Summer clear-out, or just a few moves? (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
As Graham said, this would be ideal:

- 4 defenders (a RB and 3 CBs)
- a defensive mid (Emerson and Pedretti are possibilities, if not then Blasi and/or Brighi)
- a playmaker/attacking left mid (Kapo is ours already, so we've got that covered. If Nedved leaves however, we would need a big name replacement like Rosicky or VDV)
- a striker to replace Trez (Gilardino, enough said)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
You don't sell the core of your team. Nedved, Zambrotta, and Buffon comprise the core of Juventus at the moment. Nobody has mentioned selling either Zamby or Buffon, but selling Nedved plus hlaf the rest of the first team like has been suggested is simply out of the question. We've already got to bring in a new manager, why add to the confusion and adjustment period by adding a ton of new players?
That is the whole point I believe we need drastic changes over the summer although I do not like to use the word summer clear-out because it gives a sense of selling players for the sake of it.;).
Anyway if a new manager comes in then he will bring philosophy and approach to the game, which will likely mean that managers want players that will fit into his system.
The current squad is made to fit into Lippi's plan which relies heavily on hard work, stealth and determination to grind out results. Prandelli, for example, on other hand, is much more attacking-minded coach,and who puts high value on technical ability IMO in contrast to Lippi's fitness-based approach.
Of course, it doesnt mean selling half the team. But some drastic changes are needed IMO.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Jun-hide this is the thing- we can only get the right new players AFTER we get our manager. So there should IMO be a season of transition, where no new players are bought, but rather the manager spends the season figuring the team out. Who he needs and who to sell.

Off topic: The fact that Lippi didnt get any new players over the summer or even during the break prophesized his departure.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

- a defensive mid (Emerson and Pedretti are possibilities, if not then Blasi and/or Brighi)
- a playmaker/attacking left mid (Kapo is ours already, so we've got that covered. If Nedved leaves however, we would need a big name replacement like Rosicky or VDV)
I think it might be easier to simply buy Parma. ;)

As others have said, we don't want to clean out the closets entirely. That's a guarantee to put us on the road to Inter. I agree with a lot of your suggestions, but I think we have to pare back some of our expectations around the extent of defensive changes.

Juve has had a bad year where players across the board have underperformed. There are a lot of great players still there. Between the need for leadership and the economic likelihood of finding so many quality replacements at reasonable prices at once, any talk of "revolution" really needs to focus on "evolution" instead.

Over several years, yes -- we should plan some pretty big changes. But for next season? Shoring up the defense, injecting a little youth, and selling some of the high-priced underperformers who are past their prime can be achieved with 5-6 player changes tops. That should be our short-term goal for this next transfer window.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think Trez knows that his Juve career is virtually over, and the same feeling is being felt by Pavel. I think Nedved has really been useless for us this season; he has simply lost his form since winning the Golden Boot. So I say sell sell sell in this summer's market. Trez is hopefully going to be sold, and Gilardino will be bought as a more than acceptable replacement for Trez IMO. Now about Pavel, I say might as well sell too. He is getting old and after next season we might not be able to cash in on him. I think we can find a player that can control the midfield better than Neddy; someone who has more creativity. I stress that this player should be a NATURAL PLAYMAKER, not a converted one like Nedved. I think Rosicky or van der Vaart are the only acceptable replacements for Nedved, or at least from what I have seen so far. So I want Trez and Nedved to be sold, so we can bring in 7 new players that we most certainly need, including 3 or 4 new defenders, 2 or 3 midfielders, and Gilardino. We all know who we want to see wearing Bianconeri in the summer.

Like I have stated before, the whole squad needs to be revamped. I think another important thing is to bring in a natural playmaker, even if Nedved stays. Our team lacks creativity, and that, along with the defence, should all have new players next season.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Josh ] ++
Jun-hide this is the thing- we can only get the right new players AFTER we get our manager. So there should IMO be a season of transition, where no new players are bought, but rather the manager spends the season figuring the team out. Who he needs and who to sell.

Off topic: The fact that Lippi didnt get any new players over the summer or even during the break prophesized his departure.
you cant be serious? if prandelli comes in, and we keep this team as it is, then we might as well not show up for the season and look forward to competing for the UEFA the season after, if we are lucky of course.

whether we want it or not, the defence needs a major overhaul and we have to get this midfield working. right now, both are fuking pathetic.

The current squad is made to fit into Lippi's plan which relies heavily on hard work, stealth and determination to grind out results. Prandelli, for example, on other hand, is much more attacking-minded coach,and who puts high value on technical ability IMO in contrast to Lippi's fitness-based approach.
on this basis, a playmaker, defenders and strikers are needed IMO. Could you imagine Prandelli trying to coach this current team? it just wont work.

needed:
RB, 4 CB, DM, PM, 2 FW

trabelsi, mexes, squillaci, ferrari, rodriguez, pedretti, van der vaart, gilardino, zlatan

drastic it is. but when you play as shit as juve are right now, whatelse can you do?

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++

you cant be serious? if prandelli comes in, and we keep this team as it is, then we might as well not show up for the season and look forward to competing for the UEFA the season after, if we are lucky of course.

whether we want it or not, the defence needs a major overhaul and we have to get this midfield working. right now, both are fuking pathetic.
i would agree on the defence, but i somehow doubt you can splash millions on the spur of the moment. big, long term buys are carefully planned out and negotiated over a period of time.

something prandelli(if he is chosen) will not have too much of once he's made in charge. how long from now till the beginning of the next season?

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Adrian ] ++

on this basis, a playmaker, defenders and strikers are needed IMO. Could you imagine Prandelli trying to coach this current team? it just wont work.

needed:
RB, 4 CB, DM, PM, 2 FW

trabelsi, mexes, squillaci, ferrari, rodriguez, pedretti, van der vaart, gilardino, zlatan

drastic it is. but when you play as shit as juve are right now, whatelse can you do?
hey, men be serious.If you plan to play next season with a whole new team we will not get even the 3th place and forget about champions league.
The same players that this season plays shit, were scudettos and CL finalist a year before.
Youre trying to apply Inter way to do the things. Juve will never change the whole team in one season, fortunately....

Aug 1, 2003
Look, for all I know Juve doesn't REALLY make THAT drastic of changes. I don't know how they'd deal with this considering that it's actually needed.

I just think we should put selling Nedved on top priority list. The price from Chelsea I heard is going down (BAD NEWS), we should sell him for the highest price as possible. From him alone we could buy priority players, and it could already be enough

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Look, for all I know Juve doesn't REALLY make THAT drastic of changes . I don't know how they'd deal with this considering that it's actually needed.

I just think we should put selling Nedved on top priority list. The price from Chelsea I heard is going down (BAD NEWS), we should sell him for the highest price as possible. From him alone we could buy priority players, and it could already be enough
correct me if i'm wrong, but wasnt it the season after we won the CL.....we sold almost all our best players --> ravanelli, vialli et al. ? :confused:

well, this season....we HAVE to make drastic changes. in my vocab, drastic means.....changing coach 1st and foremost. we know lippi is leaving, we need new coach = drastic changes :D

we need a new backline = drastic changes

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
If Juve are serious about winning the Champions League, we need some world class players - not just promising youngsters.

Promising youngsters need time exept those which have already proven themselves like Gillardino, Maresca and Miccoli for example.

What was clear about this season was:

Poor Defence
Lack Of Depth in midfield and defence

Goal scoring was not a problem! I am relaxed if we sold Trezeguet and got Gillardino. I would not sell Di Vaio.....he is a good striker and selling him now would mean taking a big loss.

Sell Nedved? Maybe if we get a great price otherwise I would keep him.

Loan out Legrottaglie - don't sell him. He just had a shocker of a season and selling him now is bad timing.

In my opinion, we need 2 WORLD CLASS central defenders and 1 WORLD CLASS defensive midfielder (no-one could fill David's boots this season).

I would like to see:

-------------------Buffon-------------------

Thuram---Mexes---Samuel---Zambro

Camoranesi--Emerson---Maresca-----

-----------------Nedved?------------------

---------Gillardino----Del Piero-----------

(p.s you don't want more than 4 new players in a starting 11....you need some continuity to ensure a good start to next season).

Subs:
Chimenti
Ferrari
Birindelli
Pessotto
Ferrara
Montero
Tacchinardi
Appiah
Conte
Kapo
Miccoli
Di Vaio
Zalayeta

Given that we have a lot of old players on our roster..selling them makes no sense as they are worth nothing. We can only sell Trez, Thuram and Nedved to get the big money. We should only sell 1 of them and that means Trezeguet. Why? He is a good striker but if he doesn't score he is baggage to the team.....does no work to help the rest of the team out. Gillardino is very hard working.

I would rather have experience and world class in defence relative to attack for next season.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

hey, men be serious.If you plan to play next season with a whole new team we will not get even the 3th place and forget about champions league.
The same players that this season plays shit, were scudettos and CL finalist a year before.
Youre trying to apply Inter way to do the things. Juve will never change the whole team in one season, fortunately....
thats the thing, if we do drastic changes, we may not win anything next season. but if we dont do these changes, we still want win anything. its a no win situation. this is why if we buy young stars, let them play next season and gel etc...then the season after that we will be great again.

dont know about you people, but i'll give up another season of not winning anything to form a side which will be good enough to win the scudetto multiple times and maybe even win the CL within the next few seasons.

does it not make sense to have mexes, ferrari, trabelsi, van der vaart, gilardino, pedretti, kapo...next season and not win anything, OR, keep the current stars who are old and offer us maybe 2 more seasons and not win anything again next season??

i know which option i would go for.

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
If Juve are serious about winning the Champions League, we need some world class players - not just promising youngsters.

Promising youngsters need time exept those which have already proven themselves like Gillardino, Maresca and Miccoli for example.

What was clear about this season was:

Poor Defence
Lack Of Depth in midfield and defence

Goal scoring was not a problem! I am relaxed if we sold Trezeguet and got Gillardino. I would not sell Di Vaio.....he is a good striker and selling him now would mean taking a big loss.

Sell Nedved? Maybe if we get a great price otherwise I would keep him.

Loan out Legrottaglie - don't sell him. He just had a shocker of a season and selling him now is bad timing.

In my opinion, we need 2 WORLD CLASS central defenders and 1 WORLD CLASS defensive midfielder (no-one could fill David's boots this season).

I would like to see:

-------------------Buffon-------------------

Thuram---Mexes---Samuel---Zambro

Camoranesi--Emerson---Maresca-----

-----------------Nedved?------------------

---------Gillardino----Del Piero-----------

(p.s you don't want more than 4 new players in a starting 11....you need some continuity to ensure a good start to next season).

Subs:
Chimenti
Ferrari
Birindelli
Pessotto
Ferrara
Montero
Tacchinardi
Appiah
Conte
Kapo
Miccoli
Di Vaio
Zalayeta

Given that we have a lot of old players on our roster..selling them makes no sense as they are worth nothing. We can only sell Trez, Thuram and Nedved to get the big money. We should only sell 1 of them and that means Trezeguet. Why? He is a good striker but if he doesn't score he is baggage to the team.....does no work to help the rest of the team out. Gillardino is very hard working.

I would rather have experience and world class in defence relative to attack for next season.
I think that you're supporting the wrong team. If you want players like Emerson and Samuel, then go watch Roma.

OP
A_LAcki

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
  • Thread Starter #37
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

100 % agree! But I would buy Jankulovski too, if we need Zambrotta in midfield!

Mar 14, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

I think that you're supporting the wrong team. If you want players like Emerson and Samuel, then go watch Roma.
    Common.....I agreed with you in almost everything but thats enough....
    Boy has a point. Do you think we can compete with best clubs in the world with Gassbaroni,Brighi,Ferarri? Take a look at Milan....they bought 4 WC players(Nesta & Seedorf & Rui & Inzaghi(ok,joke :D) )combined with discovered players like Pirlo & Dida and they are miles in front of us.

Do you want to win something or be pleased with 3-4 position in SerieA and have 2-5 youngsters in the team that are "considered" as hot-prospect?

I like Emerson and Samuel cuz you have to admire their skillz.....they would be a great improvements to anybody that is here now(and to anybody that will come) and with them we would be a serious threat to Scudetto race....not a object of laughing(Legero & Appiah matter).

Mar 14, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++

I agree............totally.
    Finaly someone that doesnt want for Juve to become a baby-garden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)