Show me yours and I'll show you mine (1 Viewer)

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
If I showed you photos of my hometown, you'd be so not impressed! :D

Darin, those are lovely!!!!
thanx :)

u jus post some pics am sure we will like them :)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well, I live in Holland as you all know by now I think. Here are some facts:

Name: The Netherlands (Nederland)
Languages: Netherlandic
Population number: 16.060.542
Area: 41.526 km² (Water: 7.643 km² Land: 33.883 km²)
Area comparative: Slightly less than twice the size of New Jersey.
Population density: 474 people per km²

The entire Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of The Netherlands (the twelve provinces of the homeland) and the colonies (all of them islands in the Caribbean) Saba , Saint Eustatius , Saint Martin , Curaçao , Bonaire and Aruba .

Capital city: Amsterdam
Population number: 1.130.368

Seat of government: The Hague (Den Haag)
Population number: 794.252

I live in The Hague, the third largest city of the country after Amsterdam and Rotterdam respectively. The Hague is situated in the province of South-Holland (the two provinces South and North-Holland make up the area of Holland which our country is so often nicknamed after. This area is the economically most important and holds cities such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Delft and Leiden).

If you ever decide to come to The Hague, you must visit these places:

Houses of Parliament
These are the houses of parliament (Binnenhof in Netherlandic). They're certainly worth a visit and you can get a tour through the buildings or visit a meeting of parliament (I don't recommend the latter though).

Spui
Spui is the name of an area in the centre where most of the shops are. The area is made up of several streets and squares.

Buitenhof
This is a square near the houses of parliament. Squares with terraces where you can have lunch or just a drink can be found throughout the entire city. On the left corner of the picture, you can see red umbrella's. They belong to lunchroom 'Vienna' where I often have lunch. They serve the best sandwiches in town and I recommend it! :thumb:

Bierkade
The Hague is an ancient Dutch city and has similar architecture to Amsterdam. The Bierkade is one of the best preserved historical streets with a canal.

Royal Palace Noordeinde
Here's the Royal Palace in the centre of the city and residence of Queen Beatrix. You can take a tour if you want.

Palace of peace
Situated near the Hague International Court of Justice. Worth a visit.

Scheveningen
Den Haag borders the North-Sea and the area directly by the beach is called Scheveningen. If you come here in the summer, chances are you'll find me playing volleyball near the terraces you can see on this picture:

Kurhaus
If you want to stay at an expensive hotel on the beaches of Scheveningen, you pick the Kurhaus.

MY STREET!
Here's the street (or rather, lane) I live in. Not the most beautiful one but it's well situated (close to the centre) and there's a tram stop right by my place! You can't really see my appartment on these pictures though, but it gives the impression.

Football club ADO DEN HAAG
The official football club is ADO Den Haag who will be promoted to the highest division this summer and who were the 4th club in Holland in the 1980's and early 1990's. They also came close to winning a two European titles in that period, but they got eliminated in the quarter finals. They are the Sampdoria of Holland, if you will.

Their website is at www.adodenhaag.nl

Flag of the city
In Holland, most cities used to be counties or duchies. Den Haag used to be a grand duchy and the flag from that period still remains. The colours of the flag are now the official colours of ADO Den Haag. Here's a picture of the flag:

-----------------------

OP
Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #44
    KEWL! Another active forum member!

Nice work Erik! :thumb:

Did you ever think about this... Denmark is bigger than Holland, but your population number is 3 times higher than ours... :eek:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
    KEWL! Another active forum member!

Nice work Erik! :thumb:
    Thanks :) So what do you think of my city? My 'hood' ain't very impressive, is it? :D

Did you ever think about this... Denmark is bigger than Holland, but your population number is 3 times higher than ours... :eek:
    Yeah I know - we are the most crowded country in the world, after Taiwan :eek:

OP
    Anders

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
  • Thread Starter #46
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Thanks :) So what do you think of my city? My 'hood' ain't very impressive, is it? :D

Yeah I know - we are the most crowded country in the world, after Taiwan :eek:
    Yo hood looks alot like mine... so I like it :thumb: ;) :D

Really? I knew you were crowded... but your are nr. 2 in the world???? :eek:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
    Yo hood looks alot like mine... so I like it :thumb: ;) :D
    :thumb: :D

Really? I knew you were crowded... but your are nr. 2 in the world???? :eek:
    Well if you include city states like Monaco etc. we are somewhere between #10 and #20 I believe but they usually don't get counted...

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    MY STREET!
    Here's the street (or rather, lane) I live in. Not the most beautiful one but it's well situated (close to the centre) and there's a tram stop right by my place! You can't really see my appartment on these pictures though, but it gives the impression.

i would trade that street for mine definitely..mine's horrible :groan:

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    no pic sorry

not that it's ugly or anything (it's a bit ugly but not that bad) but every time there's some new construction/renovation happning or some buglary or sth like that...no freakin peace :groan:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by dj juve ] ++
    no pic sorry

not that it's ugly or anything (it's a bit ugly but not that bad) but every time there's some new construction/renovation happning or some buglary or sth like that...no freakin peace :groan:
    Oh like that - I know what that's like. I used to live in a street just like that. Very criminal and such; that's no good!

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    hell yeah...that's why i might (just maybe) be moving..but it's a small possibility though..

and one of the worst thing in the neighbourhood, the field/park..the surface is like sth like 30 degs slanting(since the whole neighbour is on a tiny hill or somthing like that)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by dj juve ] ++
    hell yeah...that's why i might (just maybe) be moving..but it's a small possibility though..

and one of the worst thing in the neighbourhood, the field/park..the surface is like sth like 30 degs slanting(since the whole neighbour is on a tiny hill or somthing like that)
    The floors of your house ARE straight though, right? :eek: ;)
    We don't have that problem here - this country is flatter than flat!

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Venezuela

OFFICIAL NAME: Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela
    OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: Spanish
    Venezuela is located in the American continent, at the northern part of South America, between latitudes 0°38'53" (Birth of the Arari river in the Amazons state) and 12°11'46" (Cabo San Román - Falcón state) or 15°40'33" (Isla Aves - Territorios Insulares) longitudes 58°10'00" (Western part of the Esequibo river in the Guayana Esequiba) and 73°25'00" (Birth of Río Intermedio - Zulia state). It has borders with Colombia to the West, Brazil to the South and Guyana to the East. To the North of the country is the Caribbean sea.

TERRITORY
    Venezuela has a territory of 916.445 km2, and is divided in 23 states and a Federal District.

POPULATION
    Venezuela has a population of 23.4 million inhabitants (2000) of whom 85% lives in cities. This population is very young: 37% is less than 15 years old and 65% less than 30 years old. The growth of the population is very strong with a birth rate of 25.7 per one thousand, and a low mortality of 25.7 per one thousand. It is estimated that in the year 2000, Venezuela has 24 million inhabitants and in year 2010, 29 million. As a result, population doubles each 33 years.

Venezuela is a country of immigrants. As a matter of fact, only 2% of its population is Indian (native). The predominant ethnic group is the "mestizo" (mixture of European, African and Indian), and constitutes 69% of the population. Whites count for 20% and black for 9%. Since 1948, with the oil boom, there was an estimated of one million inmigrants from Spain, Italy and Portugal. Also a great number of Colombian arrived. Starting in 1958, a great number of Venezuelans moved from the country side to the city, and where replaced by Colombians. There was also a great professional immigration from Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, where the economic and political situation was not favorable. Later, the immigration - less prepared - from Colombia, Ecuador and Peru, continued with an estimated number of 2 million.

The Indian population is quite small, and is found mainly in the Guayana region and the Goajira peninsula, west of Lake Maracaibo.

Main cities (1990): Caracas 1,822,465; Maracaibo 1,249,670; Valencia 903,621; Barquisimeto 625,450; Ciudad Guayana 453,047.

ECONOMY AND FINANCES

Oil wells

The most important industry in Venezuela is Oil. Up to 1970, Venezuela was the world's major exporter. It also has other minerals.

EDUCATION
    Primary education in Venezuela is free and compulsory, however, private schools play a very important role and complement public schools.

Among the main universities are: Universidad Central de Venezuela, Universidad Simón Bolívar, Universidad Simón Rodríguez, Universidad del Zulia, Universidad de Los Andes, Universidad de Carabobo and Universidad de Oriente; and among private: Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, Universidad Metropolitana, Universidad Santa María, Universidad Nueva Esparta. For a more detailed list we offer the following links:

www.auyantepui.com/Web/educacion/universidades/.

A very well renowned institution is the Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Administración IESA, with management graduate studies and is one of the countries main "think tank".

if you wanna see the touristics spots (theyre very pretty) and pictures of caracas (the city where i live) go here: http://www.venezuelatuya.com/eng.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)