Sochi 2014 (2 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't follow ice-hockey but watched today, didn't like that rule allowing one guy to take all the shootouts at all.
I do watch hockey and know those players, but I really didn't know Oshie was quite so good at shots. I guess if a guy is in the zone like that you just keep going with him.

I agree in terms of the rule, because then it's boiling down to the skill of one player against a team, or potentially one other player, and you lose the team aspect at that point, it ended up 3v2 then 2v2.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I do watch hockey and know those players, but I really didn't know Oshie was quite so good at shots. I guess if a guy is in the zone like that you just keep going with him.
Yes and no. You go with the same forward against the same goalie for several shots, my guess is that the odds are in favor of the goalie because he can react more to what he's seen from the penalty taker. Maybe I just have my head up my ass on this one, but there's going with the hot hand but there's also lacking enough variety to allow the goalie to settle in and start dominating. So I'm not so sure playing the same shootout taker every time sounds like such a good strategy.

Even Oshie said he was running out of new moves as the shootout went on.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Yes and no. You go with the same forward against the same goalie for several shots, my guess is that the odds are in favor of the goalie because he can react more to what he's seen from the penalty taker. Maybe I just have my head up my ass on this one, but there's going with the hot hand but there's also lacking enough variety to allow the goalie to settle in and start dominating. So I'm not so sure playing the same shootout taker every time sounds like such a good strategy.

Even Oshie said he was running out of new moves as the shootout went on.
It doesn't favor the shooter in the long run. Which is why Russia was repeating 2 guys instead of just 1.

Usually, shootouts do not make it out of the first round. So that's not a regular issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)