[Serie A] JUVENTUS 3-1 Catania (Feb. 18th 2012) (6 Viewers)

Man of the match was?

• Buffon

• Barzagli

• De Ceglie

• Pirlo

• Giaccherini

• Quag

Results are only viewable after voting.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Making subs isn't the recipe to winning matches in EVERY circumstance. That's my stance on this.
Of course, but coaches do win matches and points from subs.

10 draws, I don't remember Conte trying in any of them winning the game. In any of these 10draws did he field 3strikers? No.

Some of you think being undefeated so far with 10draws is an achievement itself. It's HORRIBLE and a DISASTER.

10 draws = 10 points.

We could have at least made it better (had we won half of them at least), like

5wins 5 loses = 15points. That's 5points difference.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fellas

Farsopoli
Jun 13, 2005
When you have these players at hand and they are known to miss chances then you have to adapt. Why did we score more goals when we were playing the 4-3-3?
As long as we create chances, if we miss them it's not because of the formation. More of the players finishing ability, but sure I can agree that 4-3-3 suits us better. But the main problem IMO are that we need better attackers. But until the summer we should stick to 4-3-3, and then fix the problems in the summer mercato

Sarunas

Jul 24, 2009
The formation building is still in the process. You win the Matri battle. On the other hand, these small teams are afraid of us again and that's why they park the bus. It was not the case last two seasons since they knew they could attack and grab points by doing it. Now, the only chance left for them is to defend.

The beginning of the season was pretty much the same, apart from Parma game. Playing 4-3-3 still caused the same defence unlocking problems. The question is if it was more useful than 3-5-2 but undoubtedly it was still not effective. I hope Conte is not stubborn and he just tries to find out the key to score more goals against small teams. So far, 3-5-2 proved to be worse than 4-3-3. Other than that, we saw mixed forward line up in 4-3-3, but as far as I remember, we only used Estigarribia and Lichsteiner for the wings in 3-5-2?

What I want to prove is that it is a smart decision to have two fully working formations. And I still consider this season to be kind of the building and looking where the main problems are. If noticed and solved, the next season could be very successful.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Of course, but coaches do win matches and points from subs.

10 draws, I don't remember Conte trying in any of them winning the game. In any of these 10draws did he field 3strikers? No.
I would suggest that is because Juve have been doing well and creating chances in most games, just failing to take the chances.

There's more need for subs when the team isn't in control and chances aren't being created.

There haven't been many occasions I've been watching Juve this season, looked at the bench and though, "Sub X - he's the man to make the difference and win this game."

If Juve were creating chances and had a great poacher/finisher on the bench it would be a different matter.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I would suggest that is because Juve have been doing well and creating chances in most games, just failing to take the chances.

There haven't been many occasions I've been watching Juve this season, looked at the bench and though, "Sub X - he's the man to make the difference and win this game."
And when your players are failing to score you keep them on the pitch? What's the point creating if you're not finishing them? And what's the point having bench players if you don't trust them replacing the ones failing to score?

Mourinho's Inter had weaker bench than ours yet I still remember how he would field 4strikers at times and he did turn-over the games several times. I can give plenty of other examples with different coaches and weaker bench players.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Conte has done fantastic, I would have been really happy with top 3. But when you do have a chance to win the leauge, you should not make to many wrong moves. And that he is doing with the 3-5-2 IMO and some stupid subs (playing Boriello insted of Del Piero etc.) We finally have a very good chance at winning the Scudetto. Milan have CL and so many players out. Inter have Ranieri and are done. Napoli are using the energy in CL. Roma are going up and down every round. Udinese will not be there in the last run with Isla out a month and Di Natale (out for some weeks IIRC) and finally Lazio who will finish 4 or 5'th anyway.. We really got a chance on the title.. Dont blow it!
Thank you very much, that is what I have been saying all along.

As long as we create chances, if we miss them it's not because of the formation. More of the players finishing ability, but sure I can agree that 4-3-3 suits us better. But the main problem IMO are that we need better attackers. But until the summer we should stick to 4-3-3, and then fix the problems in the summer mercato
We need better attackers ONLY if we want to play 3-5-2. With the 4-3-3 we did not need better attackers, we were scoring on average two goals per game.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
And when your players are failing to score you keep them on the pitch? What's the point creating if you're not finishing them? And what's the point having bench players if you don't trust them replacing the ones failing to score?
Who do you want brought on?

Changes are usually made.

There won't have been many games this season when Juve have been needing a goal and Conte won't have changed the strikers over the course of a game.

Problem is that none of Juve's strikers look likely to score a lot of the time.

If you put extra strikers on there is an excellent chance you will lose control of the game and make less chances than you were before making changes.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
The formation building is still in the process. You win the Matri battle. On the other hand, these small teams are afraid of us again and that's why they park the bus. It was not the case last two seasons since they knew they could attack and grab points by doing it. Now, the only chance left for them is to defend.

The beginning of the season was pretty much the same, apart from Parma game. Playing 4-3-3 still caused the same defence unlocking problems. The question is if it was more useful than 3-5-2 but undoubtedly it was still not effective. I hope Conte is not stubborn and he just tries to find out the key to score more goals against small teams. So far, 3-5-2 proved to be worse than 4-3-3. Other than that, we saw mixed forward line up in 4-3-3, but as far as I remember, we only used Estigarribia and Lichsteiner for the wings in 3-5-2?

What I want to prove is that it is a smart decision to have two fully working formations. And I still consider this season to be kind of the building and looking where the main problems are. If noticed and solved, the next season could be very successful.
We don't have the time to try things right now, the result is drawing to Siena at home. When you had something working and bringing you full points sometimes then you should do it, especially when you want to build a margin to your opponent. Once you create a comfortable lead then you can experiment.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I agree with Jack here. I said it before, the 3-5-2 is the biggest factor in our draws. It may shut down the opponent, but it also makes it harder for us to score. Conte is just putting too much trust on Matri and expecting him to be Trezeguet. We can't win games 1-0 like we used to. Once we get a proper striker in the summer, we can try that. And he did sub a striker for a striker, that was just him being too scared to concede a fast one in the counterattack.

It's gonna suck not having Licht play tonight, but oh well.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Del Piero and Quag. These two players are no where horrible finishers. They need MINUTES and confidence. But when Quag plays 15min and Ale never plays then you can't expect them to change anything indeed.

There won't have been many games this season when Juve have been needing a goal and Conte won't have changed the strikers over the course of a game.

Are you watching our games Andy? I can post you our last 10 results.

As to your last line, that's not an excuse not to play Del Piero and Quag. Give them time and then let us judge.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
When you take Matri out and bring Quagliarella in you do not expect to make a difference in missing chances, you are still using the same build up and the opponent got used to it. Matri for Quagliarella is not an improvement, it is not like you are bringing in Trezeguet or Van Nistelrooy. When you have players like Matri, Quagliarella and Boriello, you do the difference by changing the shape of your team but the pussy mentality stops him from doing it.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Our upfront three aren't prolific enough for a 4-3-3.
Their chance conversion rate isn't good, but the team was creating so many chances in that formation that Juve were usually able to win the game anyway.

3-5-2 is creating less chances, in general, which is exposing the profligacy of the forwards.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Changes are usually made.

If you put extra strikers on there is an excellent chance you will lose control of the game and make less chances than you were before making changes.
I agree but only because they are deployed in that way, when you change the formation in the game you surprise your opponent, you do a different approach, you take another path to reach the goal. But no, Conte is too much of a coward to do that and risk losing the game. God forbid the unbeaten streak is broken.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I still think the 4-4-2 is the best way to go with the player material we have at disposition right now.

Licht - Barzagli - Chiellini - PDC
Pepe - Vidal/Marchisio - Pirlo - Elia/Giacch
Vucinic - Quags/Matri

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Bologna, Catania, Chievo, Cagliari are draws when we played 4-3-3.
Siena and Parma are draws when we played 3-5-2.
We scored against these teams bar Chievo where it was a special situations when we were missing some essential players and our game plan hasn't matured well enough.

You can add the Udinese game to your list of 3-5-2 matches where we DID NOT score.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)