Stop stealing my artwork (1 Viewer)

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
I don't post around here anymore but its been brought to my attention that my artwork (avatars to be precise) are being used by members here without my permission.

Now the member called "gmmmu" is using an avatar which i made for my use on another site.

This isn't the first time either. My last avatar was used by someone else but I didn't bother.

I don't upload my work on sites like soccerart for a reason. If i wanted everyone to use them, i'd upload my sh*t there.

Kindly stop using my work pronto.

here are 2 of the avatars I made which are being / were used here.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
lol

nice Neddy av there Ice. ;)

yeah guys, stop using his work. This guy should sell this bad ass work. :D

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
Hey Iceblu, Lacerase (Josh) here.

I've never used your avatars before, but Im just curious- would you mind if someone used it while crediting you in their signatures? Or even graphically inserting a credit in there?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Whew. For a minute I was worried that IceBlu was going to bring up his missing car as well.

I'll return it this weekend. Promise! :D

OP
IceBlu

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    listen there smartass. You don't know me and this doesn't concern you. My work has been plagiarized time and again and i do nothing about it. Its just a pass-time to me but i hate to see my stuff floating about the internet alright ?

My social life is in order and thats the reason i don't even post here. I don't get time between college and relationships. I used to do a lot more graphical work before but I haven't had the time recently. What little I do gets used by a bunch of people I don't even know .. its not just the avatars... my sigs, wallpapers and all sorts of stuff have been stolen in the past and I don't really go about hunting down the people who not only use my stuff but go so far as to rebadge it.

Anyway, whatever. I just got reminded as to why i left this f*cked up place.

In future if anyones going to use any of my stuff just inform me or something.

Have a nice day.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I take property rights seriously. But putting your artwork on the Internet and then telling people not to use it is like putting Burke in a roomfull of naked supermodels and telling him not to look.

If you must publish it, you might want to consider watermarking it or something.

OP
    IceBlu

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Post edited for foul and abusive language - Mikhail

For the record I don't have anything against anyone. I come here with a valid problem and I get flamed by someone this doesn't even concern.

He tells me to get a life when he wastes his time flaming someone who is of little significance to him.

Gotta love that.

Apr 12, 2004
    IceBlu said:
    Post edited for foul and abusive language - Mikhail

For the record I don't have anything against anyone. I come here with a valid problem and I get flamed by someone this doesn't even concern.

He tells me to get a life when he wastes his time flaming someone who is of little significance to him.

Gotta love that.
    It sounds like you are just narrating your life:

"After he felt that he made Burke pay for such voracious diatribes, he slowly placed the penis back into his mouth......"

(As long as you know you were "flamed.")

:D

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    IceBlu, do you have a copyright? I understand what you mean, but unless you have some sort of "official claim" to them than you can't do anything. Besides, it's not like people are taking your pictures and profiting from them, they're just using them as their avatars, what's the big deal?

OP
    IceBlu

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    Zé Tahir said:
    IceBlu, do you have a copyright? I understand what you mean, but unless you have some sort of "official claim" to them than you can't do anything. Besides, it's not like people are taking your pictures and profiting from them, they're just using them as their avatars, what's the big deal?

Thats the beauty of the internet. Its called etiquette. You should pay a visit to the art community to see how seriously things are taken.

Swag you mentioned something about a watermark. How am I going to use a Getty Images type watermark on my images ? how would i use them myself then ? The purpose isn't served. Its not that hard to get rid of a watermark either.

This has become a far bigger deal that I intended it to, but people involved in the digital-art scene will testify the annoyances associated with plagiarism.

I've even had my name erased from some of my stuff and I usually don't go head hunting. People who know me know that I'm a nice enough guy and I make stuff for people on request. Taking stuff without consent on the other hand bothers me.

Why does everything have to be put into perpective? Almost nothing we do online have any real bearing on any of our lives. Why does a simple request have to become a case of me having to defend my life outside the internet ?

Whatever guys. All I made was a simple request since someone from here brought it to my attention.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    IceBlu said:
    Thats the beauty of the internet. Its called etiquette. You should pay a visit to the art community to see how seriously things are taken.
    But if you defer the burden of etiquette on people without an owner's manual to the Internet to figure that out for themselves, you're doomed to failure I'm afraid. You'll never get voluntary compliance that way. It's bad enough that many people won't even have an awareness of that being an issue.

It's bad enough that we have some nations in SE Asia, just as an example, where copyright laws simply have no cultural resonance with the public. There you have folks selling every copied DVD and software CD imaginable for about the price of the blank disk itself. So it's a complete leap of blind, and dare I say even dumb, faith that you're going to get voluntary compliance for something that is put up on the Internet for worldwide distribution -- expecting the rest of the world to think that it should be somehow treated as personal or private.

Swag you mentioned something about a watermark. How am I going to use a Getty Images type watermark on my images ? how would i use them myself then ? The purpose isn't served. Its not that hard to get rid of a watermark either.
    There are watermarking modules in many common graphical editing programs. If you don't want distribution but yet want to showcase your work, that's one way. If you want to show your work without making it too easy to allow others to copy it, there are other things you can do -- though less easy depending on where you post. Requiring HTTP referer headers to ensure that no one deep-links to your images for one. For another, you could host your images on a Web server that uses server headers to prevent people from saving the download -- such as mimicking what you get when you do a search on www.imdb.com and try to save any of their photos from movie stills to your hard drive.

You're not going to prevent people from abuse. But it's better than trying to chase down and inform every potential Internet user about how you don't want your images distributed.

This has become a far bigger deal that I intended it to, but people involved in the digital-art scene will testify the annoyances associated with plagiarism.
    Oh, it certainly is annoying. But the fact remains that the "digital-art scene" is grossly naive in thinking that posting up your artwork for all to see on the Internet isn't inviting unintended uses and consequences. And then crying foul -- often on many truly ignorant users -- is hardly a legitimate rebuttal if the rights holder does not take the appropriate steps to demonstrate intent of ownership and restriction of distribution.

I've even had my name erased from some of my stuff and I usually don't go head hunting. People who know me know that I'm a nice enough guy and I make stuff for people on request. Taking stuff without consent on the other hand bothers me.
    It should bother you. But I think you're dooming yourself to more frustration and failure if you think that posting on random message boards is going to be anything but a joke of a deterrent. Though I know you did not intend it, your post comes off very hollow because of this. It's like asking people, "Please don't breathe my air." It obviously concerns you enough to start a new thread here to express your wishes.

Good luck, though. I know it's not a simple problem to have your digital art cake and eat it too.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    LOL at my buddy Burke.

After a thread such as this I would not surprised if everybody would sport one of your 'tars at this forum...hell that would be quite funny. No offense Mr. Steel.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    RochemBeck said:
    LOL at my buddy Burke.

After a thread such as this I would not surprised if everybody would sport one of your 'tars at this forum...hell that would be quite funny. No offense Mr. Steel.
    I was thinkin the same thing :pumpkin:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    swag said:
    such as mimicking what you get when you do a search on www.imdb.com and try to save any of their photos from movie stills to your hard drive.
    So that's what it is, bloody imdb making me launch gimp everytime. Or you could pile through your browser cache but that's like going through your garbage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)