Serie A: Roma vs Juventus [September 23 2007] (19 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Del Piero challenges Giallorossi
Saturday 22 September, 2007
Alessandro Del Piero sees Juventus on a par with Serie A leaders Roma ahead of Sunday’s "electrifying" showdown.

“It will be an electrifying encounter,” the Bianconeri captain told Sky Italia of the Olimpico clash.

“I think that Roma are the favourites, but in the grand scheme of things the two teams are of equal strength.”

After three rounds the Giallorossi are the only side with a 100 per cent record and are yet to concede a single goal.

They also impressed with a midweek 2-0 victory over Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League and will hope to extend that run on Sunday afternoon.

Del Piero’s international career has always seen him compared to various other players, including Roma captain Francesco Totti.

“I never had any arguments with Totti. We respect each other and, in fact, we both would have liked to play together a bit more,” insisted Alex.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Claudio Ranieri believes Juventus are “not inferior to Roma or anyone else,” but also complained about the English media hounding him.

The Bianconeri are hoping to be the first Serie A side ever to win the Scudetto straight after earning promotion, but suffered their first defeat at home to Udinese last week.

“We at Juventus are not inferior to anyone, let alone Roma. We recognise their strength, but there is no such thing as a perfect team. We are going to the Olimpico convinced we can play our game.”

The Giallorossi are the only side with a 100 per cent record and are yet to concede a single goal ahead of Sunday’s showdown, but Juve have been dented by that loss to Udinese.

“If Alessandro Del Piero had scored three goals that day instead of hitting the woodwork three times, they would have made him a Saint. Let us say it was one of those moments that is needed to become a great team.”

Ranieri is trying to rebuild his side after the Calciopoli scandal and the year in Serie B, but he sees parallels with the current Roma outfit.

“Roma’s system is perfect now and they were reborn after a difficult period. That is more or less what we have to do as well,” noted the Coach.

“In terms of history we are superior, but that is all water under the bridge and now the mill is churning out fresh water. Luciano Spalletti has been at the Olimpico for three years and oversaw a revolution. I just got here.”

The Bianconeri make the trip without the suspended Jonathan Zebina, while Jean-Alain Boumsong, Mauro Camoranesi and Marco Marchionni are injured.

“Sergio Almiron has recovered, as have the others, and I expect to see a continual growth from my squad. The champions are acting like champions and we are improving with each day. The defeat to Udinese did not dent our conviction.”

Yet Roma are in stunning form right now, as between the Italian Super Cup, Champions League and Serie A they have won all five games, scoring 10 goals and conceding none.

“This is a classic fixture. Francesco Totti is a champion, but I am also thinking about Spalletti’s new signings. Ludovic Giuly looks as if he has been at Roma for five years and Mirko Vucinic is doing much better this year.”

The Calciopoli scandal and the removal of so many controversial figures at the helm have seemingly cleared the air between the two rival clubs, as this week has seen none of the usual headline-baiting statements of previous years.

“I think that is an educational move. I always tell my players not to complain, as I never want to see tension before we go out on to the pitch. I am happy with the situation.”

Ranieri could be forgiven for feeling tense, though, as with Jose Mourinho’s departure from Chelsea, the newspapers in both countries have suggested the next stop is Juventus.

“The English media call me every day and it really is a pain,” said the former Stamford Bridge boss. “What do I think about Mourinho and Chelsea? I couldn’t care less.”

Source: Channel4.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
“Sergio Almiron has recovered, as have the others, and I expect to see a continual growth from my squad. The champions are acting like champions and we are improving with each day. The defeat to Udinese did not dent our conviction.”

Source: Channel4.com
Presumably this means Nocerino is fit to play?

Hope he starts.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Ranieri is diff from Capello just look at his statements always before the games, he keep giving his players lot of credits and morals.

I'm sure he does more in the dressing room where the moral should always remain high.

Forza RANIERI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
I convocati per Roma

Dopo aver fatto sostenere l’allenamento di rifinitura, Claudio Ranieri ha convocato 21 bianconeri per trasferta in casa della Roma. Si gioca domenica pomeriggio (ore 15), sfida valida per la 4ª giornata d’andata di Serie A.

Fuori lo squalificato Zebina e gli infortunati Camoranesi, Boumsong e Marchionni, a cui si aggiunge Belardi.

Torna a disposizione Salihamidzic. Prima convocazione stagionale per Grygera.

1 Buffon
2 Birindelli
3 Chiellini
4 Almiron
6 Zanetti
7 Salihamidzic
9 Iaquinta
10 Del Piero
11 Nedved
14 Andrade
17 Trezeguet
19 Criscito
20 Palladino
21 Grygera
22 Vanstrattan
23 Nocerino
24 Olivera
28 Molinaro
30 Tiago
31 Novembre
33 Legrottaglie
---------------------------------------------------------

nocerino is fit ! I don't know if hes 100% cause he missed one or two training sessions if am not mistaken.

The question that comes to my mind is whether Grygera will be started or not and the formation we will be starting with will be interesting.

Anyway am pumped and can't wait , FORZA JUVE

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I'd love for Mourinho to replace Ranieri but we can't axe him already. We have three wins in four official games under him and a defeat this weekend would be far from a disaster. You guys don't want it to be like Deschamps all over again do you? Clubs need to put faith in their managers and Claudio Ranieri works for Juve, Jose Mourinho does not.

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
CR is playing with his available players, he is a good coach and hope he will prove so, but we have many missing and unfit players while roma are on top form and have all their key players. only if Camo was availabe :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)