[Serie A] Sampdoria - Juventus (5 Viewers)

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Del Piero to face Samp Tuesday 21 September, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero will be recalled to the Juventus side for the midweek trip to Sampdoria.

The captain was rested for the 2-0 win over Atalanta on Sunday, but will start alongside David Trezeguet on Wednesday evening.

Manuele Blasi is also expected to return to the team but boss Fabio Capello won’t be rotating his defenders.

"We need to consolidate certain mechanisms so I won’t be making many changes back there," said the tactician.

"When we are convinced that everything is working well, then I will start to think about resting players.

"I apologise to the members of the squad who are being left out but the season is a long one."

The Juve defence of Jonathan Zebina, Lilian Thuram, Fabio Cannavaro and Gianluca Zambrotta have yet to concede a goal this term.

The Old Lady go into the match as favourites given their 100 per cent record and the fact that Samp have lost both games so far.

But Capello has warned his troops that Doria should be respected – no matter what the League table says.

"They are an excellent side who are bossed by Walter Novellino, a former teammate of mine," he added.

"They will be keen to show people what they can do and playing against a side like Juventus will give them the stimulus they need.

"We can’t underestimate them and my boys know this. I’m sure Sampdoria will be protagonists in the season ahead."

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
True.... it's not gonna be easy , lets hope we can win this game , then we can rest some of our main players for the upcomin games, cuz the matches ahead of us , are kinda easy !! anyhow the most impo thing is 3points ... lets have them and stay at the top of the table ....

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by MCPIERO ] ++
Del Piero to face Samp Tuesday 21 September, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero will be recalled to the Juventus side for the midweek trip to Sampdoria.
The captain was rested for the 2-0 win over Atalanta on Sunday, but will start alongside David Trezeguet on Wednesday evening.

Manuele Blasi is also expected to return to the team but boss Fabio Capello won’t be rotating his defenders.

"We need to consolidate certain mechanisms so I won’t be making many changes back there," said the tactician.

"When we are convinced that everything is working well, then I will start to think about resting players.

"I apologise to the members of the squad who are being left out but the season is a long one."

The Juve defence of Jonathan Zebina, Lilian Thuram, Fabio Cannavaro and Gianluca Zambrotta have yet to concede a goal this term.

The Old Lady go into the match as favourites given their 100 per cent record and the fact that Samp have lost both games so far.

But Capello has warned his troops that Doria should be respected – no matter what the League table says.

"They are an excellent side who are bossed by Walter Novellino, a former teammate of mine," he added.

"They will be keen to show people what they can do and playing against a side like Juventus will give them the stimulus they need.

"We can’t underestimate them and my boys know this. I’m sure Sampdoria will be protagonists in the season ahead."
Now i can relax :D !

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by jakobg ] ++

I'm not gonna say anything about Del Piero, as I haven't followed Juve that closly earlier seasons, but from what I've heard/read he was not in his best form last season and from what I've seen this season he has not been all that good.

Therefor I think the comparsion with Bergkamp is a bit unfair. I mean, Bergkamp is maybe playing his best foortball ever now. He always has great assists and is most of the time excellent at Arsenal. Again, not saying DP isn't as good as Bergkamp, just maybe not in as good form.

But anyway, I'd like to see DP-Trez on Wednesday. Zlatan had his worst game in several months last Sunday, and his tough schedule with Ajax/Sweden/Juve has clearly been tough to him. I say rest Zlatan for a full 90 minutes on Wednesday and let DP and Trez play. They'll do the job!

Hmm. I think I did not make my point clear enough.
I meant to write that DP can never play a good game when he does not score(according to the press that is). SO even if he plays an awesome match but does not score, DP played suddenly awfull.
Against Ajax DP had much more to add to our play than Zlatan did.
Dp combined with Zambrotta dangerously all the time and DP's pass to Camoranesi leading up to the goal was simply class.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Great news that DP is starting, I think he will play 2 games in a row tom orrow with Trezeguet and in the weekend with Zlatan.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
i thinl DP will play both full games....... and treze will be subbed in the end of the game for xaltan..

in the weekendxlatan will start alongside dp!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++

Hmm. I think I did not make my point clear enough.
I meant to write that DP can never play a good game when he does not score(according to the press that is). SO even if he plays an awesome match but does not score, DP played suddenly awfull.
Against Ajax DP had much more to add to our play than Zlatan did.
Dp combined with Zambrotta dangerously all the time and DP's pass to Camoranesi leading up to the goal was simply class.
Agreed 100 %...

Sep 14, 2003
I'm happy Capello won't be making too many changes, even though we'll play 3 games in the next 6 days. Lippi was a big fan of the squad rotation and I think it contributed to our poor form last season.

May 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
I'm happy Capello won't be making too many changes, even though we'll play 3 games in the next 6 days. Lippi was a big fan of the squad rotation and I think it contributed to our poor form last season.
cappello will roate in midfield and atack but not defene ... maybe after a while koz da defence is just too good and they can get beter... on the other hand atack shuld kep rotating till we find perfect double probably zla-zal (zlaan-zalayeta) da double to be benched ofcourse .. hehe... as for mid camo and oli still rotate da competition makes em both play better... blasi tachi.. i heard tachi performed well last match ....

Aug 26, 2003
Serie A Preview: Sampdoria-Juventus
9/21/2004 8:11:00 PM
Will Juventus keep their 100% record or will Sampdoria be able to slow down the bianconeri's run?
BACKGROUND

One of the current tail enders vs the current leaders, a team going through a bad period vs a team in a wonderful shape. Apparently the bookmakers should not accept bets on the winner.

In the last season Juventus won 2-1 at Marassi thanks to a diving header by Camoranesi and a precise shot by Antonio Conte.

Sampdoria was defeated twice by opponents who were not indeed better than them, Lazio and Siena, and were damaged by injuries (Diana and Doni out) and referees (3 players sent off in 2 matches). The performances were rather good but Novellino should find new offensive schemes and the players should show more bravery and control their nerves.

Probably the start of the season before time in order to prepare the CL preliminary round is now an advantage for Juventus who are in a splendid shape. Everything works: the defense is unbeatable, the midfield creates and defends, the forwards score. Juventus easily defeated both Brescia and Atalanta in serie A and Ajax in Champions League.

TEAM NEWS

Sampdoria:

Volpi and Carrozzieri are banned, while Diana (calf), Doni (ankle) and Pisano (thigh) are all injured. Antonioli is back after the ban. Novellino is planning to give a chance to Edusei and Kutuzov.

Juventus:

Capello can choose the starting lineup from an almost complete roster (just Montero, Ferrara and perhaps Chimenti out). Probably Del Piero will be in the starting lineup with Ibrahimovic on the bench, even if yesterday Del Piero didn’t play in the practice game.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Sampdoria:

The n.10 Flachi is the the star of this team. The Belorussian forward Kutuzov could be a surprise.

Juventus:

Juventus are a team full champions. The goalie Buffon, the defenders Thuram and Cannavaro, the left back Zambrotta, the midfielders Emerson and Nedved, the forwards Trezeguet, Del Piero, Ibrahimovic.
We could write books about them..

PROBABLE STARTING XIs

Samp (4-4-2):
Antonioli - Sacchetti, M.Castellini, Falcone, Tonetto - C.Zenoni, Edusei, Palombo, Kutuzov - Flachi, Bazzani.

Juventus (4-4-2):
Buffon - Zebina, Thuram, F.Cannavaro, Zambrotta - Camoranesi, Blasi, Emerson, Nedved - Del Piero, Trezeguet.

PREDICTION

Unless there is a big surprise, Juventus will win.

Samp 0-2 Juventus

i like the part players to watch from Juve!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)