Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
At the risk of being annihilated? What would be the point then?

- - - Updated - - -

I strongly disagree, it's unlikely we're going to have real space travel for any time soon. In 100 years time our technology today will look even more primitive than what technology 100 years ago looks like to us. Maybe from an evolution perspective, but not from a technological one.
Well obviously I'm not taking the future into account. Duh.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Juventino[RUS];5021976 said:
we need to reach the speed of light, and even with it it will take around 70 years to visit that new "earth"
Actually, at the speed of light it would take 1,400 years. Meaning: if we put Mohammed on rocket skates and launched him at light speed toward Cygnus, he might be arriving around now.

Mar 9, 2006
Actually, at the speed of light it would take 1,400 years. Meaning: if we put Mohammed on rocket skates and launched him at light speed toward Cygnus, he might be arriving around now.
no, now we are seeing what's going on there 1,400 years ago because the planet is 1,400 light years away from us and from "their" perspective Earth is in 600AD now, so if you put the people on the spaceship and it will gain the speed of light so for these people it will "only" take ~70 years to reach that planet, this stuff is blowing my mind, it's all about perspective

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Juventino[RUS];5022142 said:
no, now we are seeing what's going on there 1,400 years ago because the planet is 1,400 light years away from us and from "their" perspective Earth is in 600AD now, so if you put the people on the spaceship and it will gain the speed of light so for these people it will "only" take ~70 years to reach that planet, this stuff is blowing my mind, it's all about perspective
Either swag means 140 years or you mean 700...

Mar 9, 2006
My perspective is usually from earth though.
Either swag means 140 years or you mean 700...
Just think about it - if you are on that ship and you've traveled for "only" ~70 years to that planet to explore the new world and maybe alien life but at the same time your own planet became alien world for yourself too because if you will travel back it will mean that you wasn't at home for 2,800 years.........jeez

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Juventino[RUS];5022149 said:
Just think about it - if you are on that ship and you've traveled for "only" ~70 years to that planet to explore the new world and maybe alien life but at the same time your own planet became alien world for yourself too and if you will travel back it will mean that you wasn't at home for 2,800 years.........jeez
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but what I'm saying is if we're seeing there 1400 years later, then it would take 700 years to get there at the same speed of light.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
He's talking about the perspective of the person traveling at the speed of light and how they won't look like they age from our perspective on earth, while we'd age at an accelerated rate from their perspective. Relativity sheeet.

Mar 9, 2006
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but what I'm saying is if we're seeing there 1400 years later, then it would take 700 years to get there at the same speed of light.
No, the time is slows when you get close to the speed of light, so if you are on that ship you need only 70 years or so to travel 1400 light years

1 light year =
9.4605284 × 1012 kilometers

The speed of light in a vacuum is 299,792 kilometers per second

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
He's talking about the perspective of the person traveling at the speed of light and how they won't look like they age from our perspective on earth, while we'd age at an accelerated rate from their perspective. Relativity sheeet.
Juventino[RUS];5022155 said:
No, the time is slows when you get close to the speed of light, so if you are on that ship you need only 70 years or so to travel 1400 light years

1 light year =
9.4605284 × 1012 kilometers

The speed of light in a vacuum is 299,792 kilometers per second
Right. I thought you meant something else...

Mar 9, 2006
So, that planet is
It's the smallest exoplanet discovered to date discovered orbiting in the habitable zone of a G2-class star, just like the Earth and the Sun.
Kepler-452b is 60 percent larger in diameter than Earth and is considered a super-Earth-size planet.
It's likely rocky.
While Kepler-452b is larger than Earth, its 385-day orbit is only 5 percent longer.
The planet is 5 percent farther from its parent star Kepler-452 than Earth is from the Sun.
Kepler-452 is 6 billion years old, 1.5 billion years older than our sun, has the same temperature, and is 20 percent brighter and has a diameter 10 percent larger.
The Kepler-452 system is located 1,400 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus.
They also said that the planet is likely to have lots of clouds and possibly active volcanoes
They also said that it receives about 10% more energy than the earth does because of the proximity and age of the nearby star, I think this would mean it would have a little bit of a higher temperature
Also since it is 6 billion years old there is way more time than we have had on Earth for life to have developed given the chance

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Lol. In our current system it is, yes. But that is something we agreed upon, not necessarily reality.

But what I was talking about specifically was empty financial products making people millions. Finance becomes complex when it doesn't represent anything of tangible value anymore. And when it doesn't, you're basically selling and buying air.
Whether it be debt or equity financing, or garnering a loan from a local bank to start a business, capital is always the lifeblood of an operation. Obviously you know that.

If you meant that some of the investment banks serve no true purpose other than siphoning off interest as an intermediary, then I would agree in many cases. Derivative products of packaged debt several times over only socializes the risk to the overall economy in many cases, which we have already seen through mortgage-backed d's. But that is more of a function of central bank and government idiocy.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Whether it be debt or equity financing, or garnering a loan from a local bank to start a business, capital is always the lifeblood of an operation. Obviously you know that.

If you meant that some of the investment banks serve no true purpose other than siphoning off interest as an intermediary, then I would agree in many cases. Derivative products of packaged debt several times over only socializes the risk to the overall economy in many cases, which we have already seen through mortgage-backed d's. But that is more of a function of central bank and government idiocy.

Because we made it so. There have been societies without money. In our society today everything does start with capital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)