[SERIE A] JUVENTUS vs Torino (10/25/08) (21 Viewers)

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
I don't think Momo was that great today...he really backed off after the yellow card and became a little pedestrian today...the hard-charging Momo was not there today, as I guess he was worried about getting another sending off

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I don't think Momo was that great today...he really backed off after the yellow card and became a little pedestrian today...the hard-charging Momo was not there today, as I guess he was worried about getting another sending off
I think he was great. Some bad passing, but still blocked their entire midfield down.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I agree. I was not impressed. He covered a lot of ground and started the game well, but mixed with a few horrible passes and really faded towards the end, apart from one tackle.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I was originally going to give him a 7, but backed off a little. I think that he did have to worry about an ejection (memories of Palermo still fresh in his mind). Even so, he did give us coverage at both ends of the pitch and ensured that Torino always had an uphill battle. That much was clear throughout the match, enabling Juve to really have the edge throughout this whole match. And for that, I think he played a crucial role.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I agree. I was not impressed. He covered a lot of ground and started the game well, but mixed with a few horrible passes and really faded towards the end, apart from one tackle.
Not everything is about tackles. The way he marks two midfielders at the same time is anything but easy. The way he returns back and ruins their counter attacks is also anything but easy to do. If there's a reason why Torino's midfield was off today it's because of him.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Not everything is about tackles. The way he marks two midfielders at the same time is anything but easy. The way he returns back and ruins their counter attacks is also anything but easy to do. If there's a reason why Torino's midfield was off today it's because of him.
Rab and I definitely see eye-to-eye on this one...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Ranieri made it clear today that he really is deranged. He started De Ceglie at left-wing and Molinaro at left-back. Torino was putting 10 men behind the ball practically at all times during the first half, but they inept at shutting us down, which must have been scary for their manager. They allowed our central midfielders a lot of space, but Momo doesn't have the ability to do much with the ball apart from making terrible passes. After the break and the amazing individual effort by Amauri, Granata started to get more of the ball and took the game to us, causing some scary moments via crosses from the wing and chances from Abbruscatto and Rosina.

So what does Ranieri do? He subs off De Ceglie at 1-0 up for Giovinco, thus essentially contradicting his whole ploy at the beginning of the match to make sure the flank was secure defensively. Ranieri threw on Giovinco knowing that Torino would be pressing for the equalizing goal and we wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of possession we had prior to the Amauri stunner. Does this make any sense whatsoever? Knowing that we do not score much as it is, shouldn't we try to defend the lead? Wouldn't the plausible thing to do would be start with a more attacking formation via including Giovinco, thus allowing him to create against a team you knew would sit back, then tighten up the team by putting on a defensive winger? Everybody knows we have trouble scoring, so why start with a more defense-oriented formation only to end up bringing on such a weapon when we were trying to defend the lead? These decisions just don't make any sense. And yes, Ranieri is deranged.

But I'm certainly glad for the win and pleased to see that the team as a whole has improved. But we still have problems on our hands, including something so simple as completing passes.

Manninger - Was solid as usual. Very confident back there. 6.5

Grygera - Okay but wasn't tested much since we had more the ball. 5.5

Legrottaglie - Massive game for him, saved us on two occasions that would have been goals. 7

Chiellini - Decent game. 6.5

Molinaro - Better than usual but was shaky when Abate ran at it him a couple times. 6

Marchionni - Practically useless. 4.5

Sissoko - Great defensively but his passing was a nightmare. 5.5

Nedved - Did a good job but his movements while deep in midfield show that he's not a central midfielder. 6

De Ceglie - Good job coming back but didn't add much in that role. 5.5

Amauri - Beast of a player and won the game for us. 7

Del Piero - Off game 6

Mellberg - Did well I suppose. 6

Giovinco - Didn't see much of the ball because we didn't have as much of it. Not his fault. - 5.5

Iaquinta - N.A.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
but you saw today that he is not our saviour ... he did defend, which was nice, but he did not create chances against a team like torino

the ones that wanted him against real should now see, that he would have been wasted there... he still needs to get into the team
Come on....The guy just played for less than 20 minutes, he definately can't show everything in those few minutes.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I know not everything is about tackles. The "covering of a lot of ground" implies his marking as well. As I wrote in my ratings, he was too one -dimensional. Sissoko's possesion play got worse as the match wore on. He can't playing controllingly. Sissoko's is at his best, when we do (or rather he does) not need to control the flow of the game.

For similar reasons, I think Nedved is probably not at his best as holding midfielder. He has the quality, but he prefers to play directly towards the goal instead of maintaining the midfields equilibrium (something Zanetti is brilliant at).

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Ranieri made it clear today that he really is deranged. He started De Ceglie at left-wing and Molinaro at left-back. Torino was putting 10 men behind the ball practically at all times during the first half, but they inept at shutting us down, which must have been scary for their manager. They allowed our central midfielders a lot of space, but Momo doesn't have the ability to do much with the ball apart from making terrible passes. After the break and the amazing individual effort by Amauri, Granata started to get more of the ball and took the game to us, causing some scary moments via crosses from the wing and chances from Abbruscatto and Rosina.

So what does Ranieri do? He subs off De Ceglie at 1-0 up for Giovinco, thus essentially contradicting his whole ploy at the beginning of the match to make sure the flank was secure defensively. Ranieri threw on Giovinco knowing that Torino would be pressing for the equalizing goal and we wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of possession we had prior to the Amauri stunner. Does this make any sense whatsoever? Knowing that we do not score much as it is, shouldn't we try to defend the lead? Wouldn't the plausible thing to do would be start with a more attacking formation via including Giovinco, thus allowing him to create against a team you knew would sit back, then tighten up the team by putting on a defensive winger? Everybody knows we have trouble scoring, so why start with a more defense-oriented formation only to end up bringing on such a weapon when we were trying to defend the lead? These decisions just don't make any sense. And yes, Ranieri is deranged.

But I'm certainly glad for the win and pleased to see that the team as a whole has improved. But we still have problems on our hands, including something so simple as completing passes.

I pretty much agree with that.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

Manninger - Was solid as usual. Very confident back there. 6.5

Grygera - Okay but wasn't tested much since we had more the ball. 5.5

Legrottaglie - Massive game for him, saved us on two occasions that would have been goals. 7

Chiellini - Decent game. 6.5

Molinaro - Better than usual but was shaky when Abate ran at it him a couple times. 6

Marchionni - Practically useless. 4.5

Sissoko - Great defensively but his passing was a nightmare. 5.5

Nedved - Did a good job but his movements while deep in midfield show that he's not a central midfielder. 6

De Ceglie - Good job coming back but didn't add much in that role. 5.5

Amauri - Beast of a player and won the game for us. 7

Del Piero - Off game 6

Mellberg - Did well I suppose. 6

Giovinco - Didn't see much of the ball because we didn't have as much of it. Not his fault. - 5.5

Iaquinta - N.A.
Good report, I agree with your assesment. Our ratings are quite similar as well. :xmas:

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
There was a bizarre moment at half-time. Hasan Salihamidzic was meant to replace the injured Zdenek Grygera, but the former Bayern man also picked up a muscular problem during the warm-up, so Olof Mellberg took the right-back slot instead.

channel4

:wallbang:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I have to disagree with Andy's assessment that we had to hunker down and defend the lead once 1-0 up. For one, that got us in trouble in the past enough times as it is. For another, we lacked the bench to make us feel any more secure on the left wing.

Not that I'm looking for reasons to pardon Ranieri from immediate dismissal, but I thought it was a rather rational substitution given the game situation and the resources at hand.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
I have to disagree with Andy's assessment that we had to hunker down and defend the lead once 1-0 up. For one, that got us in trouble in the past enough times as it is. For another, we lacked the bench to make us feel any more secure on the left wing.

Not that I'm looking for reasons to pardon Ranieri from immediate dismissal, but I thought it was a rather rational substitution given the game situation and the resources at hand.
:agree: we've already gotten in trouble doing that before, atleast this time Seba made some good runs and gave the Torino defence a few headaches

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Maybe so, but then again we don't score often. One or two goals is the max for us. So the most logical thing to do would be start Giovinco against a side you knew would sit back, terrorize them, and try to get that second goal. Then we could have brought on Brazzo who could do just as much as DC today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)