Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life (2 Viewers)

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Juventino[RUS];5021647 said:
:lol:

How many universes does it take to make the multiverse?

“If we do, in fact, live in a multiverse, with multiple universes arising out of the Big Bang, how many are there? Andrei Linde and Vitaly Vanchurin at Stanford University have been working to calculate a number, based on quantum fluctuations in the early state of the universe. Their tally indicates that there are at least 10^10^10^7 universes out there. The human brain, however, could not possibly distinguish between all of those universes, however, as it is only capable of 10^10^16 configurations.”

“We know it's a very large number.” In just one image for example, the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, above, there are about 10,000 galaxies visible. In our own galaxy, There are between 4 billion 100-300 billion stars in the Milky Way.
does not matter.

they’ll say whatever exists has been created by god.

you can not argue with religious people.

Buy on AliExpress.com

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Seeking is one thing. Farting is another. I mean, sure, we can't do anything about the I Love Lucy reruns we've beamed out to alien life already. But my point about Hawking's position is that we don't want to be found. Because if we had been by intelligent life, chances are we'd become an alien mine, an alien slave colony, an alien butcher shop, or some combination of that.

Or worse... Our planet accepts a bailout from the Intergalactic Monetary Fund.
Imagine all the money Greece could borrow from Aliens.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Imagine all the money Greece could borrow from Aliens.
space cash

- - - Updated - - -

Seeking is one thing. Farting is another. I mean, sure, we can't do anything about the I Love Lucy reruns we've beamed out to alien life already. But my point about Hawking's position is that we don't want to be found. Because if we had been by intelligent life, chances are we'd become an alien mine, an alien slave colony, an alien butcher shop, or some combination of that.

:agree:

Maybe alien life has found us and they don't want to interfere. Or maybe they haven't and they would destroy humans/all life/the planet, turn us into slaves or claim earth for their own. Or maybe they would be benevolent. Or something else... But I agree, I think it's best not to be found.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Hawking is also notoriously scared of artificial intelligence. And perhaps with good reason. But our curious nature and the possible benefits will always have us looking for it.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Hawking is also notoriously scared of artificial intelligence. And perhaps with good reason. But our curious nature and the possible benefits will always have us looking for it.
It could be playing with fire, we can't even control outbreaks of pests...

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
There is also a chance that the Earth's bacteria could prove fatal to them, or that any they bring could end life on Earth. Radiation is another issue.

Mar 9, 2006
benefits from the space are pretty tasty - unlimited sources of gold, silver,platinum, iron, cobalt, water etc.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a chance that the Earth's bacteria could prove fatal to them, or that any they bring could end life on Earth. Radiation is another issue.
one of the biggest problems

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Like human genetic modification. We could be doing more of it, but it's only the Chinese who have no ethics to stop.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Also a huge for human space travel, even to just a planet away.

Obviously our end goal is easy, fast and comfortable space travel. As it stands today we'd need to dramatically lengthen human lifespan before anyone would even consider space travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Like human genetic modification. We could be doing more of it, but it's only the Chinese who have no ethics to stop.
Indeed. But you can't stop the evolution. We will tinker with our DNA. All you can do is hope that it ends well.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well, there's evolution through natural selection. We're quite likely in an era of unnatural selection.
Yes, but we have been for almost 100 years now one could argue. I've had malaria a bunch of times for example. 100 years ago I would surely have died.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
:agree:

Maybe alien life has found us and they don't want to interfere. Or maybe they haven't and they would destroy humans/all life/the planet, turn us into slaves or claim earth for their own. Or maybe they would be benevolent. Or something else... But I agree, I think it's best not to be found.
I disagree. Imo that's the wrong attitude to have. We need to find out as much as we possibly can about anything we can.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Oh, I would be dead. As a good friend of mine who is the head of surgery at a major hospital puts his job: "My job is to resist natural selection."

Except it's not just humans: it's the life forms around us, our food supply, vegetation, etc. The Anthropocene is upon us.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh, I would be dead. As a good friend of mine who is the head of surgery at a major hospital puts his job: "My job is to resist natural selection."

Except it's not just humans: it's the life forms around us, our food supply, vegetation, etc. The Anthropocene is upon us.

Fascinating times though. Possibly the most interesting era to be alive.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I disagree. Imo that's the wrong attitude to have. We need to find out as much as we possibly can about anything we can.
At the risk of being annihilated? What would be the point then?

- - - Updated - - -

Fascinating times though. Possibly the most interesting era to be alive.
I strongly disagree, it's unlikely we're going to have real space travel for any time soon. In 100 years time our technology today will look even more primitive than what technology 100 years ago looks like to us. Maybe from an evolution perspective, but not from a technological one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)