Stop or We Sue, RIAA Says (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Stop or We Sue, RIAA Says

The RIAA is set to sue thousands of song swappers.
Watch today at 10 a.m., 1 p.m., 6 p.m. Eastern.

By Steve Enders, Tech Live Web producer

File swappers, beware. The RIAA may sue you.

Yeah, yeah, you've heard this warning before, right?

Think again.

In a surprise announcement Wednesday, the Recording Industry Association of America issued its strongest warning yet to file swappers: It's watching who's downloading and uploading music online, and it's set to sue lawbreaking song swappers.

Tonight on "Tech Live," get the very latest on this story, including reaction from the industry, digital rights advocates, and song swappers.

'The law is clear'

According to an RIAA statement released Wednesday, the industry is ready to use lawsuits to stop people from illegally downloading music with file-swapping software such as KaZaA and Morpheus.

"The law is clear and the message to those who are distributing substantial quantities of music online should be equally clear -- this activity is illegal, you are not anonymous when you do it, and engaging in it can have real consequences," RIAA President Cary Sherman said in the prepared statement. "We'd much rather spend time making music then (sic) dealing with legal issues in courtrooms. But we cannot stand by while piracy takes a devastating toll on artists, musicians, songwriters, retailers, and everyone in the music industry."

The statement was endorsed by dozens of popular recording artists, including Sheryl Crow, The Dixie Chicks, Peter Gabriel, and Missy Elliot.

The RIAA says it's beginning to gather evidence in order to bring lawsuits to the doors of file swappers. Lawsuits could begin as soon as mid-August.

To gather evidence, the RIAA says it's using software to scan public directories available to any user of a P2P network. The software then downloads information on users who make files available to the P2P networks, recording data such as what file is being offered and when it was made available. The only way to ensure you're not a target of the RIAA is to disable your software's ability to trade files, or get rid of the software altogether.

Representative Mary Bono (R-California) recently founded the Intellectual Property Promotion and Piracy Prevention Caucus to address piracy concerns. Bono has also been named as a possible successor to Hilary Rosen, the RIAA's outgoing chief executive and top lobbyist.

Today on Capitol Hill, Bono responded to the RIAA's announcement by saying the government is committed to finding solutions based on what's best for all parties involved.

"We want to meet these growing needs and grow with the Internet as it grows, but still protect private property and intellectual property rights," she said.

Using ISPs to target individuals

The RIAA will then identify users and contact them through subpoenas served to the users' Internet service providers.

This same tactic was used in the recent case that made it easier for the RIAA to go after individual downloaders. In the RIAA's case against Verizon, a federal appeals court ordered Verizon to hand over the names of four of its ISP customers pursued by the RIAA as illegal song swappers. Verizon has given the RIAA the customers' names, and the RIAA has sent the four song swappers cease and desist letters. Verizon is appealing the decision.

"Once we begin our evidence-gathering process, any individual computer user who continues to offer music illegally to millions of others will run the very real risk of facing legal action in the form of civil lawsuits that will cost violators thousands of dollars and potentially subject them to criminal prosecution," Sherman said in the statement.

The statement goes on to cite the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (PDF) as giving the RIAA permission to directly pursue song swappers.

The battle continues

The RIAA says it has worked with a number of companies to provide consumers plenty of legal opportunities to download good-quality music from the Internet.

In a recent interview with "Tech Live," the RIAA's Rosen pointed a finger at music uploaders -- not downloaders -- saying she thinks users of KaZaA and other file-swapping networks are getting "crappy" music.

In a statement released Wednesday, Sharman Networks, makers of KaZaA, said "we vigorously discourage copyright infringement" and that the company remains dedicated to educating customers.

Sharman, however, also took a swipe at the RIAA and its new tactic to monitor P2P networks.

"We, along with the communications and computing industry, consumer groups and many legislators, are deeply concerned about random attacks on people's privacy, potentially damaging attacks on their computers, and harassment of citizens," the statement reads. "It is unfortunate that the RIAA has chosen to declare war on its customers by engaging in protracted and expensive litigation, when the problem of copyright piracy on peer-to-peer networks can be solved with existing software and business partnerships between the record labels and the providers of peer-to-peer software."

techtv.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
i wish them good luck, they actually think they're gonna take legal action against Millions of people :LOL:

BTW, i didn't know you watched techTV Martin :thumb:

their site is pretty good too :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #5
    Well I don't, I just found the site a while ago. They have short clips on there but it's not much. Quality of the material is usually decent though. :cool:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Well I don't, I just found the site a while ago. They have short clips on there but it's not much. Quality of the material is usually decent though. :cool:
    we get the cable TV channel here....
    it's pretty good but i dont watch it that much anymore. My Grandfather only watches this channel (and the NFL).

he actually learned a lot about computers by himself in just a few years.
    now, he's playing with registry variables, he has 2 OS's on his PC and he recently bought a laptop and a PDA :cool:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    we get the cable TV channel here....
    it's pretty good but i dont watch it that much anymore. My Grandfather only watches this channel (and the NFL).

he actually learned a lot about computers by himself in just a few years.
    now, he's playing with registry variables, he has 2 OS's on his PC and he recently bought a laptop and a PDA :cool:
    That's very nice, what I like about them is they don't dumb it down to idiot level, the content is "just right" for many people I think. I wish they had something like that here.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    they say they are only going to get the users with the most files, downloads etc so Majed and Martin you're nicked! :D

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    hah, and i live way down here...they probably think malaysia is a type of plant grown near singapore....;)

im so downloading 12 movies right now :greedy:

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    I kinda only use download to check songs out, then if I like them I will usually buy the album or single. Unless its old songs that are hard to get a hold of, like for my 80's compilations :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    I've turned over a new leaf, I am now going to buy albums :eek:
    I only buy albums on sale when they cost about 7-10 quid or so. The booger thing about copying is that you don't have the lyrics and such.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    I only buy albums on sale when they cost about 7-10 quid or so. The booger thing about copying is that you don't have the lyrics and such.
    yes, but you often don't get the lyrics even when you purchase the albums, not many albums here in the UK will have the lyrics printed inside. The last 5 albums I've bought don't anyway (Justin, Sean Paul, 50 cent, Beyonce, wayne wonder)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    yes, but you often don't get the lyrics even when you purchase the albums, not many albums here in the UK will have the lyrics printed inside. The last 5 albums I've bought don't anyway (Justin, Sean Paul, 50 cent, Beyonce, wayne wonder)
    Really? I only have one or two albums that don't contain lyrics (out of perhaps 40 albums I bought over the years). But still the original thing looks better than a copied version.

Not that I pay 20 quid for that though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)