Serie B: 26/05/07: Juventus - Mantova (2 Viewers)

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
@Mike-e-y, I agree with your ratings and thanks for the hard effort. :pint:

Yes, Marchionni, Nedved and Zebina were our best players.
cheers ahmed happy to be of assistance to any who did not have the chance to see the game!

yeah marchionni and zebina in particular were superb, hard to chose between them, nedved was pure class again, but as i said thats just an average performance for him :p

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
i just got to know that we won and i also read the reports posted my mikey ( superb post bro, thanks). i must say thou that i feel gutted i honestly feel soooooo upset and sorry for dd. this is not the way to treat an ex- juventino nor a way to treat a manager who did everything expected from him. shame on this new management this is a disgraceful image for juventus honestly it made me sick. i said it earlier this season and here i am sticking to my words i f***ing hate this new board. as for the rumours linking us to lippi well i m 50% happy he is coming back but i would rather see dd take us thru seria he has owned it more than lippi in my opinion. as for crapello to return well he might be a successful manager in the eyes of some people on this forum ( and i honestly respect there opinion) but i'm pretty sure that no one wants him for heavens sake he abandoned us as soon as we were dropped to seria B and there fore does not even deserve to be back.

finally thank u sooooooooooooooo much dd i wish u the best at the new club u will be heading too ia m pretty sure there is a long list of teams that would love to have a manager like dd on there bench a real fighter and a very respectable manager.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, match report time...

Grazie mille, Didi. You took on the challenge of coaching this club in its darkest hours and lead us back to where we belonged. Then our board rewarded you by treating you like dirt. :frown:

Juve put together one of their most solid defensive performances this season. While Mantova didn't do too much to threaten us, everything at the backline today seemed calm, cool, collected, and deliberate... none of that panic attack stuff we've seen in the past few matches. I like Didi's choice of making Marchisio play as the focal point for ball distribution in midfield. He still has a bit to grow, but IMO, he seems quite effective at it -- particularly given his experience levels.

The team didn't risk much defensively, but we also didn't create too many good chances for the first half. But in due time, they came. Overall, a match that didn't have that drive to win at all costs -- but one where the team played for respect. They achieved that.

Buffon - 6.5 - Is there anybody in the entire stadium that Gigi did not wink at today? Not tested much, thanks to the backline. But handled any dicier situations well.

Balzaretti - 7 - Beautiful cross in to Trez for the first goal. He blew defensive coverage a couple times late in the match, but nothing that turned out to be too risky.

Boumsong - 7 - He was a rock. Didn't even flinch at making a single mistake all match. Great pursuit, great placement, and good, aggressive tackles when needed. I'd have given him a 7.5 if he was challenged just a little more.

Chiellini - 6.5 - Generally pretty solid.

Zebina - 7 - One of the best matches I've seen him play for us in a while -- particularly offensively. Runs up the pitch, good crosses, threatening play. It's awesome to see the fans responding to him now after all the grief he received (and deserved) earlier. And I had to laugh at his mini-tirade after the ref forced him to take a free kick further back. :lol: It was entertaining and somewhat childish, but didn't earn a card.

Nedved - 7 - Great pursuit and pace as always. Played more on the left side of the pitch this time, instead of behind the forwards. Still managed to be effective. And the pursuit on the corner kick that lead to the second goal was a freight train that wasn't going to be stopped -- and yet he showed subtlety in tapping it over the goalie when it was needed.

Marchisio - 6.5 - These days I have to judge him on his role -- and that seems to be a pivot point at midfield for possession ... not unlike Del Piero often serves as right outside of the opponent's box. Most of his passes were smart, quick, and accurate. Really got us moving the ball around a lot. A careless tackle here and there, but he added at both ends of the pitch. I want to keep watching this guy in A.

Zanetti - 6.5 - Generally solid. Not as many touches as Marchisio, but that wasn't his role.

Marchionni - 6.5 - I am not as enamored with his play today as some have been. I was a huge fan of him at Parma last season and was excited to see him come to Juve. But he's lacked something ever since. Today, I finally figured out what it was. His crosses are blocked and deflected far too often. Balzaretti, nedved, DP, even Zebina all seem to have better success rates at serving good crosses through defenders. Either he misjudges the defenders, miskicks his crosses, or doesn't have the speed to turn the corner on the defense -- but he fails to connect on too many crosses. To his credit, though, he was very effective at upfield passes. Which makes me wonder: could he be more effective as a straight ahead midfielder for us instead of a winger?

Trezeguet - 7 Made the most out of his few touches. Can't expect much more from him than that.

Del Piero - 6.5 - His free kicks left something to be desired, but he contributed to some great ball movement. Particularly springing Balzaretti on the left for the cross that lead to the first goal.

MOM is a tough one. I'm split between Zebina and Nedved.

Subs:

Palladino - 6 - Didn't do a whole lot.

Birindelli - 6 - Same here.

Zalayeta - NR - Barely on.

Deschamps - 6.5 - While the club didn't look hungry on offense to start (save for a period where we pressed and almost scored very early on), the defense was in very sound shape. Marchisio ensured good ball distribution in midfield, Del Piero upfield. No one really had a weak game today. We stuck to the strategy and patience was rewarded.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
thanx swagger and Mike

Marchionni is a better solution as an advanced winger than a regular winger in 442. As in the latter his skills and teamwork will come more into place, which imo is his weak characteristics.

May 15, 2007
i was at the match and my ratings are:

Buffon 6.5 - didnt have to make a save
Zebina 7 - a great game
Boumsong 7 - wasnt his usual calamity self
Chiellini 7 - could have got 7.5 if he hadnt booted the ball away
Balza 7.5 - great cross for Trez's goal
Marchionni 7 - had great pace and decent crossing
Zanetti 6.5 - didnt have to much of the ball but was his usual bullish self
Marchisio 7 - first time i seen him play, great awareness and passing abilities
Nedved 8 - scored, showed pace, grit, determination MOM
Del Piero 7 - full of flicks and tricks, audacious effort from a Nedved corner.
Trez 7.5 - touched the ball quite a few times, typical goal

Palla 6 - showed pace on the ball
Biri n/a not enough time
Zala " "

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
My last recap of Serie B :weee: :weee:

Juve dominated this game from whistle to whistle. It was a great payback for what happened in the first meeting.

I thought everyone played well, and Mantova was never in the game

ratings-

Buffon - 6.5 - can you give a guy a 7 for doing absolutely nothing ??:D

Balzaretti - 6.5- assisted on the Trez goal, and was ok defensively

Boumsong - 6.5- was never tested today, but I still wouldnt trust him as a starter in A

Chiellini - 6.5 - does well playing out of position

Zebina - 7 - his best game of the season. He was very pacey, and did some nice things with the ball. Also very good defensively. No yellow cards either :D

Nedved - 7 - Neddy was pure pace today, and was very determined to put the ball into the net when he was given the chance. I hope he sticks around for a couple more seasons

Marchisio - 6- I tried to watch him when he had the ball, but he just seemed not to have it long enough to be noticed. He didnt make any mistakes, so I'll take that as a positive. I have doubts about him as a starter in A

Zanetti - 7 - all over the midfield, doing what he does best. He is showing the same form he had during Euro 2004

Marchionni - 6.5 - I have to borrow Greg's anaysis on this one, as he describes things perfectly- " I am not as enamored with his play today as some have been. I was a huge fan of him at Parma last season and was excited to see him come to Juve. But he's lacked something ever since. Today, I finally figured out what it was. His crosses are blocked and deflected far too often. Balzaretti, nedved, DP, even Zebina all seem to have better success rates at serving good crosses through defenders. Either he misjudges the defenders, miskicks his crosses, or doesn't have the speed to turn the corner on the defense -- but he fails to connect on too many crosses. To his credit, though, he was very effective at upfield passes. Which makes me wonder: could he be more effective as a straight ahead midfielder for us instead of a winger?"

Trezeguet - 7- typical Trez- invisible for long periods, and then scores a goal

Del Piero - 6.5 - had an assist and was decent today. I think he's getting a little too concerned about being the capocannoniere, as he could have passed the ball a little more instead of shooting

DD- 7- mission accomplished, arrivederci !!

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
cheers ahmed happy to be of assistance to any who did not have the chance to see the game!

yeah marchionni and zebina in particular were superb, hard to chose between them, nedved was pure class again, but as i said thats just an average performance for him :p
But you said that his average is an impressive performance. :tongue:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Balzaretti - had a moment of insanity when he was dribbling in our penalty area but he got away with it.
That was hilarious in retrospect, and I had a great time in the stands with the locals yelling "Oh dio, Federico! :wallbang:"

Had an awesome time at the match; maybe I'll get around to posting pictures/report someday :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)