SERIE A: Juventus - Udinese (6 Viewers)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
:star::star: JUVENTUS - UDINESE :star::star:

Delle Alpi Stadium. Sunday November 09, 2003. 15.00 CET

After ensuring qualification to the next round of the Champions League, Juve gets back to business in Serie A – entertaining the other Bianconeri side from Udine here in the Delle Alpi in which all eyes will be on Alex Del Piero, making his comeback here in his crib after a 7-week injury lay-off.

Juve will have the easiest of games – at least on paper – compared to their direct Scudetto rivals as exhausted Milan travel to the Stadio Tardini to face an Adriano-less Parma fresh from their 4-0 heroics in the UEFA Cup whereas Roma get engaged in the ‘Derby della capitale’ against their eternal rivals, Lazio.

Tactical-Setup

Under Tuscan coach Luciano Spalletti, the Friuli outfit plays with the (3-4-1-2) formation which was converted from (3-4-2-1) due to Pizarro’s injury. The defence is led by Argentine veteran Nestor Sensini, supported by Bertotto and Kroldrup. In midfield, the central pairing consists of the young attacking midfielder Pazienza and the more defensive Pinzi. Left wing is occupied by Juve-bound Jankulovski while the right side is reserved for ex-Laziale, Castroman. Playmaking duties are assigned to the creative Jorgensen, who plays behind the tall Iaquinta and the deadly (hat-trick hero) Fava.

For Juve, defence was the key to last season’s success but this time the team is playing with a more attacking mentality without overlooking the defensive duties and this has left the team decently balanced. That’s why we could see Del Piero, Trezeguet, Nedved, and Miccoli all playing at the same time.

Lippi is toying with the idea of playing with (4-2-3-1) with Del Piero-Nedved-Miccoli behind Trezeguet (who was lucky to escape an elbow punishment). Defensive duo Appiah and Tacchi play further behind. Whereas the defensive line welcomes back Thuram, Legro, Montero, and Zambro.

This tactic could prove a major hit in this match as Udinese play with only 3 men behind and that would give many a spaces for Del Piero on the left and Miccoli on the right. Nedved could search for any gaps deep inside and try shots from outside the box himself.

A lot of ink will be devoted to the return of Alex in the Italian newspapers for the build-up of this match. Even though the team has copped well without ’il capitano’, he certainly adds some dimension to the squad, especially in creating assists with perfect passes, winning fouls and converting free-kicks, and what he does best: scoring goals from relatively impossible angles.

So, will the Bianconeri bad boys be in their best behaviour and honour their captain with a win on his birthday? Will Pinturichio himself mark his comeback with a goal? Will Juve finally knock Milan off the top with a win here and go solo? All questions will be answered on Sunday afternoon.

Udinese hasn’t won yet against a ‘big team’ this season. They drew against Inter 0-0 and were defeated against the capital clubs – Lazio and Roma – both at home and with the same score line: 1-2. But will Udinese pull out their first surprise of the season against Juve? Hopefully not.

Quick Facts

• Juve met Udinese in the Delle Alpi 30 times in Serie A, with Juve winning the majority of matches (22), Udinese winning only 4, and the match ended in a draw in 4 other times.

Juve have scored a total of 74 goals against Udinese, whereas Udinese replied with 31 goals.

Juve’s largest win consists of a 4 goal margin (4-0) or (5-1) achieved 6 times the latest in the 92-93 season (5-1).

Alex Del Piero is Juve's topscorer against Udinese, with 7 goals scored.

During his career, Zambrotta scored 10 goals for Juve in all competitions - 3 of which were against Udinese.

Buy on AliExpress.com

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
Birthday boy Del Piero raring to go

“I simply cannot wait until Sunday,” he told his official website. “I am continuing to train and prepare myself, but wait impatiently for November 9.”
:cool: go alex...go alex..! i hope he'll get his hat-trick on his b-day.....:D

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
thanx for that preview fahad.. :thumb:

I think it should be an easy match against udinese... we should win this one.. my prediction.. 3-0.. trez, nedved, appiah.. I wish Dp scores.. but it really hard to tell after a long time away from the pitch..

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Just published the Soccerage one:

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/r1702.html

BACKGROUND:

Udinese pay visit to the Serie A leaders at the Delle Alpi of Turin for the 31st time on Sunday afternoon. Statistics are all in favour of Juventus who have won 22 times out of the 30 games played against the fellow bianconeri. Udinese won only 4 times while the match ended in a draw another 4 times.

The last encounter in October 2002 ended with a 1-0 win for the home side thanks to a rare goal by Marcelo Salas. Udinese's last win at the Delle Alpi arrived in November 2000 when a brace by Ruben Sosa cancelled out Alessandro Del Piero's strike. To find the last draw we must go back 13 years, exactly in March 1990 when the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

The number of goals scored is also largely in favour of the Old Lady as in 30 matches played, Juventus scored 74 goals while Udinese could only manage to bag in 31.

Juventus arrive for this encounter feeling calm and motivated after succeeding in drawing away to Milan, and therefore holding on to the top spot of Serie A, and qualifying for the next round of the Champions League thanks to another away draw, this time against Real Sociedad. That match also marked the first game of the season for the bianconeri where they did not end on the score sheet.

Udinese are winless for the past two matchdays and will therefore try to at least return back to the Friuli with a point in the bag. To make things worse for them, Pizarro is still out injured.

Another point of interest for the match is the return of Del Piero on his 29th birthday where he will be hoping to get himself a nice birthday gift through a goal.

TEAM NEWS:

JUVENTUS – No more injury worries for Marcello Lippi as Del Piero is back from injury and will most probably be in the starting line-up to celebrate his 29th birthday, preferably with a win and a goal.

UDINESE – Spalletti has Alberto, Gemiti, Goitom, Pizarro and Gargo all out through injury. The most notable absence is that of Pizarro who last summer was very close to joining Juventus. Without him, Udinese lose a lot of quality in midfield.

LINE-UPS:

JUVENTUS (4-2-3-1): Buffon; Thuram, Legrottaglie, Montero, Zambrotta; Appiah, Tacchinardi; Miccoli, Nedved, Del Piero; Trezeguet

UDINESE (3-5-2): De Sanctis; Bertotto, Sensini, Kroldrup; Castroman, Pinzi, Jankulovski, Jorgensen, Manfredini; Iaquinta, Fava

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Del Piero (Juventus): His return will be an extra motivation for the team and for himself, where he can continue where he left-off before the injury.

Fava (Udinese): Last season's Serie B top-scorer has been doing very well in his first season in Serie A. This match might be very important for him to show what he's really worth.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Here's my preview:

All things being equal, Juve should beat Udinese like a red-headed stepchild.

No offense to any redheads, or step-children or [GASP] a combination of the two.

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #51
    Great work with the previews, Fahad and Glenn :)

PS. The latest news is that Camoranesi will be in the starting line-up for this game, with Miccoli being relegated to the bench.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
    Apr 19, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++
    Great work with the previews, Fahad and Glenn :)

PS. The latest news is that Camoranesi will be in the starting line-up for this game, with Miccoli being relegated to the bench.
    I think it is a good choice.He wasn't in Spain he had good rest and be fully ready.;)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by USA Juventini ] ++
    Yeah, Glen.

Good job copying that article from another Web Site.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    First of all it's Glenn not Glen ;)

Secondly I wrote that article on that web site ;)

Thanks to all :D

OP
    Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #55
    ++ [ originally posted by Roman ] ++

I think it is a good choice.He wasn't in Spain he had good rest and be fully ready.;)
    Yeah, I think it's a good choice as well. Camoranesi gives us more balance and as you said is fresher than Miccoli.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Yeah I was kinda surprised that Lippi was going to play immediately 4-2-3-1 as I don't think DP has the strength in his legs yet to help the midfield and we would be outnumbered against the 5 men midfield of Udinese.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Of course anything but a win here is a complete failure. We need to get our regular defence back, as neither Birindelli or Pessotto impressed me against Sociedad. When I think about Ferrara and Iuliano didn't impress either, we need some new defenders...

I don't think DP should start, Camo should. Would be nice if we could somehow start Nedved on the bench, he will get tired sooner or later. Maresca could help replace him, but he should only play if he's fully fit.

Lippi has a lot of choices to make before the matches, I'm really wondering who he will pick. I think we will win regardless of who he chooses.

kharbana

Jul 7, 2003
    Udinese is not a easy team....

Players like: Kroldrup; Castroman, Jankulovski, Jorgensen, Manfredini; Iaquinta, Fava and Perrota are really good .....

But of course Juve is better than them...so will be win this match..

I think 2-1 doppieta of Alex and Fava...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++

First of all it's Glenn not Glen ;)

Secondly I wrote that article on that web site ;)

Thanks to all :D

Oops, my bad.

With that being said.

I apologize, and good article!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)