Standup Comedy (5 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Check out Mitch Hedburg if you haven't yet.
I also really like Hedburg, btw. RIP.

Well, considering I don't find most of the above stuff funny, I am not sure if my contribution will be satisfactory in the slightest, but here goes.

But I would recommend Bill Bailey (Part Troll is the best), Dara O'Briain (This Is The Show), Dylan Moran (Monster). And there is always Ricky Gervais, Fame was my favourite of his.
Gervais is funnier than Russel Brand, but that isn't saying much. Laughs at his own humor a little too hard for my tastes.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Kate

Feb 7, 2011

Gervais is funnier than Russel Brand, but that isn't saying much. Laughs at his own humor a little too hard for my tastes.
I hate Russel Brand with a fiery passion. Some of Gervais' later stuff gets tedious for that very reason, but I like Fame as it's not too heavy on that.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I hate Russel Brand with a fiery passion.
You and me both.

How about Louis C.K.? I like him.
I think he's mostly funny. Did you catch his TV show, Louie? I really liked it, though it was a bit of a head-case. Some very funny moments -- I particularly liked this scene (and particularly the end/banana+dentist scene):
http://tv.gawker.com/#!5621218/louis-ck-goes-to-the-dentist-and-finds-osama-bin-laden

But what probably throws a lot of people off is that his show has very good non-comedy moments as well. Some of them just scenes and moments, almost art-film-like.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Some of Billy Conolly's early stuff is great.

Jack Dee is pretty good, of you like deadpan delivery.

Well, considering I don't find most of the above stuff funny, I am not sure if my contribution will be satisfactory in the slightest, but here goes.

But I would recommend Bill Bailey (Part Troll is the best), Dara O'Briain (This Is The Show), Dylan Moran (Monster). And there is always Ricky Gervais, Fame was my favourite of his.
I like Gervais. The three part series of Fame, Animals and Politics were all good.

Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey are pretty good. You a fan of Black Books, by any chance?

Not so much a fan of Dara O'Brien. Tend to feel he trades off having an Irish accent to get his laughs a bit much.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
You and me both.

I think he's mostly funny. Did you catch his TV show, Louie? I really liked it, though it was a bit of a head-case. Some very funny moments -- I particularly liked this scene:
http://tv.gawker.com/#!5621218/louis-ck-goes-to-the-dentist-and-finds-osama-bin-laden

But what probably throws a lot of people off is that his show has very good non-comedy moments as well. Some of them just scenes and moments, almost art-film-like.
Haha, yes! Loved his show. And I agree, it's not just comedy.

Btw, I found the above guywhose name I didn't know. It's Tommy Tiernan.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Some of Billy Conolly's early stuff is great.

Jack Dee is pretty good, of you like deadpan delivery.

I like Gervais. The three part series of Fame, Animals and Politics were all good.

Dylan Moran is pretty good.

Not so much a fan of Dara O'Brien. Tend to feel he trades off having an Irish accent to get his laughs a bit much.
I could see that, yes. There were some very good moments in the show I named, otherwise I only know him from Have I Got News For You? and the like. Billy Connolly and Jack Dee too, definitely.

Apr 15, 2006

I can't recall him doing that frequently on stand up routines, but he does that on the Ricky Gervais Show a bit.

Kate, have you watched his Science act?

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Gervais is horrible. Very overrated and thinks too much of himself while being anything but a comedian. He strikes me as an idiot with spontaneous funny actions, now even those are made up and pitiful lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)