Show us your desktops! (18 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Speaking of expose, there is the Mac dashboard equivelant, Jackfield, which could prove useful. However it's still not stable yet. I have Beryl now, I really don't wanna fuck up my system with too much bleed. Tell me how it goes if you try it out!
Haven't we already decided desktop applets are pointless because you put windows over them anyway? Stick em on yer panel and be happy :)

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Haven't we already decided desktop applets are pointless because you put windows over them anyway? Stick em on yer panel and be happy :)
Well if its like the Mac dashboard, then they shouldn't be on the Desktop. But rather when you hover to the top left you get the applets popping out. No Windows over anything :p

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
See...don't judge a book from it's cover ;)

But ya I am amazed at how stable it is despite it's still Beta!
Lol I did not judge by the cover. You gotta understand that the whole composite extension to X was a pretty long affair, back when they first got it working there was no compiz or beryl, they just had translucent windows. Then I think they came up with the cube effects later on. That's when I last tried it. I even used it for a while, but the transparency slowed down my desktop and made Xorg unstable so I got rid of it.

compiz/beryl as it is today is a whole new chapter. Back then people were talking about xgl, the X server technology, now we're talking about composite managers that have tons of nifty stuff themselves, it's a different landscape.

In fact, if you just enable "desktop effects" on ubuntu/fedora it's a pretty daft story, wobbly windows and not much else. It's the beryl settings application that opens this new world to users. And that's a new thing.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well if its like the Mac dashboard, then they shouldn't be on the Desktop. But rather when you hover to the top left you get the applets popping out. No Windows over anything :p
Oh right. Still useless. You have leave your "standard mode" to look at the applets, stupid. If it's important info you wanna have it there all the time.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
@Sadomin: Ya I was fooled alright, but I didn't have any reason to suspect otherwise, I just looked at the top left and saw the Ubuntu logo and assumed it as is. Didn't really scrutinize ;)

I know, just kidding. I managed to change the font and all the mouse looks now. Very ubuntuesque, but I will still need to make some changes in order to fool you. ;)

Martin, I love the aesthetics of Ubuntu but need XP for some software I am using. This seemed a decent compromise. :)

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Oh right. Still useless. You have leave your "standard mode" to look at the applets, stupid. If it's important info you wanna have it there all the time.
Perhaps, never used it, would like to take it out for a test drive someday. I'll just wait till it becomes stable.

I know, just kidding. I managed to change the font and all the mouse looks now. Very ubuntuesque, but I will still need to make some changes in order to fool you. ;)

Martin, I love the aesthetics of Ubuntu but need XP for some software I am using. This seemed a decent compromise. :)
You should write a HOWTO man!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yea, simple and elegant :)

The only thing I would like is the desktop to start becoming smart. I rotate my wallpapers and I use transparent panels, when the wallpaper is dark, I can't see the clock, date and the names of the open windows. The smartness comes by recognizing the colours of the wallpaper and changing the font colours accordingly :pumpkin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)