So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (4 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #421
    About the subject of players playing for countries of their birth or heritage, I am flexible with that as if you are born in Italy or born somewhere else but your ancestry is Italian, if you pick Italy then thats fine.

What I am not in agreement with is someone like Amauri and even Camoranesi deciding because it is easier to get into the Italian team than Argentina or Brazil then I pick Italy.
    But you're contradicting yourself here. You say you have no problem with players playing for a nation due to [ambiguous] ancestry reasoning, however you're not okay with Camoranesi playing for Italy because he apparently thought it was easier to get in with Trapattoni.

You see, we can't have it both ways. We don't know for sure whether or not Camoranesi was in Pekerman's plans, so we cannot speculate on that matter.

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    But you're contradicting yourself here. You say you have no problem with players playing for a nation due to [ambiguous] ancestry reasoning, however you're not okay with Camoranesi playing for Italy because he apparently thought it was easier to get in with Trapattoni.

You see, we can't have it both ways. We don't know for sure whether or not Camoranesi was in Pekerman's plans, so we cannot speculate on that matter.
    How Italian is Camoranesi? There is no contradiction in my post. If you were born in Italy by Ghanian players or if you were born in Ghana with Italian heritage, I got no problem with you playing for Italy.

I do however have a problem with a player coming to Italy at 22 or so and because he has played x amount of years or married an Italian then feels he deserves to play for Italy.

For the record Camoranesi was not anywhere near the Argentina squad pre 2002 world cup

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #423
    How Italian is Camoranesi? There is no contradiction in my post. If you were born in Italy by Ghanian players or if you were born in Ghana with Italian heritage, I got no problem with you playing for Italy.

I do however have a problem with a player coming to Italy at 22 or so and because he has played x amount of years or married an Italian then feels he deserves to play for Italy.

For the record Camoranesi was not anywhere near the Argentina squad pre 2002 world cup
    "...born somewhere else but your ancestry is Italian, if you pick Italy then thats fine."

I don't know how "Italian" Camoranesi happens to be, but he does have Italian grandparents apparently.

If you allow players to play for another nation based on heritage reasons, where exactly is the cut off point here?

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    About the subject of players playing for countries of their birth or heritage, I am flexible with that as if you are born in Italy or born somewhere else but your ancestry is Italian, if you pick Italy then thats fine.

What I am not in agreement with is someone like Amauri and even Camoranesi deciding because it is easier to get into the Italian team than Argentina or Brazil then I pick Italy.

It does not matter if I am not Italian, do not feel Italian or have the country of my birth in my blood, just as long as I want to be an international then Italy should be the choice.

Frankly I am fed up of Brazilians not good enough to play for their country then deciding that they can play for another country, sooner or later every natioanl team would have a Brazilian and that is not right.

As for the Azzurri, I totally agree that if Milan's midfield is used, then they are likely to go out in the 1st phase as Gatusso, Pirlo and Ambrosini have been awful with only Ambrosini being even half decent for a long time.

Personally I would take Montilivio as a back up to Pirlo if his form does not improve and I cannot believe that Del Piero might not go as only a complete dope won't take him. Cassano, controversial or not should go as well as Italy are not that blessed in the attacking 3rd.

Toni and Di Natale are a must, Dp, Quagriella, Cassano and Boriello should be the others in attack.

Italy need to find a right back from somewhere as Panucci is not the answer. I dont know what has happened to Potenza at Fiorentina but he looked good while teammate Gamberini deserves to go with Materazzi looking very iffy at the back

I gotta agree with Andy, that is a total contradiction

Camo has Italian ancestry, just like myself and many others here, so he should be able to play for gli Azzurri

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002
    Del Piero and Cassano should BOTH go. Cassano would have to be content with a place on the bench and Del Piero should probably even start.

Del Piero
    Cassano
    Di Natale
    Toni
    Iaquinta

Those would be the strikers I'd select. Quagliarella offers creativity and is often picked because of that, but Del Piero and Cassano both offer more in that department so no need for him. With Di Natale and Iaquinta Donadoni could play his precious 4-3-3 and Iaquinta could be a backup for Toni.

The pressure on Donadoni to select Del Piero is nothing less than immense, so I doubt he'll leave him at home. If he does, I will personally hunt Donadoni down and give him the beating of a lifetime.
    Cassano is too much of a head case....you never know what kind of stunt he will pull

until he's put on some strong meds, he should be looked over

besides, I dont think many players want him on the team

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Cassano is too much of a head case....you never know what kind of stunt he will pull

until he's put on some strong meds, he should be looked over

besides, I dont think many players want him on the team
    That is obviously the biggest reason why one wouldn't pick Cassano. You could leave Cassano at home and go with Quagliarella instead, but I believe Cassano just might be having a 'good' period until the end of the Euros.

Not to mention the fact how surprised opponents could be if Italy dares to play with both Del Piero and Cassano.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I did not realise Camoranesi has Italian grand parents so in that case I do not have a problem with him playing for Italy or Argentina but Amauri does not seem to have Italian heritage and should not be allowed.

That my cut off point, you cannot say because you play in a particular country fo x amount of years then when a big tournament comes along and you're in form then you should be considered.

As for Cassano he might be a headcase but he is not a big enough star to cause problems for Italy. If he acts up he could be ignored but he has more talent to be of use in the Euros compared to what Donadoni is going to take.

Problems or not Id rather take him than Iaquinta in a 4 week tournament that needs is more of a sprint than marathon as quality would always shine through.

Iaquinta was not shown up to be a bad choice for Italy in 06 cos there were others with enough quality to ignore his contributions but this time around there are not that many

May 12, 2007
    -----------------------------Buffon

Zambro/Pannuci---Cannavaro---Chiellini---Grosso

--------------Cammo------Pirlo------De Rossi

-------------Del piero-----------------Cassano

-----------------------------Toni

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007

--------------Cammo------Pirlo------De Rossi

-------------Del piero-----------------Cassano

--------------Gattuso------Pirlo------De Rossi

-------------Cammo-----------------Del Piero

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #435
    Altidore Ponders Azzurri Call
    US Soccer
    5/11/2008

Red Bull New York striker Josmer Altidore may decide to play for the Italian National team, according to reports from Italy. Azzurri manager Roberto Donadoni is hot on the young talent's trail.

The 18 year-old American forward has scored 16 goals in 30 appearances for Red Bull, and is already attracting attention from overseas, but not just within club football.

Donadoni sees Altidore as another Camoranesi type player, one who will blossom in Italy and under the Italian National team's reigns. Considering US coach Bob Bradley is reluctant to call up the young star, a move to the Azzurri could be on the cards.

"We like Jozy," Donadoni declared. "If he wants to play for the Azzurri, we will always have open arms for him. He's a good talent with a great future, and there is no bigger side than my Italy."

The American striker could become an Italian citizen in no less than a month should the player make his expected decision to play for the Azzurri. Being a huge admirer of marinara sauce at some of New York City's finest restaurants, the player seems to be ready for the move.

"I would consider myself to have marinara sauce running through my veins," the striker joked. "Italy seems like a perfect place for me to spend my career, and I think Donadoni is a good manager for years to come."

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    Altidore is a Spanish last name unless his origins are in Napoli or something (which they're obviously not), so I don't see how they can give him citizenship. Did he live in Italy or something?

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #437
    Altidore is a Spanish last name unless his origins are in Napoli or something (which they're obviously not), so I don't see how they can give him citizenship. Did he live in Italy or something?
    Not sure...

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #438
    Man, this is going to be one hell of a strike force in a few years:

Buffon

Oddo - Barzagli - Chiellini - De Ceglie

Gattuso - Pirlo - Marchisio

Balotelli - Amauri - Altidore

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    The Italian national team are a bunch of thieves. The federation itself is rotten on the inside. Fuck Italy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)