[SPA] La Liga 2014/2015 (37 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yes and no.

The results he's with the players at his disposal are phenomenal.

When you watch the games, though, you can't help but feel that he is simply making a mockery of modern football.

If teams went back to old-fashioned basics like having defenders who could be relied on to concentrate and using actual wingers to stretch a game out (instead these inward-looking wide players who just allow Atletico to crowd the middle of the pitch), I suspect Atletico would be shown to be what they are - a good, solid side, but nothing out of what should be ordinary.
All due respect, thats nothing but your projection to what might happen if a team plays with actual traditional wingers. Plus, don't Chelsea play with true wingers? didn't they play Hazard and Willian? they still couldn't do much against Atletico. Fact of the matter is, with the little resources that he has in comparison to Europe's big boys, the fact that he is challenging Barcelona and Real, and the fact he won the La Liga in an era of Barca - Real domination is nothing short of miraculous. I always ask those who doubt Simeone one question, when he first came to Atletico what is the best you thought he could do? I'm willing to bet my right arm that the biggest optimist wouldn't have thought a CL final and La Liga title would have been possible, especially when you take into account that he loses his best player(s) every season.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Sorry :D
Earlier I said that Bayern would disagree about Simeone being the best coach.
I'm a huge Pep fanboy, everyone here knows that :D

But, Simeone reached the final with Atletico and he won the league with them, all due respect to Pep that is a much bigger achievement than whatever Pep did with an already star studded Bayern team. I think its scandalous to give the best manager of 2014 award to anyone other than Simeone.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
All due respect, thats nothing but your projection to what might happen if a team plays with actual traditional wingers. Plus, don't Chelsea play with true wingers? didn't they play Hazard and Willian? they still couldn't do much against Atletico. Fact of the matter is, with the little resources that he has in comparison to Europe's big boys, the fact that he is challenging Barcelona and Real, and the fact he won the La Liga in an era of Barca - Real domination is nothing short of miraculous. I always ask those who doubt Simeone one question, when he first came to Atletico what is the best you thought he could do? I'm willing to bet my right arm that the biggest optimist wouldn't have thought a CL final and La Liga title would have been possible, especially when you take into account that he loses his best player(s) every season.
Germany also had the best team on paper, there wasn't one weakness in that team they were so strong from back to front. I agree Simeone deserved it by a big margin as well.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Germany also had the best team on paper, there wasn't one weakness in that team they were so strong from back to front. I agree Simeone deserved it by a big margin as well.
and the fact that he lost 3 of his best players, and is still in contention for all 3 titles is just amazing, I mean we're talking a league and Copa that has Real and Barca in it, the two most expensively assembled teams in the world right now. It really is miraculous what Simeone is doing, the fact that we even expect that it would be a contest whenever he plays Real or Barca is in itself a huge achievement.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Simeone. Hands down. Germany went into the WC as the favorite among many. Not so for Atletico to win the title or reach the CL final.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Simeone. Hands down. Germany went into the WC as the favorite among many. Not so for Atletico to win the title or reach the CL final.
yeah but, Leowe has gotton incredible results in all competitions since WC2006 (always semis). I know Ballon d'Or is supposed to be for achievements in one year, but Simeone will have many chances. Leowe deserved it overall.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't see Chelsea's wingers trying to beat a full-back on the outside in order to cross the ball very often.

I just don't see teams trying hard enough to get in behind Atletico in order to actually make them defend difficult situations instead of always having the play in comfortable areas in front of them.

It's not easy yo get in behind them, but that is what you need to try and do.

This is how I believe you trouble a team like Atletico:

It requires good movement a players with the ability to do things quickly.

I think these are skills which are far less prevailent than they used to be. Fewer teams have an interest in really playing wide or crossing, fewer teams and players move well in order to create space.

I blame the stupid, tippy-tappy Barca for these developments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)