Stefano Sturaro (11 Viewers)

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
What makes you think he will be better? At 22 a players talent/skill level should be evident, and I dont see in what way he could be better then Khedira except aggression (and health).
Not necessarily though. Many-many players were nowhere in age of 22 (Diego Costa, Luca Toni etc.) and vice versa - there are others who were considered prodigy or at least good player (like Bojan etc.).
Sturaro can improve in ball-handling, passing, tactical awareness etc. It doesn't mean that he would be able to pass like Pirlo, but hey Marchisio was known for a while as a an average CM or even AM (Lippi played him there in NT and it was a disaster) and now he is a great passer and DM.

All I'm saying that if Sturaro would work to improve he might be someday a player better then Sami. Why not? Tbh I love Marchisio with all my heart (as I loved Maresca, Paro etc. – any player from our primavera), but at one point I thought that that goal against Inter was his best moment in career and we should get a better CM to replace him. It turns out I was completely wrong.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah you can improve with age, sometimes by alot, but mainly with offensive players IMO (more confidence/mentality thing with them, being in right place in right time to grow), or defenders who are governed by their mental fortitude and experience in handling sitautions.

But with DMs&defensive CMs even if you can find different roles or grow with experience, your overall abilities rarely change much. If you are a water carrier type of worker like Sturaro, you arent likely to suddenly add different more varied qualities to your game to do completely something else. Marchisio defenitely improved, but its also because his core abilities was allways well rounded, technically, offensively, in passing, decent tackling. Its just that he stopped being lost in being jack of all trades that was put anywhere they pleased that was detrimental to his growth, to now truly finding his role with experience. But the abilities that make him strong in this holding role isnt new one, tactical knowledge and positioning is prolly something you gain with experience. But how he controls plays, passes, reads things, tackles or high technical elvel is qualities that been his partly for most of his career.

His flaw rarely been lack of ability in the past, just lack of consistency to find where would fit. For example he was never a 4-4-2 player but thats where he played mostly prior to Conte (briefly 3 man one with Ferrara). He was too soft for hard task of 2 pair CM role, so they pushed him wide or box to box more upfront. But with Conte he find exactly the 3 man midfield to fully more express himself with less burden or less need to be pushed wide/too high up. To coming full circle as holding mid. A nice trajectory of mediocre/inconsistent CM/winger in 4-4-2's to fantastic box to box CM in 4-3-3/3-5-2 to now IMO world class holding mid. He has allways been a player thats adapted to where he is needed too much, but thankfully being pushed out by Pogba from starting eleven made them realize he is by far the best fit to play in holding mid after Pirlo. A blessing for sure.

I got sidetracked, but point I was making is even if players can allways improve, I just dont see someone like Sturaro improving to such a degree thats necessary like those examples you gave. His player type is fairly straight forward limited hardworker ones. I dont see that extra abilities in his arsenal to grow to another type of player (tactical awareness defenitely, but the other qualities you mentionned, you should have the affinity for them already at 22-23 to truly express yourself at them). And his current role he is aggressive and his all, but generally thats not enough in todays game where midfielders have to be so complete.

Jun 6, 2015
Agree with Osman. Sturaro will probably improve in his role as a ball winning mid but the comparison to Khedira is a bit unfair as Khedira is completely different player. Sami has excellent technical ability aswell as passing ability. Sami himself was highly promising youngster and much more promising at the age of 22 than Sturaro is now.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think he'll ever be as good as Khedira, although he's a different sort of player. I also don't think that really matters as I don't see him being an absolute starter but someone who will play 25 games a season and prove very useful.

He's very good as a defensive minded midfielder and he can also play a bit. Obviously you need a bit more than that to start for Juventus but there is some room for improvement. What he will improve on is his calmness on the ball, because he gets quite panicky at times, and that kills his passing and touch. Those are his weakest areas. His shooting is good, his overall technique is decent. I imagine by the time he is 25-26 he will have polished those aspects off and you'll see a more complete player rather than someone who is used mostly as a safety option to protect the midfield.

Whether he wants to stay at Juve to have that role over the coming years, or play 35 games for Lazio or move somewhere like Watford is totally up to him. Or someone better might come in and phase him out.

TheTruth

Aug 24, 2015
Sturaro has some underrated passing skills though. That one through ball to Morata against Frosinone, I didn't know he was capable of those and he had some other nice ones as well. He scored a nice goal against Napoli last year also. Hope he can reproduce that kind of performance, even though they've improved significantly.

The thing about Khedira, his movement is very good and he can play the short passing game which plays the other midfielders through and creates space on the flanks.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Sturaro has some underrated passing skills though. That one through ball to Morata against Frosinone, I didn't know he was capable of those and he had some other nice ones as well. He scored a nice goal against Napoli last year also. Hope he can reproduce that kind of performance, even though they've improved significantly.

The thing about Khedira, his movement is very good and he can play the short passing game which plays the other midfielders through and creates space on flanks.
He was spraying some beautiful passes around in the Coppa Game against Lazio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)