[SPA] La Liga 2010/2011 (6 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The lack of good defenders is wrecking football.

I love to see great forwards being brilliant, but it only interests me if the defence makes them work to do it.
80s was lol, I seen some recorded games of my uncles (real football puritan), and wtf, most of top football were defensively organised and focused alot. Quite the trend. in Serie A, top scorers got 16 goals or such, hehe. Hard to do more, and their names were Platini's, Zico's and Maradona'.s

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
The lack of good defenders is wrecking football.

I love to see great forwards being brilliant, but it only interests me if the defence makes them work to do it.
I don't think there's a lack of good defenders. If anything, they're faster, stronger, and in better shape nowadays. It's the fact that the rules have changed to protect players and rightfully so. Now the game's more tactical and it's harder for one guy to change a big game as easily as back in the day. It's also easier to score against weaker teams, and that's where guys like Ronaldo and Messi get these inflated numbers of goals. Just my two cents.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
80s was lol, I seen some recorded games of my uncles (real football puritan), and wtf, most of top football were defensively organised and focused alot. Quite the trend. in Serie A, top scorers got 16 goals or such, hehe. Hard to do more, and their names were Platini's, Zico's and Maradona'.s
It should be hard to score.

I'd rather see a 0-0 with good defending than a 3-3 with terrible defending.

I don't think there's a lack of good defenders. If anything, they're faster, stronger, and in better shape nowadays.
And, in general, much, much stupider.

It's the fact that the rules have changed to protect players and rightfully so. Now the game's more tactical and it's harder for one guy to change a big game as easily as back in the day.
Rule changes have played a part, but I think the increased speed of the game is a bigger factor in it being hard to defend.

It's also easier to score against weaker teams, and that's where guys like Ronaldo and Messi get these inflated numbers of goals. Just my two cents.
The gap in quality between the top and bottom of a league is bigger now than at times in the past.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
It should be hard to score.

I'd rather see a 0-0 with good defending than a 3-3 with terrible defending.

And, in general, much, much stupider.

Rule changes have played a part, but I think the increased speed of the game is a bigger factor in it being hard to defend.

The gap in quality between the top and bottom of a league is bigger now than at times in the past.
I don't know if you agree with the last two points or no. But yeah, there's many factors.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That was hyperbole from Red.

He's confusing "a lack of good defenders" for more progressive football tactics which consist of taking the game to the opponent, which is football that he doesn't personally prefer.

Don't fall for the spin.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That was hyperbole from Red.

He's confusing "a lack of good defenders" for more progressive football tactics which consist of taking the game to the opponent, which is football that he doesn't personally prefer.

Don't fall for the spin.
I differentiate between the collective organisation of a defensive unit, which has undoubtedly suffered due to the current trend for more attacking play, and the ability of individual defenders.

I believe there are less good defenders and the good ones now are more based on physical ability, rather than intelligence and good technical defending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)