So we still need a right back (4 Viewers)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You mean the six points, and easy group? :D

I'll tell you what, every season we get an easy group and its always the same scenario. We win our first 3 games. Then in the last 3 games, Arsene starts fielding some of the youngsters to get them exposed and all. We end up in second place.
Still, you start with an advantage. :)

You're first placed and you can't lose the first place in the group you're in. Looking at how the others started, you can't get Barcelona or Real in the 2nd round because they'll win their groups too, and you can't get any of Manchester, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Juve on the other hand might easily end up second, in a much tougher group than Arsenal's, and then risk getting Barca, Real, Chelsea and Manchester United.

And another advantage you have, and has nothing to do with luck in the draw, is the experience of your players, as strange as it sounds. Even though very young, your team has the required CL experience and you guys fit well in the CL.
Juve has many players who are very important and yet they never played a CL final or a CL semifinal. Also, Juve, just like most of the Italian teams, needs to adapt to the football that brings success in Europe, but for some reasons we can't. Only Milan managed to do that in the last years.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
What are you talkin about the CL? How many 2006 CL final players are actually playing for Arsenal these days?

CL final XI for Arsenal in 2006
* 1 Jens Lehmann
* 3 Ashley Cole
* 7 Robert Pirès
* 8 Fredrik Ljungberg
* 13 Aleksandr Hleb
* 14 Thierry Henry
* 15 Cesc Fàbregas
* 19 Gilberto
* 23 Sol Campbell
* 27 Emmanuel Eboué
* 28 Kolo Touré

We have more players who have played in CL final. Add to that players who have played in WC final.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
What are you talkin about the CL? How many 2006 CL final players are actually playing for Arsenal these days?

CL final XI for Arsenal in 2006
* 1 Jens Lehmann
* 3 Ashley Cole
* 7 Robert Pirès
* 8 Fredrik Ljungberg
* 13 Aleksandr Hleb
* 14 Thierry Henry
* 15 Cesc Fàbregas
* 19 Gilberto
* 23 Sol Campbell
* 27 Emmanuel Eboué
* 28 Kolo Touré

We have more players who have played in CL final. Add to that players who have played in WC final.
I think he means the semifinal from last year.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Still, Van Persie, Eboue, Fabregas, Almunia and Clichy were there and most of the guys in Arsenal were there in the last seasons and Arsenal played the final in 2006, quarters in 2008, semis in 2009. The team and the coach proved that they have what it takes to do well in the CL.
Juve, after 2003, never looked good in CL, or didn't even play in CL.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Thats really bad comparison Alen. One is a team what has brought in new talents and has had time to develope, other a team who was going through calciopoli.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What did Arsenal have to offer besides the CL final during the last six years? After they went unbeaten for 40-some games that one season, they haven't done anything. Now all they do is fart around getting help from luck and the referee during CL matches, playing against easy teams. They may play great football, but seriously, apart from that and their youth development they are truly overrated.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I somewhat agree with you here Andy. If i would be Arsenal fan id be really pissed how things have been going in EPL. The reason why Arsenal has "done well" in CL is partly because they come 3-4 in EPL and are out of title race. It hurts me to say this, since Manu is :yuck:, but Manu has totally outclassed Arses, ever since that Arsenal CL final.

And Pool also have done better in CL.

Arsenal is a half full/half empty glass.

And please dont bring youth in to this. Its not like the Henrys/Vieras, Ljungbers (aka the experienced players, what Arsenal supposedly lack compared to ManU or Pool or smth like that) said that they want out. It clearly looks partly Wengers politics to keep the team young.

And now probably Fred :D will come and say how dare i compare Arsenal to Manu since the funds are different and etc. But thats how things are going in football.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Arsenals style of football is Designed to win cup competitions as with all the English top four, Juve would dominate the EPL purely because we 50% defend and 50% attack not 80/20 like the brits.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
What did Arsenal have to offer besides the CL final during the last six years? After they went unbeaten for 40-some games that one season, they haven't done anything. Now all they do is fart around getting help from luck and the referee during CL matches, playing against easy teams. They may play great football, but seriously, apart from that and their youth development they are truly overrated.
Totally agree with you :tup:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Thats really bad comparison Alen. One is a team what has brought in new talents and has had time to develope, other a team who was going through calciopoli.
Well.....exactly.

I'm not saying that Arsenal are a better team than Juve. All I was saying to Fred was that he has the advantage if he takes a bet that Arsenal will do better than Juve this year in CL and Arsenal's experience in CL's later stages is part of the advantage. Juve's problems in the last years is also part of his advantage, just like the easy group Arsenal are in is part of the advantage.

Jul 15, 2006
They're just a bunch of Frenchie divers, including Eduardo.
I don't think so actually, UEFA were just purely using Eduardo as a scapegoat for their new diving theories or whatever, he's genuinely an honest player. However, when it comes to Eboué and Van Persie that's a different question.

Arsenals style of football is Designed to win cup competitions as with all the English top four, Juve would dominate the EPL purely because we 50% defend and 50% attack not 80/20 like the brits.
The land of butchers and divers? I have my reservations.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Tell me, how are you one of the richest clubs when your one of the clubs that are in debt clubs in the Premiership?.
Real Madrid have the biggest debt in Spain. Does that mean they aren't the richest?

We are going as planned in paying the installments for the stadium debt. In terms of profit generation, we are in the top 5 in Europe.

Well.....exactly.

I'm not saying that Arsenal are a better team than Juve. All I was saying to Fred was that he has the advantage if he takes a bet that Arsenal will do better than Juve this year in CL and Arsenal's experience in CL's later stages is part of the advantage. Juve's problems in the last years is also part of his advantage, just like the easy group Arsenal are in is part of the advantage.
Well thats all true, cannot argue against any of that. I am willing to make a different bet though, if Arsenal and Juve cross paths i am willing to bet on who makes it.

I don't think we have much of a chance for the league, as the league requires squad depth and continuity. We lack those two aspects, so we'll probably lose out in the league. But i think we have a team that is capable of competing in the CL.

I also think we are having a better season than Juve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)