So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (5 Viewers)

Paolo Rossi

World Champion
Jul 8, 2007
I just read the first page of this topic and someone said that Balotelli shouldnt play for Italy cause he doesnt have Italian blood. Thats absurd. the kid was born in Italy and grew up in Italy. The guy is Italian. Also what makes you Italian is your heart. I was born in Toronto, but I moved to Italy when I was just 3 and grew up in Italy. Cameback to Torotno when I turned 15, but Im Italian first and Canadian second. If I was a pro soccer player and I had choice I would choose Italy in a second cause I am Italian. Maybe Amauri situation is the same (I dont really know I'm just speculating), but only he knows, its only up to him.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I just read the first page of this topic and someone said that Balotelli shouldnt play for Italy cause he doesnt have Italian blood. Thats absurd. the kid was born in Italy and grew up in Italy. The guy is Italian. Also what makes you Italian is your heart. I was born in Toronto, but I moved to Italy when I was just 3 and grew up in Italy. Cameback to Torotno when I turned 15, but Im Italian first and Canadian second. If I was a pro soccer player and I had choice I would choose Italy in a second cause I am Italian. Maybe Amauri situation is the same (I dont really know I'm just speculating), but only he knows, its only up to him.
I agree with the Balotelli argument but Amauri was born and raised in Brazil. He is been in italy for less than 5 years now and he is only considering the Azzurri because he has been shunned by Brazil. If he originally chose to wait for the Selecao then obviously does not feel very Italian.

Paolo Rossi

World Champion
Jul 8, 2007
I agree with the Balotelli argument but Amauri was born and raised in Brazil. He is been in italy for less than 5 years now and he is only considering the Azzurri because he has been shunned by Brazil. If he originally chose to wait for the Selecao then obviously does not feel very Italian.
If thats the real reason, then I agree with you. La Nazionale shouldnt be anyone's second choice.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
so, what if it was ice hockey at the olympics ??:p

Mafia

Pinturicchio
Jul 21, 2006
If thats the real reason, then I agree with you. La Nazionale shouldnt be anyone's second choice.
For sure it shouldnt, if ur heart isnt fully behind the nation u r going to play for, i think u should let someone else who has dreamed of representing their country for ages get to play, but i suppose its more complicated than that in reality. Respect to Camo for one hell of a choice tho, :) Italy > Argentina

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #408
    STOP using this retarded "Amauri is a Brazilian reject" argument. It's friggin idiotic and retarded because CAMORANESI IS THEREFORE AN ARGENTINIAN REJECT!

STOP with the Azzurri arrogance already.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    About the subject of players playing for countries of their birth or heritage, I am flexible with that as if you are born in Italy or born somewhere else but your ancestry is Italian, if you pick Italy then thats fine.

What I am not in agreement with is someone like Amauri and even Camoranesi deciding because it is easier to get into the Italian team than Argentina or Brazil then I pick Italy.

It does not matter if I am not Italian, do not feel Italian or have the country of my birth in my blood, just as long as I want to be an international then Italy should be the choice.

Frankly I am fed up of Brazilians not good enough to play for their country then deciding that they can play for another country, sooner or later every natioanl team would have a Brazilian and that is not right.

As for the Azzurri, I totally agree that if Milan's midfield is used, then they are likely to go out in the 1st phase as Gatusso, Pirlo and Ambrosini have been awful with only Ambrosini being even half decent for a long time.

Personally I would take Montilivio as a back up to Pirlo if his form does not improve and I cannot believe that Del Piero might not go as only a complete dope won't take him. Cassano, controversial or not should go as well as Italy are not that blessed in the attacking 3rd.

Toni and Di Natale are a must, Dp, Quagriella, Cassano and Boriello should be the others in attack.

Italy need to find a right back from somewhere as Panucci is not the answer. I dont know what has happened to Potenza at Fiorentina but he looked good while teammate Gamberini deserves to go with Materazzi looking very iffy at the back

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Gattuso and Pirlo should be picked,and they should be the starters IMO.Yes De Rossi has been in excellent form,and the former two have been poor,but they are great players.Donadoni should start with the Milan midfield in atleast the first game.There's a diffrence between your club form and your NT form.Gattuso and Pirlo can step up a level for the Italian NT.De Rossi should come in for Ambrosini,who shouldnt even be in the squad as far as im concerned.

Del Piero and Cassano both look unlikely.Cassano's chances are next to over,and Del Piero might not make it because of the apparent grudge Donadoni holds against him.I have a sick feeling that Palladino will make the squad at the expense of both these players.Iaquinta will make the squad most probably too.So in place of Del Piero and Cassano,Donadoni will probably go with Iaquinta and Palladino.That'll make Juve fans happy,but that'll be a poor move from an Italian perspective.Iaquinta deserves a place in the squad,but Palladino doesnt.But when it comes down to sheer potential,Del Piero and Cassano should be automatic choices over both of them,but that doesnt look like happening.

Id argue in favour of Panucci here.Like ive said,club form and NT form are two seperate things.Panucci has done with the national squad.A prick he may be,but the lack of options on the right flank would ensure that Panucci makes the squad..if not as a starter then most definatley as a backup.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Del Piero and Cassano should BOTH go. Cassano would have to be content with a place on the bench and Del Piero should probably even start.

Del Piero
    Cassano
    Di Natale
    Toni
    Iaquinta

Those would be the strikers I'd select. Quagliarella offers creativity and is often picked because of that, but Del Piero and Cassano both offer more in that department so no need for him. With Di Natale and Iaquinta Donadoni could play his precious 4-3-3 and Iaquinta could be a backup for Toni.

The pressure on Donadoni to select Del Piero is nothing less than immense, so I doubt he'll leave him at home. If he does, I will personally hunt Donadoni down and give him the beating of a lifetime.

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    isnt his 4-3-3 played like this?

---toni

-----------di natale
    --------------------------------quag?

obviously toni in the center in front of the goal.

couldnt he put del piero in for di natale and camo in for quag?

it would work great.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Del Piero and Cassano should BOTH go. Cassano would have to be content with a place on the bench and Del Piero should probably even start.

Del Piero
    Cassano
    Di Natale
    Toni
    Iaquinta

Those would be the strikers I'd select. Quagliarella offers creativity and is often picked because of that, but Del Piero and Cassano both offer more in that department so no need for him. With Di Natale and Iaquinta Donadoni could play his precious 4-3-3 and Iaquinta could be a backup for Toni.

The pressure on Donadoni to select Del Piero is nothing less than immense, so I doubt he'll leave him at home. If he does, I will personally hunt Donadoni down and give him the beating of a lifetime.
    :agree: that forward line has speed and creativity, looks perfect

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    And it provides a coach with so many options as well. I'd go for a simple Del Piero-Toni or Cassano-Toni frontline. If things would go wrong you could always add Di Natale or Iaquinta. The other option would be swapping Del Piero for Cassano or vice versa.

Add to that that Del Piero could even be a trequartista in a very offensive line up and you've finally got a squad that can compete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)