yeap, I'm talking about Iuliano...

Iuliano: Criticism unfounded
Monday, 12 July 2004

Players:

Mark Iuliano
Teams:

Juventus

by Nadia Carminati
Juventus' Mark Iuliano has insisted that the club's defence received unfair criticism after a disappointing last campaign.
The experienced defender believes that Juve are still one of the most difficult teams to break down, despite suggestions that the defence had become leaky last season.

"I hear talk that our defence conceded too many goals," said Iuliano.

"What I don't hear is people admitting we have been the best defence for a few years.

"The criticism has been excessive and this season, we will be back to our best.

"My contract expires next June, and I have not asked or claimed a new deal.

"But my relationship with the club is a good one and I know the officials are talking to other people, so there is no hurry.

From my point of view, there aren't any problems with staying, although I know the club have to agree with me.

"For me, Juve are the best."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Your washed up...................

Get outta Turin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless you want to play for Torino !!)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
dunno why, but iuliano looks like a gay to me :).
So what exactly does a homosexual person look like ??

And whats funny if he is?? (though he isnt)

And even if if he was.. so what??

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
As to Luliano... I for one would be very sorry to see him go.

Ok he aint the best defender in the world... But hes solid... he plays with juve in his heart... hes happy to keep the bench and with all his years here he has shown a very rare quality these days... loyalty.. which he has by the bucket load.. He has had many oportunities to go and play as a starter for other clubs,, including clubs of an equal level... but no he is loyal and stays here whether he plays or not and when he does he wears our shirt with pride.

So yes.. i would be dissapointed if he left.

It allways surprises me the ill feeling towards luliano on this (and a certain other forum) yet in the delle alpi he is well loved and respected... Go sit in scirea and you wont find many ill words about luliano

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I think it's the lapses in concentration that make people turn on him. Otherwise he's a good player but I always get uneasy when we rely on him because of that.

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Paul, I am very happy to hear that about Iuliano. I know he is not world class, and if he was sold on it would not have a big effect on the team, but I can't help liking the guy. He has been a loyal servant for nearly 300 appearances, and that is something in today's football.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
I think it's the lapses in concentration that make people turn on him. Otherwise he's a good player but I always get uneasy when we rely on him because of that.
Yes, but the fact is every defender in the world does it.. and he doesnt do it any more than most... the difference being ... partners

When the likes of maldini do it you hardly even notice as he has nesta to make it go unnoticed... But here luliano allways gets the blame... whatever his partner does

I understand some not liking his particular style... but then if you dont like that particular brand of defensive attitude i dont understand why you watch serie a... as his way of playing is that of the typical italian defender throughout the ages.

Personally i also think theres a massive difference between watching on tv and actually seeing the game where you can see what the players are actually doing rather than jus those in your little screen.

As is shown to me by many players i see scorned upon here... who are highly respected for there play on our curva by the people that are at every single match. and by myself

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah it is very different cause in the stadium you can choose to watch a certain player non stop but on tv you just see what's in the picture. Big difference imo.

River

Jun 15, 2004
Whats the big difference? On TV you can see better if anything. And like whats it matter if he is good off the ball etc, a bonus yeah, but if he cant cut it he cant cut it.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Yeah it is very different cause in the stadium you can choose to watch a certain player non stop but on tv you just see what's in the picture. Big difference imo.
Its not jus watching any one player.. I doubt many do that... But you see a far larger part of the action as you follow the play
You jus see so much more.

Virtually everygame ive been to since ive been a member here... at least a couple of players that we (and i mean jus about everyone around you and as your walking out when your chattin with whoevers next to you... so not jus a couple of people) in the stadium have felt played very well have been slagged off like mad here... Its jus so so different

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
Whats the big difference? On TV you can see better if anything.

Im sorry but that is absolute rubbish... to say you can see better on the tv is jus ridiculous... you dont see half as much
I have to ask... have you ever been to a football match??

And like whats it matter if he is good off the ball etc, a bonus yeah, but if he cant cut it he cant cut it.
That was a joke ... right??

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Im sorry but that is absolute rubbish... to say you can see better on the tv is jus ridiculous... you dont see half as much
I have to ask... have you ever been to a football match??
Whats so rubbish about it? Your sitting in the Delle Alpi? Like behind an olympic size running track. You can see more? Whats the point? I can see plenty on TV, when I ever go to a football match (and im a hell of alot closer than you probably are in Turin I never see anything more (except the point I had made about of the ball incidents). And yes I have been at a football match.

That was a joke ... right??
Why is it a joke? Because you dont agree?
And its quite simple to understand. If a defender has great movement etc, but cant handle simple headers or tackles then he isnt a good defender. I thought you would understand that.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Whats so rubbish about it? Your sitting in the Delle Alpi? Like behind an olympic size running track. You can see more? Whats the point? I can see plenty on TV, when I ever go to a football match (and im a hell of alot closer than you probably are in Turin I never see anything more (except the point I had made about of the ball incidents). And yes I have been at a football match.
Im sorry thats jus crap... obviously you dont see the players feet the same.. but you see the game a whole lot better.. you see exactly whats going on. not jus the player on the ball or those within 10 feet of him
As for the delle alpi being even further away... that doesnt hamper your view of the match if anything you can see even more... It jus means a slightly lesser atmosphere and that general feeling of being up close that is enjoyed at many other stadiums.

The fact is.. as with the olympico, the delle alpi is one of the best stadiums on earth to watch football (as long as you sit 2nd level) ... but they are both poor for atmosphere and feeling

Why is it a joke? Because you dont agree?
And its quite simple to understand. If a defender has great movement etc, but cant handle simple headers or tackles then he isnt a good defender. I thought you would understand that.
Oh please... so it doesnt matter if a defender has good movement... if he doesnt have good movement and positioning he would never get those headers or tackles in cause he would either be out of place or his man would have slipped him with ease... positioning is one of if not the most important part of being a good defender... go ask any manager he will say the same.

Where did i say it didnt matter if he could head or tackle... of course it matters... you need both.... fact is a good tackler with good movement is twice the defender that is the best tackler on earth but has poor movement and positioning

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Im sorry thats jus crap... obviously you dont see the players feet the same.. but you see the game a whole lot better.. you see exactly whats going on. not jus the player on the ball or those within 10 feet of him
As for the delle alpi being even further away... that doesnt hamper your view of the match if anything you can see even more... It jus means a slightly lesser atmosphere and that general feeling of being up close that is enjoyed at many other stadiums.
No it isnt crap. Yeah you can get a better overview of the game, you see player movements, you can see whats happening everywhere as you want to. But to tell me that because you have watched the game at the stadium you can us (who watched on TV) if a defender is good or not is the biggest pile of shit ive ever heard since I can here, and Ive heard some shit. When I watch TV I can see how good this player is.

Oh please... so it doesnt matter if a defender has good movement... if he doesnt have good movement and positioning he would never get those headers or tackles in cause he would either be out of place or his man would have slipped him with ease... positioning is one of if not the most important part of being a good defender... go ask any manager he will say the same.

Where did i say it didnt matter if he could head or tackle... of course it matters... you need both.... fact is a good tackler with good movement is twice the defender that is the best tackler on earth but has poor movement and positioning
Ok first of all im saying that in perspective of the conversation. The conversation you are making is about seeing more, more than what isnt on TV cant only be off the ball, of course its important, and the second point you made I and everyone in the world will agree, if you are responding please respond in perspective. But on TV we can see if he has made the tackle etc and therefore we can judge as effectively as you can whether or not this player is good enough. Get it?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The point is that you get a different angle in the stadium. I know that if I see the same game twice, once in the stands and then on tv it's a very different impression. With the closeups and replays I get the impression the chances are much bigger than they look from the stands, it's much closer on tv.

River

Jun 15, 2004
The point is that you get a different angle in the stadium. I know that if I see the same game twice, once in the stands and then on tv it's a very different impression. With the closeups and replays I get the impression the chances are much bigger than they look from the stands, it's much closer on tv.
Yes you get an improved view of the game. But certainly not so much better that you can tell if I player is good or bad to such a degree. Maybe you will have the slightest advantage. But to say everyone in the stadium thinks this because we see better, and everyone else thinks that because they dont see as well is rediculous.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I completely agree with Paul here about watching the game live, and to some extent about Mark.

IMO watching the game live, from the stadium, is much better than watching the game on TV. You have an overview of the whole pitch so it's easier to see player movements and various tactics and formations, and notice how they change during the game, while on TV you only see parts of the pitch at a time. For example, if on TV you see Zambrotta makeing a run on the left flank, in the stadium you can see what Del Piero or Nedved is doing, how they are moving, if they're trying to free up space to get the ball, etc. And IMO it's not just a bonus, good movement and anticipation can be a very important aspect in a player.

As for Iuliano, I agree he's been loyal to Juve for many years, and I personally would love to see him become a coach for us, as well as Ferrara, Pessotto and Conte. But, he's been playing pretty bad IMO. He's movement is bad, he doesnt have any real pace, he often loses his player and never manages to get the offside trap right. Every time I've seen him last season he's been responsible for at least on goal in every match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)