[Serie A] JUVENTUS 2-0 Novara (18-Dec-2011) (1 Viewer)

Man of the Match

• Barzagli

• Pepe

• Chiellini

• Quagliarella

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Novara are the poorest team we have played this season. They offered very little in attack, were completely over-run in midfield, and if it wasn’t for a very worrying lack of sharpness in our attack, and the fine form of their keeper, they could have easily lost 9-2.

After the game, Conte said

'we cannot continue like this…we need to improve our killer instinct…otherwise opponents can rise at any moment and score…and that can become a serious problem’

Which was exactly what I was thinking, throughout the match. Those comments from Conte, I suspect are connected to his future idea of Juventus, of further down the path if we continue at our current rate. Its likely that I over-estimate the quality of Napoli and Milan, but I still see them as both technically better than us. Especially Milan in the offensive department. We are not miles behind them, and have given ourselves a superb chance of remaining in the top three. My concern, and Conte’s I assume, is that the top teams around europe, amongst which is where we are striving to return, we would be made to pay dearly for such profligacy. I watch a lot of premiership football, and the top teams do not waste 15 out of 17 chances. Neither do their right wing forwards try to stop the ball and drag it back, but actually kick it straight off the pitch as Pepe did so embarrassingly in the first half.

Clearly we have hunger, belief, enthusiasm, but make no mistake about it, our team lacks the technical quality of the group of teams we aspire to join at the pinnacle of european football. Giaccherini and Pepe, for all their great value of work and hustle and determination, are both very average in terms of technique. When we have Vucinic, Marchisio, Pirlo, Matri and Vucinic in attendance, the Industry of the workhorses often meshes well with the flair and talent of our more technically gifted players. For now…

Its fair to say that their work ethic and application makes up for their lack of ability on the ball, but this seems only correct to assert when talking of weaker teams like Novara.

Some will likely think I have been unfair on De Ceglie…but I am still horrified at the idea of him playing against top quality opposition, at least as a left back. Further forward, he could be a useful sub. I imagine the likes of Rooney, Aguero, Ronaldo, Silva…all finding problems against Barzagli, Chiellini, Lichsteiner…but against de ceglie??? He would be an extremely obvious weak spot to exploit, over and over again. A left back purchase is a MUST in January. next on the list would be a backup RB.

Well done, boys! I look forward with confidence to the Udinese game…when we will be lucky to have even a quarter of the amount of chances to score, so must be much sharper. And with Bonucci back, I will hope that Chiellini is moved back out wide to LB.

We remain top. Played some sublime, controlled football yesterday, kept a clean sheet, conceded no injuries, created a huge amount of chances and Quagiarella found a goal which will do him personally, and the team as a whole in turn, the world of good.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Still pleased with how we played. Sure we need to work on the efficiency, but as i've said before; as long as the performances are good, results will follow.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Has anyone else figured out why we rarely take regular corners any longer by popping the ball into the middle? Rather we go for the short pass that leads to nothing? One of the few times we actually crossed it in to the middle from the corner Qtube scored.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Good win,agree with what been said that we play well bust improve our finishing.
We can afford those misses vs Novara but not with the better teams.
Proud of how we doing so far hope we'll beat Udinese as well to end the year on a high.then maybe get a proper Lb in January.
Forza Juve!

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Has anyone else figured out why we rarely take regular corners any longer by popping the ball into the middle? Rather we go for the short pass that leads to nothing? One of the few times we actually crossed it in to the middle from the corner Qtube scored.
Yeah I dont get why we always use those short corners, which 9/10 result in nothing. I prefer us going more direct like we did at the end of the game with Pepe putting in some nice deliveries into the penalty area. Obviously its instructions from Conte.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Del Piero with his corners also were very dangerous, comparing to Pirlo's always short passes, unless we have a really good strategy from these short corners,then we should always target the box right away especially with the likes of Matri,Quag,Bones,Barza and Chie..

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Extremely wasteful performance from Juve, which meant it took about an hour too long to put the game to bed, and also gave Novara the belief to play during the middle part of the game.

Midfield looked very open and exposed with Giaccherini in there instead of Vidal.

Del Piero offers next to nothing.

Good game from De Ceglie.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Chiellini looked like he was determined to put in a good performance at CB, so was being even more aggressive than normal.

That caused him to get wrong side of his man at least twice that I can think of, which could have been punished by a decent team.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
IIRC, I don't think it was his agressiveness that led to the two mistakes.

I would have to check it again to know, but I could bet it wasn't only his fault there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)