Still envious of Roma's defence? (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I remember people saying that Roma and their defence will be unbeatable this year. Now look at them. They only have 5 points, in 13th place and have conceded 12 goals in 5 games, while we have conceded only 1. To top it off, Mexes played like shit tonight, and has been far from brilliant this season. Still scared of their defence?

Like I said a month and a half ago, they might have the talent but they still havent proved anything.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I concede that I was one of those people who thought that Roma'll have the best diffense.

To my defense:
1. All the out of field problems surrounding the team didn't help.
2. Chivu is still out.
3. The season just started.. I also said that they need time.
4. Del Neri's attacking tactics won't imporve the defense's moral soon.

Anyway, I'm shocked with Mexes's performaces (I still didn't see the Inter game.. I only read the reports and seen the highlights). In the USA tour however, he's been fantastic. Even Ferrari is performing way below his level now.

To answer the question, no. I am not envious of them anymore. However, I belive that they'll get their act together later this season. Chivu will be key.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I actually thought Roma would have a very good defense, but I wasn't expecting injuries to occur and a pushover coach in the name of Voeller to take charge. I wasn't so sure about how Mexes would turn out to be, and so far he isn't showing the class he should. Same with Ferrari. But I have a feeling that Mexes would turn out better if he was in a much more sensible enviornment, a la Juventus.

But overall I'm very pleased at Roma's start. :D:D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I was thinking of this very same subject. Mexes has hardly looked like the great catch we missed out on. But IMO, Cufre has been particularly abysmal for Roma. The Inter game today was more than sufficient proof.

Even when Chivu comes into the lineup, this is a defense that's pretty lacking in organization. Too often they are caught on their heels as if pulling a feeble offside trap -- the kind of misery Juve's defense suffered much of last season. I have to blame the coaching staff there for a good chunk of the preparation responsibilities that seem lacking.

About the only bright spots I've noticed about Roma this season thus far have been Montella's streak and the promising play of De Rossi. It definitely hasn't been the defense. :rolleyes:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
to think that some people keeps annoyingly brought out Mexes's name everytime we were scored against last season...:howler:

this just show that star transfers are very limited and we shouldnt judge a whole season based on transfer campaign alone...its the team enviroemnt devolepement that is more important.....

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
After all theirs was a long term investment, I doubt it was all for nothing. Might be a struggle now but in 2 years Thuram/Canna will look more like Legro/Montero of last year perhaps, while Mexes/Ferrari/Chivu could all be in the prime of their careers. You can't weigh a short term investment against a long term one like this.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
After all theirs was a long term investment, I doubt it was all for nothing. Might be a struggle now but in 2 years Thuram/Canna will look more like Legro/Montero of last year perhaps, while Mexes/Ferrari/Chivu could all be in the prime of their careers. You can't weigh a short term investment against a long term one like this.
Well said

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
Well, considering Roma's great fiancial strenght, I don't think they have time for mexes and Ferrari to get slowly develop. If they screwup this season, and miss champs league, they will probably be really screwed long term wise anyways. They will probably have to sell off somebody from their team, Totti, Cassano, Chivu, well, you name it , he'll probalby be on sale.

Hmmm, come to think about it , good transfer campaign this season for Roma,

:D now all we have to do is wait till the end of the season for their player sale :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Arttk ] ++

Well, considering Roma's great fiancial strenght, I don't think they have time for mexes and Ferrari to get slowly develop. If they screwup this season, and miss champs league, they will probably be really screwed long term wise anyways. They will probably have to sell off somebody from their team, Totti, Cassano, Chivu, well, you name it , he'll probalby be on sale.

Hmmm, come to think about it , good transfer campaign this season for Roma,

:D now all we have to do is wait till the end of the season for their player sale :D
Good point too.... I guess you can call it a gamble when they bought Mexes and Ferrari if their goal was also immediate success.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Most Roma fans are under the impression they're "building for the future" with all the young players coming through their ranks. So a project to cut costs and maintain a low wage budget in the coming years I imagine, we'll see how that works out.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Most Roma fans are under the impression they're "building for the future" with all the young players coming through their ranks. So a project to cut costs and maintain a low wage budget in the coming years I imagine, we'll see how that works out.
It does look like it and i'm sure that it's the club's main goal, but I don't know how long they can last when they get even more financially crippled every year.

If Roma don't ome close to the serire A, then One of Totti or Cassano will surely leave.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Madrid will never get Totti

Mexes and Ferrari need time to get together and understand together and with Pellizolli, Chivu is injured as well, so you cant say the defence is rubbish, when they havent had time and arent completely there!

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
Just as i said all the time, Mexes is nothing, but hyped, just a avergae defender, he hasnt proved anything. And Roma's defense is a joke.

Juve (who everyone was making fun of their defense) do no have the best defense in the world. They only needed Canna and Zebina. Who didnt cost much either.

Young talented CB players in defense- no thanks, ill go for proven experienced world class players, like Cannavaro.

Arttk

Jul 30, 2004
Madrid will never get Totti
well depends how much cash madrid throws at Roma

If Roma is as rich as Man utd, then you don't have to worry about Madrid coming in and buying Totti.

But Roma has as much money as Leeds Utd, so it wouldn't be long before Totti becomes another galatico.

Well, it would be nice for us to have either one of Chivu, Mexes and Ferrari. We have some good experienced world class cb in Montero, Cana, Thuram and Ferrera to teach youngsters how to defend.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Of course he has ambitions, and if Roma do go completely downhill, and are no longer challenging for anything every season, then I wouldnt begrudge Totti for leaving...

but he wont go to Milan!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)