[Serie A] JUVENTUS 4-0 Udinese (January 19, 2013) (38 Viewers)

MoM

• Caceres

• Pogba

• Vucinic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You put unnecessary emphasis on the out-number issue. It only counts if the opposition is passing around a lot but even in those situations the most important things are the accuracy of the guy on the ball and the guy against him. Regardless of the number of opponents the attack depends on the one ball, equal numbers don't mean shit if the key defender fucks up.
You don't think being out-numbered matters when defending a counter-attack?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
So what do you do if, as happened to Juve against Udinese, all your defenders are marking a player, then you have an Udinese player running forwards with the ball unchallenged?

Does one of the defenders leave the man they are marking to go and confront him?

Do they all continue to mark and allow the player to continue to run unchallenged?

Either way, the defending team can't consider themselves in control of the situation in the way they could if they weren't outnumbered.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
So what do you do if, as happened to Juve against Udinese, all your defenders are marking a player, then you have an Udinese player running forwards with the ball unchallenged?

Does one of the defenders leave the man they are marking to go and confront him?

Do they all continue to mark and allow the player to continue to run unchallenged?

Either way, the defending team can't consider themselves in control of the situation in the way they could if they weren't outnumbered.
A good defender is in control of every situation. So he tackles the ball, if this is not possible then he is obviously not very good.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
You leave the guy least likely to get the pass and mark the ones in more dangerous positions, usually that's the guy furthest away from the ball is left alone, or play somebody offside, or foul somebody to delay; there are plenty of ways to deal with it. Outnumbered is a disadvantage no doubt but not something that can't be dealt with good defenders. To me it's not a big deal.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It's a wonder every coach doesn't play like Zeman, then, if defenders should be able to handle being outnumbered.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
A good defender is in control of every situation. So he tackles the ball, if this is not possible then he is obviously not very good.
A good coach can turn average defenders into a goddamn good backline, with strict tactical directions for keeping the play small, efficient marking, and backup marking, disrupting opposing build up play if he study'd their playstyle well.

However, place the same defenders, in a very open space with a greater number of attackers running at you, its goddamn hard, knowing how to controll space, be aware of the positional situation, and then anticipate, is by far the hardest ability to master for a defender.

Chiellini, is incredibly good at it, so was tiago silva.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Zeman doesn't get that there is a time and place for everything, and Zeman don't really have top defenders with him (I don't know how good his defenders were in the past). Being outnumbered isn't recommended against top of the table teams, but against shit teams with shit attacks who are difficult to break down, I prefer open games where the quality of the attackers decide the game, it's more probable that the big club wins imo.

We have very good defenders and not the best strikers, so I think we should take chances that our defenders will come good.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
A good coach can turn average defenders into a goddamn good backline, with strict tactical directions for keeping the play small, efficient marking, and backup marking, disrupting opposing build up play if he study'd their playstyle well.

However, place the same defenders, in a very open space with a greater number of attackers running at you, its goddamn hard, knowing how to controll space, be aware of the positional situation, and then anticipate, is by far the hardest ability to master for a defender.

Chiellini, is incredibly good at it, so was tiago silva.
My post wasn't serious.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
there is a time and place for everything
Of course, and my issue is that Juve are getting themselves into these situations when they are ahead and don't need to go chasing another goal.

I'm not criticising a team for taking reasonable gambles when they need to force things to try and get a goal.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
but against $#@! teams with $#@! attacks who are difficult to break down, I prefer open games where the quality of the attackers decide the game, it's more probable that the big club wins imo.
yeah, because we can brush away those shitty teams as easily as the top teams that at least try to attack us. your argumentative points leave a lot to be desired.
we off all top teams can neither rely on our top quality striker department to make the difference, because history has profen cronios right time and time again, that our opponents strikers scored with a half chance, while our strikers can not bury the goal from 3 to 5 chances.

you seem to be gambler, if you fancy the chances of probability of winning with your gung-ho approach in favor of a more secure "possession-first approach". you have to always remeber that every second the ball is in our possession the opponent is not able to score while we have a chance of scoring (regardless of how high the chance is). so if you would be a gambler you would tell the team to keep possession regardless what, will lead to a very high chance of winning.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
nejˈmaɾ ˈjɾ;4011259 said:
Only thing that worried me bout last nights game was the frustrated faces on our players faces when a miss placed pass or wrong decision was made. They at times were moaning at one another. Something we haven't been used to.
Noticed a bit of that as well. But I don't think it's anything to worry about just yet.

Buffon 6
Caceres 7
Bonucci 6,5
Barzagli 6,5
Lichtsteiner 6
De Ceglie 6,5
Vidal 6
Pogba 7,5
Giaccherini 6,5
Giovinco 5,5
Vucinic 6,5

Matri 6
Padion -
Isla -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)