Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life (1 Viewer)

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Well, I know I am morally obligated to eat meat. Serves them animals right for causing so much suffering to other animals and innocent plants.
but the animals dont know what they are doing @Seven.
while we very well know it.

and you can eat meat all you want. go outside with your hunting rifle,
shoot a deer for your family. i wont mind.
but this is where it stops imo:

massentierhaltung-huehner.jpg

...but yeah...we are allowed to do it because we are so much better then animals.
reason enough i guess.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
but the animals dont know what they are doing @Seven.
while we very well know it.

and you can eat meat all you want. go outside with your hunting rifle,
shoot a deer for your family. i wont mind.
but this is where it stops imo:

massentierhaltung-huehner.jpg

...but yeah...we are allowed to do it because we are so much better then animals.
reason enough i guess.

Chimps are very well aware of what they are doing. And it's friggin' brutal.

It is unfortunate how we treat chickens. I also don't know how aware they are of it all. I do know some birds possess quite a bit of intelligence. Either way, I don't condone such behaviour. But animals are no better. We're just smarter.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Because the aliens would wipe out humanity, but let you and your friends live free? It doesn't really work that way..

Misanthropy is silly anyway. There are better things to do and think.
and where exactly did i say that?

and yes, it is for those who have given up on thinking people will change :agree:

edit:

being smarter than others = do whatever you want to them. :tup:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Intelligent life, in current theory:

- takes billions of years to develop from single-celled organisms
- is a rare event of evolution
- is limited by the life cycle of the host planet's biosphere, which in turn is limited by the surrounding solar system, local system, and extinction events
- could destroy itself in a very small time frame (in universal terms)
- the earliest examples are mostly/all extinct (the Universe is ~14 billion years old)
- may have evolved beyond our levels of communication and understanding, i.e. existing in another dimension

Mar 9, 2006

- is limited by the life cycle of the host planet's biosphere, which in turn is limited by the surrounding solar system, local system, and extinction events
- the earliest examples are mostly/all extinct (the Universe is ~14 billion years old)
- may have evolved beyond our levels of communication and understanding, i.e. existing in another dimension
Plus, the black holes - what's inside them.....

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Yes.. And none of that matters when you consider the sheer size of the universe. When presented with an almost infinite amount of possibilities, it is bound to exist somewhere.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yes.. And none of that matters when you consider the sheer size of the universe. When presented with an almost infinite amount of possibilities, it is bound to exist somewhere.
It definitely does, pure numbers. But the distances involved range from almost impossible to navigate even with SOL travel, to impossible to comprehend, to the point where we will never get close to 0.1% of contact distance in the entirety of our existence.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I have a certain dislike for people who present humans as evil and animals as innocent and pure. We're just better. We're top of the food chain. That doesn't mean we are evil and all other animals are cuddly.
It's a variant on the "noble savages" myth that many evolutionary biologists have come to ridicule.

Juventino[RUS];5021604 said:
Bah. Drake doesn't even write his own raps.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Juventino[RUS];5021614 said:
and it will be another nail in the coffin of religion so let's pray
nah...religion will never die.

there is 1 God.

he created everything. the entire universe and everything in it. ;)

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011

The whole thing is too much for humans to comprehend

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The whole thing is too much for humans to comprehend
You do get the impression that we are farting in the wind in terms of this scale, but the search for knowledge has advanced not just science but everyday life, so there is no need to stop.

Mar 9, 2006
nah...religion will never die.

there is 1 God.

he created everything. the entire universe and everything in it.
;)
:lol:

How many universes does it take to make the multiverse?

“If we do, in fact, live in a multiverse, with multiple universes arising out of the Big Bang, how many are there? Andrei Linde and Vitaly Vanchurin at Stanford University have been working to calculate a number, based on quantum fluctuations in the early state of the universe. Their tally indicates that there are at least 10^10^10^7 universes out there. The human brain, however, could not possibly distinguish between all of those universes, however, as it is only capable of 10^10^16 configurations.”

“We know it's a very large number.” In just one image for example, the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, above, there are about 10,000 galaxies visible. In our own galaxy, There are between 4 billion 100-300 billion stars in the Milky Way.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
You do get the impression that we are farting in the wind in terms of this scale, but the search for knowledge has advanced not just science but everyday life, so there is no need to stop.
Of course but I'm just saying I think there's more to it than we can even think about (in terms of theories etc) with humans' way of thinking and understanding, it would just be far too abstract and just not understandable or comprehendable, even for someone like stephen hawking

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
The problem with looking for alien life is that we are basically limited to our own Galaxy. Looking for life in any other galaxy is simply impossible because it's literally millions of light years. Unless we figure how to jump space using the Einstein-Rosenn bridge or some of its variation.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Very true. But we have done the same with great success in the past. And we do this type of thing in a lot of sectors. Sometimes all you have is that lucky shot.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Seeking is one thing. Farting is another. I mean, sure, we can't do anything about the I Love Lucy reruns we've beamed out to alien life already. But my point about Hawking's position is that we don't want to be found. Because if we had been by intelligent life, chances are we'd become an alien mine, an alien slave colony, an alien butcher shop, or some combination of that.

Or worse... Our planet accepts a bailout from the Intergalactic Monetary Fund.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)