Stefano Sturaro (74 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Of course I was. But when the stadium is full of banners that say "2-2 let's send the spaghettis home" and the game ends 2-2, it's suspicious to say the least. Italy brought it upon themselves, no doubt, but that game was fixed.
I don't think it was rigged, just a huge coincidence. Such banners can appear in any stadium around the world. The thing that really pissed me off was the reaction afterwards. Although the more I think about it the more I come to understand that the reaction was normal. However it would have been better if the Italians focused on why they have a habit of being nonchalant at the beginning of tournaments thereby finding themselves in those situations.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't think it was rigged, just a huge coincidence. Such banners can appear in any stadium around the world. The thing that really pissed me off was the reaction afterwards. Although the more I think about it the more I come to understand that the reaction was normal. However it would have been better if the Italians focused on why they have a habit of being nonchalant at the beginning of tournaments thereby finding themselves in those situations.
Oh yeah, definitely.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure it was rigged.. But that in itself wouldn't have been so bad. After all Italy did fuck up themselves too. It's the reaction of the Sweden and Denmark players afterwards that really got to me. Offended that people even thought they may have drawn intentionally. They are good, honest Scandinavians. Who are these Italians to say such things?

It was then that I realised just how much we, Western-Northern Europeans, can be racist cunts :D.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Oh yeah, definitely.
We will never know for sure.

I'm pretty sure it was rigged.. But that in itself wouldn't have been so bad. After all Italy did fuck up themselves too. It's the reaction of the Sweden and Denmark players afterwards that really got to me. Offended that people even thought they may have drawn intentionally. They are good, honest Scandinavians. Who are these Italians to say such things?

It was then that I realised just how much we, Western-Northern Europeans, can be racist cunts :D.
What did you expect after the accusations started flying around? The sensationalist's papers didn't help matters.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What did you expect after the accusations started flying around? The sensationalist's papers didn't help matters.
They could have shown some decency. Fixing a game and then accusing the victim of being a sore loser is just plain evil.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
it sure felt like the Italians love this kind of drama more than victory itself.
Look. It's one thing to say Italians complain a lot. But when you have the entire stadium filled with banners claiming you will fix the game and play 2-2 and you then end the game at 2-2, you cannot then have the audacity to say the Italians are seeing things that aren't there. It was a sad day for football.

Also remember that this was just two years after the biggest scandal of modern football.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Look. It's one thing to say Italians complain a lot. But when you have the entire stadium filled with banners claiming you will fix the game and play 2-2 and you then end the game at 2-2, you cannot then have the audacity to say the Italians are seeing things that aren't there. It was a sad day for football.

Also remember that this was just two years after the biggest scandal of modern football.
Come on. Seriously how would the fans arrange this? Banners mean jack shit. Personally I don't think it was fixed until evidence is produced.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Come on. Seriously how would the fans arrange this? Banners mean jack shit. Personally I don't think it was fixed until evidence is produced.
Of course the fans didn't arrange it. But:

- 2-2 is hardly the most common result in football
- It's Denmark vs. Sweden
- There was a lot of focus on that particular result before the game.

I do not buy for one second that that game wasn't fixed. It's far far more likely that it was. I do however think that is irrelevant for Italy. They brought it upon themselves. It is only relevant insofar that I do not believe in the always praised Scandinavian sportsmanship.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002

I do not buy for one second that that game wasn't fixed. It's far far more likely that it was. I do however think that is irrelevant for Italy. They brought it upon themselves. It is only relevant insofar that I do not believe in the always praised Scandinavian sportsmanship.
It would be more suspicious if the result needed was something like 5-5. On your second point there is a lot of rivalry between Sweden & Denmark on mostly everything. Focus on the result does not mean anything. Italy raised it and became obsessed with it. Am suspecting this was to mask their shoddy performance.
Anyway I respect your views on that. Just hilarious that Italy suffers another similar episode. When will they learn? It would have been more respectable to just accept the defeat, correct the mistakes made & come out stronger. Now they sound like sore losers. A champion can get annoyed at oneself but should always respect the victor especially if they didn't bring their A game to the tournament.

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012

Some pretty bullet proof points right here. I, too, am now convinced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)