SF 1 | Portugal - Holland (2 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

He can't no - playing on the wing takes A LOT of input and Overmars is ageing. But after 70 minutes or so he could be subbed for Makaay, who could play more to the centre but to Van Nistelrooij's right. Or Overmars could be subbed for Van Hooijdonk, then we would play with one winger (Robben) and Heitinga's excellent long passes could be headed through by Van Hooijdonk to Van Nistelrooij, who could finish the job.

And that's just two alternate ways that I would use.
I see.thanks for answering Erik:)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
I'm agreed with those Erik. Van Der Meyde is very average at the minute, he's not really creating a great deal. Plus sneijder is in my dream team and he's on the bench every game :lazy:
but he looked like he really had one heck of a future ahead of him in his Ajax days:confused:.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
I dont think Advocaat will start AVDM against Portugal . The same Johan Cruyff, after seeing the match against Swedes, insist that Holland needs to play Wesley Sneijder.....

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
I think if Holland play like everyone knows they can...we can win Portugal...Hopefully he will choose not to play Cocu...My fingers are crossed for that one!...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Andries - you'll be happy to hear that Andy van der Meyde appears to have lost his starting position (Advocaat said as much at today's press conference though he was a bit vague).

Jun 16, 2004
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-van der Sar-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-Reiziger-=-=-=-Stam-=-=-=-=-Heitinga-=-=-=-Bouma-=-

-=-=-Sneijder-=-=-=-=-van der Vaart-=-=-=-=-Davids-=-=-

-=-Overmars-=-=-=-=-van Nistelrooy-=-=-=-=-Robben-=-

Makaay can replace Overmars
van Hooijdonk can replace van Nistelrooy
Seedorf can replace van der Vaart
Cocu can replace Sneijder
Bosvelt can replace Davids
van der Meyde can replace Robben and switch sides with Makaay if necessary
van Bronckhorst can replace Bouma
Westerveld can replace van der Sar

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Andries - you'll be happy to hear that Andy van der Meyde appears to have lost his starting position (Advocaat said as much at today's press conference though he was a bit vague).
Indeed I am. I felt it was a disgrace van der Meyde started every game. I don't think he did 2 things right. Now as for Sneijder, I'm a big fan of him so let's hope he does a better job. Well...he'll definitely do better, but I want him to do a lot better.

But I have to say I think Portugal is by far the favourite in this one, because Holland really failed to impress me against Sweden. Though Deco and Figo didn't really show that much this tournament and Rui Costa could face the bench once more. In that case Davids is going to have party in midfield!

But I still think Portugal to win 1-0 with a legal Dutch goal disallowed.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
Btw, Advocaat really was funny at the press conference.
You mean the final comment? "Which final would you like to see?"

"Holland-Czech Republic. And then I'd sub Robben for Bosvelt" :howler:

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
If Holland play decently they'll win easily, iMO. I doubt Portugal is that strong. pred: 1-3
if holland play decently they'll loose hardly.IMO. I really think Port is a very strong team.Pred: 2-1 for Port

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #37
    Portugal is the stronger team in the sense of being a team. They grind out their victories on ball possession. They lead the tournament in short passes, and they have defenders that can mark strong strikers, like Van Nistelrooy, quite well.

What they don't have is the capability to score a lot of goals, let alone to finish with good chances. To Holland's credit, they're a better team on paper. They also lead the tournament in deep passes, which might cause a lot of trouble for Portugal. And I don't give Portugal much of a home edge in this tournament -- afterall, 2/3 of the fans at the England-Portugal QF were wearing the cross of St. George and making far more noise than the "locals".

I think they're fairly matched up without a clear favorite. It's going to come down to Portugal not making stupid mistakes (see opening goals in matches against Greece, England) versus Holland's ability to stretch the field and not get frustrated.

I smell extra time here, and as much as I would prefer Portugal to win -- I'm going to pick Holland to win with a creative Van Nistelrooy goal in ET: 2-1.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    With the two teams playing at his best, Portugal would not be a match for the oranges.But with the two teams fluctuating between decent performances and crappy ones, the winner will be the one that makes less mistakes......

Neptune

May 2, 2004
    I don't know how to predict the result, but I believe it will be a wonderful match!

And I agree with swag, Portugal has a lot of advantages, but holland will never give up the good chance to prove themself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)