[Serie A] Verona 2-2 JUVENTUS (Feb. 9th 2014) (21 Viewers)

MoM

• Licht

• Pirlo

• Caceres

• Tevez

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
MAINLY due to his height

He's also not very athletic, as opposed to Chiellini. Let's not forget that Luca Toni completely destroyed Chiellini in the air today.

Yeah Vialli, it's the mentality that has to change. There's absolutely no logical reason to have such an awful mentality.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Toni destroyed everyone. The way he shrugged off Bonucci on the first goal was too easy. Red is right, our defenders have to be more aggressive in these situations. But let's be clear, this has become a problem under Conte.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Probably didn't matter, but the graphic is right in saying Peluso's position is wrong in relation to the rest of the defence.

Barzagli is very much part of Juve's problem with defending set-pieces.

Defending high balls is undoubtedly the weakest part of his game.
:tup: Peluso's wrongly positioned, seems to me that Ogbonna and Bonucci lost sight of the ball for a while, if the near post guys don't cut out the ball it's extremely difficult to defend such bendy crosses across the face of goal.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
That's one thing I will agree on, collectively we suck on set pieces now.

Seem to be focusing on the man rather than the ball, which is even worse in Europe because European reffs can and will give penalties against players who aren't attempting to get the ball.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Didn't watch the game, but no-one should be surprised that conceding goals from set-pieces has finally cost Juve. They been conceding goals from them for quite a while now.

I believe the issue is that the individual players are not taking the responsibility to go and attack the ball properly to clear the ball.

It's the big guys in the Juve team that need to be doing that: the three centre backs and Pogba (Llorente is different because he is the near-post guy and he does generally do his job there at corners).

At corners the big players seem too happy to merely block the opponent they are marking. That is okay to a point, but if no-one goes to attack the ball, you are risking the ball dropping in a dangerous area and then anything might happen.

At freekicks the problem is different. Juve are not properly committing to a plan for how to defend them. They are hoping to catch people offside, but aren't actually pushing up to make that happen. If they aren't offside, Juve are then in big trouble because they then aren't marking properly and attackers have a clear run to go and meet the ball unchallenged in a dangerous position (think of the save Storari made pushing a header onto the bar against Lazio).

There is no excuse for Juve to be conceding these goals when they have so many big, powerful players in their team.
I agree in everything you wrote Red and I will add, Pogba ,in last several games is in like he is a Messi/Ronaldo/Riberi player.Million mistakes.Okay he passes to Tevez to second goal but thats was all he did .Other he did a big damage to Juve.Also Vidal.Worst game for him in a Juve jersey.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
That's one thing I will agree on, collectively we suck on set pieces now.

Seem to be focusing on the man rather than the ball, which is even worse in Europe because European reffs can and will give penalties against players who aren't attempting to get the ball.
That's how you do it. You need to focus mostly on a player you're trying to close down, the ball comes second. In this case those 3 completely lost Toni.

am0110

Jun 5, 2005
Bonucci is agrressive as a dead horse.The guy is strong but such a pussy.He resists to make a single tackle.He definitely should be sold this summer.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Vidal looked tired, so did Pogba. However at least Vidal wasn't constantly giving fouls away and trying to do everything himself
Pogba has to be more of a team player. Sure, it's great when all is well and Pogba is making a fool out of defenders when we're 3-0 up and cruising. But in games like this, the simple tasks like retaining the ball and keeping the ball moving need to take precedent over trying a roulette in your own 3rd.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
That's how you do it. You need to focus mostly on a player you're trying to close down, the ball comes second. In this case those 3 completely lost Toni.
Nah I get that, yeah you need to make sure you know where the player is

But my point is, even when we're surrounding a player and have him 'locked down' we still seem to just push and shove the man and hope we can put him off rather than actually challenge him in the air.

I can't be overly critical because Luca Toni is 6 foot 5 and made a career out of doing what he did today, but we need to make life difficult for him instead of backing into him slightly and hoping it puts him off.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Vidal looked tired, so did Pogba. However at least Vidal wasn't constantly giving fouls away and trying to do everything himself
Pogba has to be more of a team player. Sure, it's great when all is well and Pogba is making a fool out of defenders when we're 3-0 up and cruising. But in games like this, the simple tasks like retaining the ball and keeping the ball moving need to take precedent over trying a roulette in your own 3rd.
True. I was irritated at times how instead of choosing the simple solutions in front of him, youngster tends to overly complicate and gets himself into trouble, us into difficulties and defense under pressure. Conte needs to straight this out with him.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
I'm sure Pogba will iron it out, I just hope it is an issue with his lack of experience rather than over-confidence

I can live with a striker who tries the improbable, but really when we're so close to our own goal, these risks are a low reward, high risk type of deal. I mean, really, making a simple pass would have the desired effect.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
3 CB defence is messing up our assignments in the box IMO.

If you look at the tying goal, Ogbonna is in line with Caceres who is the other CB. The player is offside if Bonucci is not on the field. The 3rd CB complicates the box assignments to me because he's in behind Ogbonna's man and keeping him onside. For Ogbonna, he's thinking either his man will be offside or if he's not offside, at least the sweeper, who is marking no one, will slide over and pick him up, since he's keeping him onside anyway.

For me, there's a problem when the sweeper is a free man but he does not ATTACK the ball. He just complicates the scenario in the box. I think with only 2 CBs, they take their marking situation more seriously, they are not trying to slide in front or form some type of partnership with the sweeper, they are just muscling their man and attacking the ball.

I feel on set pieces our CBs are always looking around at each other like it's someone else's fault all the time. Actually both times, the goal comes from Ogbonna and Bonucci looking confused.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Today was a good example of Marotta, and Conte's failures on the market. Juventus doesn't have any decent midfielders to alternate with Pogba and Vidal. But hey, lets get osvaldo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)