Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life (4 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The most infuriating part is that in recent decades most money has been made in sectors that have done nothing to contribute to society. I'm looking at the finance and legal sector here.. With the focus on STEM degrees that is changing, albeit slowly.
What types of finance? You do know finance is essentially the basis/lifeblood for all businesses AND governents, right?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Stephen probably wants to find the alien technology to reverse his turning into a shrivelled orange peel. Can't blame him

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What types of finance? You do know finance is essentially the basis/lifeblood for all businesses AND governents, right?
Lol. In our current system it is, yes. But that is something we agreed upon, not necessarily reality.

But what I was talking about specifically was empty financial products making people millions. Finance becomes complex when it doesn't represent anything of tangible value anymore. And when it doesn't, you're basically selling and buying air.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
fully deserved. :tup:

even better would be if they treat us how we treat animals.

No. Though animals can feel pain and some of them even have personalities they are so far removed from human beings in terms of intelligence and awareness that you cannot possible compare the human experience with that of an animal.

Even if I disagree with a lot of the ways we treat animals, human beings are simply on a completely other level.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
No. Though animals can feel pain and some of them even have personalities they are so far removed from human beings in terms of intelligence and awareness that you cannot possible compare the human experience with that of an animal.

Even if I disagree with a lot of the ways we treat animals, human beings are simply on a completely other level.
does not mean we are allowed to treat them like dogshit?

and the fact that humans are fully aware of what they are doing makes me even more sad.
(generally speaking - not just about animals)
we are the only creatures that can feel sadness, empathy they say...looking
at the news all over the world will make you doubt.

i cant wait for a more intelligent creature to wipe the floor with us.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
does not mean we are allowed to treat them like dogshit?

and the fact that humans are fully aware of what they are doing makes me even more sad.
(generally speaking - not just about animals)
we are the only creatures that can feel sadness, empathy they say...looking
at the news all over the world will make you doubt.

i cant wait for a more intelligent creature to wipe the floor with us.

(generally speaking - not just animals)

Of course not. And like I said I disagree with a lot of the things we do to animals. But you can't hope for someone to treat human beings like animals. We are so different and so much smarter that it simply doesn't work that way.

As for hoping that another creature will wipe us out, I am sad that you would hate yourself that much. It also makes you come across as a pubescent girl who thinks she knows it all.

Last but not least, you vastly underestimate the brutalities animals inflict on each other. The levels of cannibalism and infanticide of chimps come to mind for example.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I know I am morally obligated to eat meat. Serves them animals right for causing so much suffering to other animals and innocent plants.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well, I know I am morally obligated to eat meat. Serves them animals right for causing so much suffering to other animals and innocent plants.

I have a certain dislike for people who present humans as evil and animals as innocent and pure. We're just better. We're top of the food chain. That doesn't mean we are evil and all other animals are cuddly.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Juventino[RUS];5021597 said:
even if they exist the odds that they will understand us are 0,000000000000000000000000001%
They are looking for alien life they can communicate with. As has been pointed out more than once recently, the odds of alien life existing are very high. After all the universe is so big that we can't even begin to understand how big it is. There are a seemingly infinite number of planets in the universe. For alien life to exist, just one of these would have to be able to produce life. And we already know planets that would be capable of producing life as we know it.

So aliens most likely do exist. Aliens we can communicate with is a different story.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
As for hoping that another creature will wipe us out, I am sad that you would hate yourself that much. It also makes you come across as a pubescent girl who thinks she knows it all.
:lol:

being a misanthrophe does not mean i hate myself,
neather does it mean i hate all humans.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
:lol:

being a misanthrophe does not mean i hate myself,
neather does it mean i hate all humans.
Because the aliens would wipe out humanity, but let you and your friends live free? It doesn't really work that way..

Misanthropy is silly anyway. There are better things to do and think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)