Should Zambrotta be fined/suspended for admitting to diving? (2 Viewers)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
The question is, Should Zambrotta be fined/suspended for admitting to diving?
In an ideal football world my answer would be yes (Zambrotta should be banned for 3 matches by the FIGC & fined a weeks wage by Juve) & Juve penalised too - Say deduct the goal & consequently two points. But who lives in an ideal world?
Good point Ali.
If it was like that, I wouldnt say, that his honesty was useless.

fli: thanks ;)

Zizou: noone compared him to thief - I said about thief example.
About murder - ask gray :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
You cant possiblly deduct a goal for diving, that would have unforseen consequences. One even can change the whole course of the match. Who's to say Juve wouldnt have attacked more and scored, or conceded on a counter attack. The score might have stayed 1-1, but it might have not. Plus, you'd have the FA deducting points every week, and the teams would appeal their asses to hell, as some penalties where a player dived might not have been punished, while actuall fouls might be seen as diving.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
That would be too big a punishment. Why punish a player who is repentant and will think twice next time before doing it, when you could punish players who do it week in, week out and never admit?
One simple reason: cause he dived and this is a fact.

I'm not sure, what's your opinion about such thing:
Zambro admitted diving and what? Did he expect that people say: nice guy, he admitted, so let's not punish him at all?
imo he should have expected that he will be punished for diving.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some other general thought: sometimes unproper behaviour is punished after watching video tapes: like CL matches, referee havent noticed some important bad behaviour, the consequences are: player is banned for some matches - banned by UEFA - am I right here?

Is that possible to change the rules and punish players for some other things? Like cheating?

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
You got me there Zlatan. :)
I would still stand by the punishment though. Accepting his mistake does not exonerate him.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++

One simple reason: cause he dived and this is a fact.

I'm not sure, what's your opinion about such thing:
Zambro admitted diving and what? Did he expect that people say: nice guy, he admitted, so let's not punish him at all?
imo he should have expected that he will be punished for diving.

----------------------------------------------------------

Some other general thought: sometimes unproper behaviour is punished after watching video tapes: like CL matches, referee havent noticed some important bad behaviour, the consequences are: player is banned for some matches - banned by UEFA - am I right here?

Is that possible to change the rules and punish players for some other things? Like cheating?
But he won't cos there is no such thing as punishing player for diving. Seriously what's worse, cheating and not admitting it or cheating and admitting it? And anyway, what did you expect Zambrotta to do, say that he did not dive when it was clear! He would have looked much worse.

This happens every weekend and many times we hear player saying they did not dive when it was obvious they dived and yet they don't cause such an earthquake like Zambrotta caused, only cos he admitted.

About your second point, we already discussed that ;) If the referee sees the action, the FIGC cannot take action against the player.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
But he won't cos there is no such thing as punishing player for diving. Seriously what's worse, cheating and not admitting it or cheating and admitting it? And anyway, what did you expect Zambrotta to do, say that he did not dive when it was clear! He would have looked much worse.

This happens every weekend and many times we hear player saying they did not dive when it was obvious they dived and yet they don't cause such an earthquake like Zambrotta caused, only cos he admitted.
I see about this: cos there is no such thing as punishing player for diving.

About this: Seriously what's worse, cheating and not admitting it or cheating and admitting it?
Cheating is wrong - that's all.

And even if he admitted that - as you said, he had no other option, cause everyone saw that, we cant say: that's fine, he admitted, so let's not punish him - I agree with Martin there: in this way we would say, that cheating is fine.

About your second point, we already discussed that ;) If the referee sees the action, the FIGC cannot take action against the player.
That's not fair then.
But my question was about sth else too: if there is such possibility to change the rules?

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Theoretically you cannot change the rules during the course of a season; they did it once and it was quite unethical so I doubt they would do it again.

About the cheating part, no one is saying it's good but let's take a recent example. Simone Inzaghi won a penalty last Wednesday against Besiktas and it was a clear dive, yet no one said anything, they just commented that he dived but it stopped there. So why should Zambrotta's story keep on going on?

Zambrotta is not a diver, he's a very fair play player who rarely does dirty deeds. So we punish a player who rarely does these things and not punish players such as the Inzaghi brothers cos we got used to their diving?

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
In a Calcio Italia story, Zambrotta admits to have dived in the game vs Bologna to earn us that winning penalty: http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/oct5h.html

So first he dived, he didn't admit to it in the moment but now he comes out and says it post match. It may be a little better than not saying it at all but it doesn't exactly make a difference, the penalty decision isn't going to be revoked now. However, he did admit to cheating and I think it would be appropriate to suspend him for it. If we want to eliminate diving, something has to be done.

What do you say?
it's ridiculous to ban him because he admitted diving and do nothing to players who dived and didn't admit.

I think you all are getting out of proportion. it's not like it's the first case of refereeing mistake. all the clubs enjoy from the referee's mistake and sometimes they suffer from it. it balances eventually! the good teams will succed and the lesser good will not.

so i'm hearing Bologna should have got a red card?? so it balances.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
About this: Seriously what's worse, cheating and not admitting it or cheating and admitting it?
Cheating is wrong - that's all.
Good point. Cheating is cheating admitted or not.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
That is another issue. maybe with the introduction of video evidence the cheats who don't admit can get their punishment.
It's the rules that suck Oded - So we should not try to justify a seen & admitted mistake with an unadmitted one.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
There is video evidence, but for incidents that the ref does not see.

Are you mentioning video evidence during the game or after the game?

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
After the game Zizou.
Oded it's not because I want it but because it's the conscientous thing to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)