend 40 million euros on him
Except that Max plays Pjanic as the deepest midfielder, and partners him with a player who can drift further forward.

I'm still curious to see a Pjanic - Marchisio axis. Creativity and strength in possession.

In the CL final the problem with our midfield wasn't in gaining possession, but in keeping it.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
Except that Max plays Pjanic as the deepest midfielder, and partners him with a player who can drift further forward.

I'm still curious to see a Pjanic - Marchisio axis. Creativity and strength in possession.

In the CL final the problem with our midfield wasn't in gaining possession, but in keeping it.
In the two man midfield you clearly a need Vidal type of midfielder who can cover both defensively and offensively

.jef.

May 25, 2017
In the two man midfield you clearly a need Vidal type of midfielder who can cover both defensively and offensively
Like I said, our problem wasn't gaining possession but keeping it. Marchisio is every bit as good as Khedira defensively, and better in possession.

My only fear would be a lack of height.

Wouldn't say no to N'Zonzi though.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Like I said, our problem wasn't gaining possession but keeping it. Marchisio is every bit as good as Khedira defensively, and better in possession.

My only fear would be a lack of height.

Wouldn't say no to N'Zonzi though.
Not only lack of height, while both Pjanic and Claudio are pretty smart tactically in defense, they both can be outmuscled quite easily.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Offer your services to become the couch. We will see what you would do.
We lost because to many tired players, for most of the year the front 4 and the 2 mids had no replacements.
The second half we were dead. That is all it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we need him, are you kidding. Pereyra is nothing else than a good player, not even a great player, for teams like Udinese and Watford
That's what I said, pal... Hence the "but there were no options". You see?

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Strootman Spinazzola Keita and we are set!
Buffon;A.Sandro Chiellini Benatia Spina;Pjanic Strootman;D.Costa Dybala Bernardeschi;Higuain
Sub Keita could replace one of D.Costa Bernardeschi in case one of them doesnt play well or if he develops and surpass them in quality

- - - Updated - - -

Offer your services to become the couch. We will see what you would do.
We lost because to many tired players, for most of the year the front 4 and the 2 mids had no replacements.
The second half we were dead. That is all it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we need him, are you kidding. Pereyra is nothing else than a good player, not even a great player, for teams like Udinese and Watford
Im not sure he will do well as a couch.. maybe Im wrong but many players wouldnt want to sit on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)