Summer mercato thread 2017-18 (30 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2016
I am generally a fan of Marotta but he obviously has 1 glaring weakness.

Although I agree in principal that the club should not keep players who do not want to be here, the problem is it becomes a huge problem if you take that too literally - which I think he does. Take Bonucci as an example. All of the players tell the media that it all happened very quickly. In other words, Bonucci must of told management with relatively short notice that he wanted to go to Milan. This is not acceptable particularly since he only signed a new contract earlier in the year!

I am sorry, but if a player signs a new contract less than 12 months ago, the player has no right to ask for a transfer and expect us to accept the first bidder. This has to be known to all of the players.

If I was Marotta, I would say something like: "In principal we don't like to keep players who don't want to be here. However, the players also need to understand that the club and the player have a contractual commitment - so should a player express a desire to leave, we may try to accommodate this within the confines of both sporting and financial requirements and within a reasonable period of time so that the club can adequately arrange a replacement".

Given that Dybala signed a contract extension less than 4-5 months ago, he should not expect us to grant any sudden desire he has to leave for another club. If he expresses such a desire, then we should either open up to the idea of sale so long as the amount is far in excess of his true market value, or give us suitable time (i.e next summer) to make arrangements for his eventual departure and suitable replacement.

Makes sense no? I think if all players understood this going in, there should be no complaints.
Totally agree. Im sure there is some sort of version of this being practiced, but it needs to be respected a lot more than it is now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)