[Serie A] Roma 1-2 JUVENTUS [January 12th, 2019] (1 Viewer)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Sarri always complains about things he is directly responsible for.
He made good points tho. He is complaining about the way the players are executing things, hold possession way back for no reason instead of move up and not defend higher up/play short instead of long. These are all ideas he wants them to execute at all times. It's his job to make sure they do, so commenting about it like this is his way to drill this type of ideas into them if it's not working in training or not doing it in match time. Also clearly a sign of failure leadership and management wise from him. But it's fine for him to point it out or complain about it. It's part of the overall process.

I worry about his ability to adapt to individual games during it or having plan B that's effective particular matchups, this is something that's extremely crucial for CL and something he never shown he is capable of.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
2011/12 Conte, serie A 41 pts (31:12), no CL, no Supercoppa
2012/13 Conte, serie A 44 pts (40:13), CL 12 pts (12:4), Supercoppa 3 pts (4:2), TOTAL 59 pts (56:19)
2013/14 Conte, serie A 52 pts (46:12), CL 6 pts (9:9), Supercoppa 3 pts (4:0), TOTAL 61 pts (59:21)
2014/15 Allegri, serie A 46 pts (42:9), CL 10 pts (7:4), Supercoppa 1 pt (2:2), TOTAL 57 pts (51:15)
2015/16 Allegri, serie A 39 pts (33:15), CL 11 pts (6:3), Supercoppa 3 pts (2:0), TOTAL 53 pts (41:18)
2016/17 Allegri, serie A 48 pts (41:14), CL 14 pts (11:2), Supercoppa 1 pt (1:1), TOTAL 63 pts (53:17)
2017/18 Allegri, serie A 47 pts (48:15), CL 11 pts (7:5), Supercoppa 0 pts (2:3), TOTAL 58 pts (57:23)
2018/19 Allegri, serie A 53 pts (38:11), CL 12 pts (9:4), Supercoppa 3 pts (1:0), TOTAL 68 pts (48:15)
2019/20 Sarri, serie A 48 pts (37:18), CL 16 pts (12:4), Supercoppa 0 pts (1:3), TOTAL 64 pts (50:25)

Take these stats however you want, but points wise we're having a pretty normal season for our standards and not much has changed with Sarri. This is our 3rd (shared with 16/17) best half season in serie A in the last 9 seasons and our best group stage in CL. In total, this is our second best half season.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
If Allegri said something like this about subbing Dybala, the whole forum would be in meltdown about Max alienating Paulo, forcing him to ask for a transfer, and losing the locker room. lol

The forum did this anyways every time Max subbed Dybala and he looked unhappy. Max didn't have to tell the press he didn't give a shit.
The best thing he said in that whole interview is saying he doesnt give a damn, and he explained its natural for players to be unhappy when subbed. Meaning its trivial thing. Its key to make clear stuff like this is minor and part of the game. Otherwise media will make big drama about it when moody players have hissy fits. It's the coaches job to make subs and players have to accept it. There is nothing more to it. It's good if a coach deals with it in matter fact way instead of directly conflict heavy drama.

The only thing Allegri deserved critique on was not the subs, but lacking the authority that lead to players openly defying him both with Milan and Juve.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
His post match quotes are not bad to be honest. I agree with basically everything. I don't agree with subbing Dybala but his response is not that bad. Of course the player will be mad.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The best thing he said in that whole interview is saying he doesnt give a damn, and he explained its natural for players to be unhappy when subbed. Meaning its trivial thing. Its key to make clear stuff like this is minor and part of the game. Otherwise media will make big drama about it when moody players have hissy fits. It's the coaches job to make subs and players have to accept it. There is nothing more to it. It's good if a coach deals with it in matter fact way instead of directly conflict heavy drama.

The only thing Allegri deserved critique on was not the subs, but lacking the authority that lead to players openly defying him both with Milan and Juve.
Oh I agree. Just find the different Tuz reaction funny.

Allegri actually said the same once. Said he preferred if players were unhappy to be subbed. Caused a meltdown here.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The bottom line is.
Coaches can't change Juve's mentality.
Juve changes the mentality of coaches.
Hardly surprising since we have a lot of Champions in the team.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
That is true but it's his job to drill in his ideas to them, he has to make them buy into it fully, not half assed. Right now we arent attacking enough like how he usually plays (hopefully improves next season with better midfielders, or explosive players like Costa stayed healthy), but still vulnerable defensively then previous seasons because his style of play is risky due to constant short passing in dangerous areas.

So we need to get more of the advantages to his approach and not just mainly the drawbacks. The results are there, and the possession game is clearly better, but not in attacking way, but more pragmatic and cautious way. Which is half assing it.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
2011/12 Conte, serie A 41 pts (31:12), no CL, no Supercoppa
2012/13 Conte, serie A 44 pts (40:13), CL 12 pts (12:4), Supercoppa 3 pts (4:2), TOTAL 59 pts (56:19)
2013/14 Conte, serie A 52 pts (46:12), CL 6 pts (9:9), Supercoppa 3 pts (4:0), TOTAL 61 pts (59:21)
2014/15 Allegri, serie A 46 pts (42:9), CL 10 pts (7:4), Supercoppa 1 pt (2:2), TOTAL 57 pts (51:15)
2015/16 Allegri, serie A 39 pts (33:15), CL 11 pts (6:3), Supercoppa 3 pts (2:0), TOTAL 53 pts (41:18)
2016/17 Allegri, serie A 48 pts (41:14), CL 14 pts (11:2), Supercoppa 1 pt (1:1), TOTAL 63 pts (53:17)
2017/18 Allegri, serie A 47 pts (48:15), CL 11 pts (7:5), Supercoppa 0 pts (2:3), TOTAL 58 pts (57:23)
2018/19 Allegri, serie A 53 pts (38:11), CL 12 pts (9:4), Supercoppa 3 pts (1:0), TOTAL 68 pts (48:15)
2019/20 Sarri, serie A 48 pts (37:18), CL 16 pts (12:4), Supercoppa 0 pts (1:3), TOTAL 64 pts (50:25)

Take these stats however you want, but points wise we're having a pretty normal season for our standards and not much has changed with Sarri. This is our 3rd (shared with 16/17) best half season in serie A in the last 9 seasons and our best group stage in CL. In total, this is our second best half season.
Yeah. I think the worry is more that we're squeaking by in matches worse than any season other than 15-16 when we were still recovering from the worst 10 game start in the history of the club.

25 goal differential after 25 matches would usually have us on far less points, and we're getting lucky to win quite often. Our average goal differential under Max at this point was 32.4 goals. Add the two CL seasons under Conte and that rises to 33.9 goal differential. It'd be nice to see us not struggling in 90% of our matches.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Oh I agree. Just find the different Tuz reaction funny.

Allegri actually said the same once. Said he preferred if players were unhappy to be subbed. Caused a meltdown here.
Then whoever reacted like that are idiots around here.
I can disagree with particular subs, but I fully understand they have to make subs at their whims, it's their job. Any player having childish tantrum about can zip it. And cool off in the bench.

The problem with Allegri wasnt the subs, probably player relations, because both in Milan and us there was a streak of players questioning him openly. It wasnt a good sign, and had little to do with the actual subs.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
This was a very tricky game especially with the added pressure of having to capitalize on inter dropping points, I'm glad we got it done regardless of style, so credit to sarri
yeah, happy that we didn't lose the scudetto in a hotel

anyway, just a random thought: it happened the first time since forever that the olimpico was used for 2 games in as many days. then there's those two acl injuries with both happening in ordinary situations. just like with pjaca on that horrendous croatian pitch some years ago. was the pitch in good enough condition?

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
yeah, happy that we didn't lose the scudetto in a hotel

anyway, just a random thought: it happened the first time since forever that the olimpico was used for 2 games in as many days. then there's those two acl injuries with both happening in ordinary situations. just like with pjaca on that horrendous croatian pitch some years ago. was the pitch in good enough condition?
I had the same question. Players from both teams seemed to misplace even the simplest of passes. Something was definitely off about the pitch.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
I missed the first half but got the second. First of all when we go up by 2 goals after 10 minutes all the pressure is off Roma so they can be fearless for the rest of the match and this is what they did in the second half, their manager just said go and give it a shot and they did. Secondly, Sarri made the right changes in terms of logic. Danilo was to make us more solid with Cuadrado being able to break forward and help with defending; Higuain to hold up play and to help with chasing down whilst setting up Ronaldo but Sarri can't do much when we had great chances on the break to kill the tie but the players mess up. Higuain's disallowed goal was so tight, Ronaldo missed the easy header, lots of moments where the final ball was a bit too crap for up to capitalise. To me that was a great win.

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
I understand all the complaints about the performance but overall this is one of the few games where we are allowed a pass for grinding out an ugly, and all things considered I believe it’s a deserved unpretty win as we had the better chances (Ronaldo’s first half shot and his second half header, the disallowed goal, Higuain’s one on one with Pau; while Roma have Rabiot’s first half goal line clearance, and De ligt last gasp tackle..Dzeko hit the bar but in the same attack we conceded the penalty).

Dec 12, 2019
every time we score 2 goals in the 1st 10 minutes and do not score a 3rd goal during the 1st half - we play as bullshit. reminds me of matches with tottenham few years ago and Man U in the late 90's.i suppose that sarri tries to change the approach of how the team plays if we receive a solid advantage at an early stage, especially in the very beginning, but he is failing to succeed. obviously he is lacking authority over the team at the moment, plus yeah, i guess it's a hard job to change the approach of an ultra winning squad like this one.

De ligt was great again, Demiral was great and i cross my fingers hoping that he didn't hurt crucial ligaments, these 2 are great and should play together and keep bonucci off the pitch. and our midfield is proving to be the weakest point of the team. they don't supply our attack with chances, and they don't help support our defence enough either, as a result, a very good defence like ours suffers such a great amount of pressure from a squad with much weaker individuals than ours. probably the weakest midfield players in Juve as far as i can remember, not counting the after calcipolli period

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)