[Serie A] Juventus - Reggina (71 Viewers)

Sep 2, 2004
Capello: Del Piero is back Saturday 19 March, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero was refreshingly honest in his post-match comments and Fabio Capello claimed he was back to his best at last.

“To say our first half was below par would be an understatement,” said the captain after his lone strike beat Reggina. “It was understandable considering the tour de force we’ve been through between Europe and Serie A of late, but we changed our approach in the second half. We realised the opening performance was poor and that we had another 45 minutes to change that.”

There are reports that Del Piero will be dropped from the Italy squad set to face Scotland next week, though this performance might have done enough to convince Marcello Lippi otherwise.

“I have to think about doing well for Juventus, then anything else comes as a result of that. Of course, if I don’t receive the Azzurri call then it’ll be a problem, but I’ll live.”

Fabio Capello was also full of praise for the captain, who earned himself a Man of the Match award for his performance in Turin.

“Del Piero is improving with every game and after the goal we saw the kind of player that earned praise from the world over in his glory days,” said the Coach who has often substituted the star this season.

The statistics certainly back his supporters, as Del Piero is officially the most decisive player in Serie A, as his goals have proven crucial in earning eight wins for the Bianconeri.

“Let us say that we allowed Reggina to play in the first half as we weren’t putting any pressure on them. Gigi Buffon was fantastic in goal to make sure we didn’t pay for those errors. I think that when you are between big games, these so called little ones are the more dangerous.”

The Bianconeri were expected to run riot over Reggina after beating Roma and Real Madrid over the last week, but it proved to be quite a struggle.

“It was another Juventus after the break. This is why football should introduce a time-out! Reggina were playing with one forward and the other ten behind the ball, so I thought we needed two heavy hitters upfront plus Del Piero in support to help break them down. Hitting the crossbar certainly shook the team up and showed them what they could achieve if they tried a little bit harder.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has again shown that his finishing leaves something to be desired, but his inspired back-heel set up Del Piero for the winning goal.

“Ibrahimovic has these moments of sheer genius and he knew exactly what he wanted to do at that moment in time.”

Capello refused to comment on the Champions’ League quarter-final, as Juventus have been drawn against Liverpool.

“Before facing Liverpool we’ll have to take on Fiorentina, so we won’t rush into discussing tactics for them,” insisted the Coach.

Reggina boss Walter Mazzarri was angry at his fifth defeat in six games.

"After the 90 minutes we deserved a draw at the very least and I believe that Reggina were having the better of the play when the goal was scored," he insisted.

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ibrahimovic9 ] ++
Capello: Del Piero is back Saturday 19 March, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alessandro Del Piero was refreshingly honest in his post-match comments and Fabio Capello claimed he was back to his best at last.

“To say our first half was below par would be an understatement,” said the captain after his lone strike beat Reggina. “It was understandable considering the tour de force we’ve been through between Europe and Serie A of late, but we changed our approach in the second half. We realised the opening performance was poor and that we had another 45 minutes to change that.”

There are reports that Del Piero will be dropped from the Italy squad set to face Scotland next week, though this performance might have done enough to convince Marcello Lippi otherwise.

“I have to think about doing well for Juventus, then anything else comes as a result of that. Of course, if I don’t receive the Azzurri call then it’ll be a problem, but I’ll live.”

Fabio Capello was also full of praise for the captain, who earned himself a Man of the Match award for his performance in Turin.

“Del Piero is improving with every game and after the goal we saw the kind of player that earned praise from the world over in his glory days,” said the Coach who has often substituted the star this season.

The statistics certainly back his supporters, as Del Piero is officially the most decisive player in Serie A, as his goals have proven crucial in earning eight wins for the Bianconeri.

“Let us say that we allowed Reggina to play in the first half as we weren’t putting any pressure on them. Gigi Buffon was fantastic in goal to make sure we didn’t pay for those errors. I think that when you are between big games, these so called little ones are the more dangerous.”

The Bianconeri were expected to run riot over Reggina after beating Roma and Real Madrid over the last week, but it proved to be quite a struggle.

“It was another Juventus after the break. This is why football should introduce a time-out! Reggina were playing with one forward and the other ten behind the ball, so I thought we needed two heavy hitters upfront plus Del Piero in support to help break them down. Hitting the crossbar certainly shook the team up and showed them what they could achieve if they tried a little bit harder.”

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has again shown that his finishing leaves something to be desired, but his inspired back-heel set up Del Piero for the winning goal.

“Ibrahimovic has these moments of sheer genius and he knew exactly what he wanted to do at that moment in time.”

Capello refused to comment on the Champions’ League quarter-final, as Juventus have been drawn against Liverpool.

“Before facing Liverpool we’ll have to take on Fiorentina, so we won’t rush into discussing tactics for them,” insisted the Coach.

Reggina boss Walter Mazzarri was angry at his fifth defeat in six games.

"After the 90 minutes we deserved a draw at the very least and I believe that Reggina were having the better of the play when the goal was scored," he insisted.

difuz

Sep 23, 2004
nice to hear that del piero is getting more and more in form.. that assist from zlatan was awesome aswell..

ratings anyone?!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Buffon - Made three good saves on Borriello. 6.5

Zebina - Didn't really instill confidence at the back but looked pretty good going forward. 6

Thuram - Solid. 6.5

Cannavaro - Solid. 6.5

Zambrotta - He's had better games. Wasn't very good at either end of the pitch. 5

Camoranesi - Not as involved as he usually is. His only notable contribution was an excellent cross for the Zlatan header that hit the bar. 5.5

Emerson - Reliable as usual. Carries out his defensive duties without problems and keeps things simple when going forward. 6.5

Blasi - No offence to the guy but I don't think he should be starting for a club like Juventus. He works exceptionally hard and has his uses but he's very poor on the ball. Tacchinardi will have to do the job for now but we need to sign someone with more ability to partner Emerson next season. Manuele gave away the ball a lot tonight and Reggina nearly made us pay through Borriello's header. Doesn't contribute to the attack. 4.5

Del Piero - Was poor in the first half but really excelled after the break. He had a lovely shot that hit the bar, scored the game winning goal, and skinned the crap out of a number of Reggina defenders. He's just such a talented player and showed us how brilliant he can be when his confidence is up. In the last four or five games he has been taking on defenders and beating them with ease which is nice to see. 7

Zalayeta - Quiet throughout. 5

Ibrahimovic - Played well. Unlucky not to score, holds onto the ball well, classy backheel to set up Del Piero who he seems to be forming a good understanding with. Just keep plugging away, the goals will come. 6.5

Tacchinardi - Looked good in midfield. A lot more comfortable than Blasi. 6

Pessotto - Did well while he was on the field. 6

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by isha00 ] ++
I've watched the celebration again... and I noticed that Ferrara and Montero were almost as happy as him :touched:
Graham said this a while back and he's so right: Del Piero's goal celebrations are similar to those of a young child whose emotions just explode :D He's brilliant to watch.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by olkiller ] ++
Oh my, not this again. His overall performances this season have left something to be desired. :wallbang:

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Oh my, not this again. His overall performances this season have left something to be desired. :wallbang:
Not really. You can say this about Nedved, Trezeguet and Zlatan aswell. Del Piero has been good this season. After the winterbreak he has been really great.

BTW, When Del Piero scores, it feels 100times better than when anyone else in Juventus scores (no offence) :cool:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by David Del Piero ] ++

Not really. You can say this about Nedved, Trezeguet and Zlatan aswell. Del Piero has been good this season. After the winterbreak he has been really great.
Indeed, after the winterbreak he has been good. However, before the winterbreak, he was rather disapointing. It's not like has lit the Serie A on fire this season.

You seem to have a selective memory.

PeeMaN

Apr 4, 2004
great to see another win, and what a goal by DP-ZLATAN!
It's been a while since the last zlatan-goal now, but he's giving a lot of assists. Seems like he's become a real team-player!:)

olkiller

Sep 9, 2002
Juventus (4-3-3): Buffon 6.5; Zebina 6, Thuram 7, Cannavaro 7, Zambrotta 6; Camoranesi 6, Blasi 5.5 (1' st Tacchinardi 6), Emerson 6.5; Ibrahimovic 7, Del Piero 7.5, Zalayeta 6

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

He hasn't been amazing but I think he's having a good season. A month and a half ago there was no doubt that Zlatan was our best forward but Alex is giving him a good run for his money. He's scoring goals as well as getting involved in the build up and creating for others.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
My ratings on the night:

Buffon 6.5
Zebina 6
Thuram 7
Cannavaro 6.5
Zambrotta 5.5
Camoranesi 6
Emerson 6.5
Blasi 4
Tacchinardi 6
Zalayeta 5.5
Ibrahimovic 6.5
Del Piero 6.5

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by olkiller ] ++
Juventus (4-3-3): Buffon 6.5; Zebina 6, Thuram 7, Cannavaro 7, Zambrotta 6; Camoranesi 6, Blasi 5.5 (1' st Tacchinardi 6), Emerson 6.5; Ibrahimovic 7, Del Piero 7.5, Zalayeta 6
Source?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

He hasn't been amazing but I think he's having a good season. A month and a half ago there was no doubt that Zlatan was our best forward but Alex is giving him a good run for his money. He's scoring goals as well as getting involved in the build up and creating for others.
Del Piero has been good, but not great. He earns the title "most decisive player in Serie A" from the use of statistics. I just don't want people to get the wrong impression from this terminology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 71)