[Serie A] Lazio 0-2 JUVENTUS (April 15, 2013) (10 Viewers)

Man of the Match

• Vidal

• Barzagli

• Vucinic

• Lichtsteiner

• Marchisio

• Bonucci

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
This place is quiet. Interest gone after the bayern game i guess..
Understandable. Most are heartbroken still.

But games like the one form today are good because of exactly this kind of experimental formation to spice things up.

Conte seems to be taking things the right way and start preparing for next season.

Well its just one game and is too soon to judge but lets pray it is this way,

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Understandable. Most are heartbroken still.

But games like the one form today are good because of exactly this kind of experimental formation to spice things up.

Conte seems to be taking things the right way and start preparing for next season.

Well its just one game and is too soon to judge but lets pray it is this way,
Not judging anyone

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
I'm interested as to why Conte didn't get half as worked up in the Bayern games as he did today.

Really casual 2nd half, but good intensity in the 1st. Change in formation made us less predictable and Lazio clearly looked tired.
Also, some very nice link up play between Vuci and Marchisio. Both show they have footballing brains, take up good positions and produced enough good movement off the ball to make a 3-5-1-1 work.

Dec 24, 2012
Excellent performance by us. Can't really fault anyone, but Vidal was a star. That one time where he regained possession near our box with a tackle, then slalomed through four Lazio players... Just sensational. MOTM obviously.

Also, it's okay that some people are bummed out by the Bayern result. I was too, until I realized we can be at Bayern's level and even better in the next two years. They just started the rebuilding process sooner than us. And considering their success in the last couple years, I'm pretty optimistic we can do the same, or better.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Decent performance from Juve and some interesting stuff happening regarding the system.

Lazio's intention at the start of the game seemed to be to try and play something like a 4-2-3-1 with Hernanes putting pressure on Pirlo, and to have Mauri and Candreva asking questions of Juve in the space between the wing-backs and centre-backs.

However, with Juve playing the extra man in midfield, Lazio quickly had to ditch those ideas: Hernanes had to drop deeper to support Onazi and Ledesma against Juve's three more advanced midfielders, which left Pirlo without a direct opponent for most of the first half; Peluso stepped forward to mark Mauri, which left Asamoah free to push up the left side and not be burdened with defensive reponsibilities; and, with Lichtsteiner powering up the right and causing a problem, Lazio had to pull Candreva deeper to deal with him as Stankevicius couldn't do it alone.

So there went Lazio's attacking threat.

However, even with those adjustments, Lazio still couldn't stop Juve from opening them up pretty regularly. If their defence went narrow to try and prevent Juve's midfield runners bursting through, there was heaps of space for Juve's wing-backs. If Lazio made an effort to close down the space in wide areas, Juve were able to pick passes through the centre.

The extra man in midfield meant that Juve were still able to get some of the classic advantages associated with 3-5-2 (great presence through the middle) and that forced Lazio into surrendering the advantage that they should have had on the flanks.

Second half was a bit of a non event. Petkovic made good changes at half time (change to 3-4-1-2, with Ederson on Pirlo and generally getting Lazio on the front foot and trying to squeeze the game more) and the intensity completely disappeared from Juve's game as they were quite happy they had the lead and that Lazio couldn't hurt them.

Now, I wouldn't go overboard about the 3-5-1-1 system, as Lazio were missing half of their first choice team, but the extra man in midfield was interesting and would appear to be worthy of further consideration as an option against 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 opponents.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity, why was Hernanes taken off during HT?
Petkovic, when he plays a two-man central midfield, generally prefers to play Ledesma or Hernanes with a more mobile player (Onazi, in this case).

Not entirely sure of why Hernanes was the one subbed rather than Ledesma, though I think Hernanes is one of the few Lazio players who has really been playing continually though all their Serie A and EL game recently, so it may just have been that Ledesma was fresher.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Really good performance, I thought the formation was too defensive but fair play the marchi-vuci combo was actually pretty effective. 7 point till numero 31!!!!!!

Goodfella

Nov 11, 2012
Decent performance from Juve and some interesting stuff happening regarding the system.

Lazio's intention at the start of the game seemed to be to try and play something like a 4-2-3-1 with Hernanes putting pressure on Pirlo, and to have Mauri and Candreva asking questions of Juve in the space between the wing-backs and centre-backs.

However, with Juve playing the extra man in midfield, Lazio quickly had to ditch those ideas: Hernanes had to drop deeper to support Onazi and Ledesma against Juve's three more advanced midfielders, which left Pirlo without a direct opponent for most of the first half; Peluso stepped forward to mark Mauri, which left Asamoah free to push up the left side and not be burdened with defensive reponsibilities; and, with Lichtsteiner powering up the right and causing a problem, Lazio had to pull Candreva deeper to deal with him as Stankevicius couldn't do it alone.

So there went Lazio's attacking threat.

However, even with those adjustments, Lazio still couldn't stop Juve from opening them up pretty regularly. If their defence went narrow to try and prevent Juve's midfield runners bursting through, there was heaps of space for Juve's wing-backs. If Lazio made an effort to close down the space in wide areas, Juve were able to pick passes through the centre.

The extra man in midfield meant that Juve were still able to get some of the classic advantages associated with 3-5-2 (great presence through the middle) and that forced Lazio into surrendering the advantage that they should have had on the flanks.

Second half was a bit of a non event. Petkovic made good changes at half time (change to 3-4-1-2, with Ederson on Pirlo and generally getting Lazio on the front foot and trying to squeeze the game more) and the intensity completely disappeared from Juve's game as they were quite happy they had the lead and that Lazio couldn't hurt them.

Now, I wouldn't go overboard about the 3-5-1-1 system, as Lazio were missing half of their first choice team, but the extra man in midfield was interesting and would appear to be worthy of further consideration as an option against 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 opponents.
Excellent analysis, Red.

I totally agree.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I've just watched the highlights and Lazio actually had a few very good chances. Stankevicius, Kozak and Klose should all have done much better in front of goal. Juve were totally in control of the first half, but on another day it could've been a backs to the wall win for Lazio.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
i dont like this formation.

it forces pogba out wide wiich doesnt suit him

also marchsisio and vucinic arent good enough to play against good teams like this.

maybe with better players it could work

frick

Apr 4, 2010
...Juve playing the extra man in midfield...
Claudio didn't play as a midfielder for me, he only drop deep when there were holes left in the mid area but even those were rare. Quag and Matri usually put more aggressive pressings (particularly the latter).

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Claudio didn't play as a midfielder for me, he only drop deep when there were holes left in the mid area but even those were rare. Quag and Matri usually put more aggressive pressings (particularly the latter).
It wasn't really about pressing.

The key was, as you mention, the dropping deep when there were gaps.

That allowed Pogba or Vidal to go wide and support the wing-back without fear of leaving Juve light in the centre of the pitch.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
I can agree with that but an extra midfielder is a bit overstatement, implying that Juve played another midfielder when it's really not most of the time. :)

Just like Leo who in rare occasions would took the ball much higher up to the pitch, that doesn't mean he's an extra midfielder (although in a sense he's vice-Pirlo on the pitch).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)