SF 1 | Portugal - Holland (2 Viewers)

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
anyway, damn that Maniche's goal was cool... Like Litmanen said in our TV2's studio, he'll never again score that kind of goal... But Andrade's goal was fine too... :D

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Holland deserved to go out but I really wanted to see it go to a pen shootout excitment value.

Erik hard luck bro. All those players you mentioned who will hang up their boots I think Davids and Overmars should still play because for their age esp' Overmars was the fastest player on the pitch. Was he subbed 2nd half because he was on a yellow and was close to a red:confused:

I was just thinking if Holland have a natural OMF playmaker cause Seedorf behind RVN didnt work.

Pressure is on Nedved and the boys this could be a final to remember. ez

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Poku ] ++
Andrade's goal was fine too... :D
Indeed it was a great finish. Portugal scored 3 decent goals today :D Funny how own goals usually look like great finishes. Maybe they should've replaced Pauleta with Andrade :)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Sorry Erik :)

BTW, why the hell did Advocaat bring Kluivert to Portugal if he didnt plan on giving him one single minute of play? He's the only Dutch player that didnt play.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Agree 100%. I remember watching him playing for Ajax when he'd just run on the wing until he reaches the corner flag, stops and does these stupid "dribbling" moves and somehow they'd accomplish their purpose and he gets to cross. His crosses were amazing I remember. As for Overmars, you've already said it.
nosub959 my fav moments was whwn Overmars stood up Nuno.Valenti I think it was and pace the crap out of him and when he tracked back and outsprinted C.Ronaldo back in defence. Old mans still got it:cool: Figo also did Cocu a few times whats going on. Alessandro Dp should be ashamed hes only 29 and has the pace of a snail:D someone sort him out with some pace enhancin' drugs.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Let me tell you guys... to me Figo is an MVP for this tournament. He's done everything yesterday- had a great assist, a pass to Pauleta which should have been a goal, hit the bar twice...

I am really impressed by this 31 year old.

We will have a great final.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
Let me tell you guys... to me Figo is an MVP for this tournament.
Nup
He's done everything yesterday
Yep

I agree that he played much better than he did in his other matches, but that's not saying much. His performance probably looked a lot better because we had such shite to compare to before that

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #96
    Wow. What a performance. Portugal keeps getting stronger. This game wasn't nearly as close as the score might suggest (even if Portugal scored all the goals!). If only Scolari would have listened to me when I told him start Nino Valente, Deco, and, most egregiously, Ricardo Carvalho against Greece... ;)

There's always been a lingering "rumor" of world class football out of Portugal for years now. And not until this year, between this and the CL, we're finally starting to see some proof. There's no denying that this team deserves to be in the final -- they've earned it. Congrats to them. :thumb:

And anyone who thinks that the traditional power axis of European football has a monopoly on the game has been rudely served notice this year. It's time to look over the fences ... you're no longer the only game in town.

(This is the closest I will get to my own "in-your-face" Portugal NT .sig: :party: )

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Nup

Yep

I agree that he played much better than he did in his other matches, but that's not saying much. His performance probably looked a lot better because we had such shite to compare to before that
    Very true indeed. But then who would be his competitors? Out of the teams left I would say Baros, N. Gomes (doubtful though since he is on the bench) and Karagounis/Basinas.

I think if Figo keeps the paste he had last night and contributes to Portugal victory, he'll get the award.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by MCPIERO ] ++

nosub959 my fav moments was whwn Overmars stood up Nuno.Valenti I think it was and pace the crap out of him and when he tracked back and outsprinted C.Ronaldo back in defence. Old mans still got it:cool: Figo also did Cocu a few times whats going on. Alessandro Dp should be ashamed hes only 29 and has the pace of a snail:D someone sort him out with some pace enhancin' drugs.
    Del Piero sometimes is incredibly fast. Like 2 seasons ago in the first game against Atalanta, man did he run like the wind..
    And he used to be really fast. But his slowness isn't a real problem, he just dribbles the defender twice.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
    Yes the 2002/2003 season he started on fire but as of late whats the reason for him being so sluggish and weak. At 29 it doesnt make sense. Is it desire because Figo ran like a 21 year old when everyone said hes lost his pace and is getting too old and tired to keep up with the game of today.

There is no point in talking about the young DP. The current one doesnt even compare.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004

But then who would be his competitors? Out of the teams left I would say Baros, N. Gomes (doubtful though since he is on the bench) and Karagounis/Basinas.

I think if Figo keeps the paste he had last night and contributes to Portugal victory, he'll get the award.
    Nah, they can't award Figo for just one good game, otherwise he has been awful... The candidates right now are Baros and Nedved from Czech, Basinas and "the one who score agaist France" from Greece, Ronaldo and Carvalho from Portugal... I'd be very disappointed if Figo got he award...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)