[Serie A] JUVENTUS 1-3 Palermo (September 23rd 2010) (28 Viewers)

Man of the Match - MoM

• Felipe Melo

• Ale Del Piero

• Not a single Juve player

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zidaninho

Aug 31, 2010
How can a side be improved yet have a defense that has actually taken a step backwards? Isn't that... well, umm... backwards? Come on folks, choose your words carefully and think stuff through.
The side has improved in attack and remained where it is in defense. Their general play has improved slightly from last season in terms of ball movement. Only marginally.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
We only attack through Pepe or Krasic, we never try and go through the middle. In any case, Marchisio doesn't offer any kind of creative spark and Melo sits too far back to participate in the attack. Aquilani has the vision to know where, how and when to pass the ball to start some shit up in our opposition defense...Marchisio and Melo and obviously Sissoko can't do anything close to that. Marhisio is busy enough to be annoying to another teams midfield to allow Aquilani time to work his magic, that is magic that none of our other mids can offer.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Playing Melo does nothing to or for our defense, we still concede. Time for a change, perhaps we should try attacking a team instead of absorbing, make the other team do the thinking for a change.

Everyone claimed that we should stick to marchsio-melo because they were so good against a pathetic team like udinese yet no one would listen to me when i asked to play aquilani...."we should stick with the team that played in udinese because they played well"...blah blah blah.

Palermo knew how to limit us...take Krasic out and kudos to our misfit-toy balzaretti for neutralizing him. We were clearly waiting for DP to do something magical which isn't fair to him.

Zidaninho

Aug 31, 2010
Playing Melo does nothing to or for our defense, we still concede. Time for a change, perhaps we should try attacking a team instead of absorbing, make the other team do the thinking for a change.

Everyone claimed that we should stick to marchsio-melo because they were so good against a pathetic team like udinese yet no one would listen to me when i asked to play aquilani...."we should stick with the team that played in udinese because they played well"...blah blah blah.

Palermo knew how to limit us...take Krasic out and kudos to our misfit-toy balzaretti for neutralizing him. We were clearly waiting for DP to do something magical which isn't fair to him.
Krasic is our only attacking option unfortunately - Aqualani, from the little I've seen of him so far, seems to have a great passing game, just the pass he played to Iaquinta today, which was only half a boot offside, was pure class. He may change some of our fortunes, but we'd still be counting our lucky stars if we come top 4.

I think the real difference since we came second was the loss of Zanetti - he was the only player we had who could make important passes from the centre of the pitch.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I'd say I'm disappointed, but that would be an enormous understatement. We really need to get our act together asap, because whatever positives we show in one game, they're immediately forgotten in the next.

Del Neri needs to look at himself as well, since his subs were completely misjudged.
Bringing on both Iaquinta & Amauri at halftime & changing the formation was just asking for (more) trouble, even if I can understand the logic behind it. He should have gone with one of them for Quag & leave Pepe on the pitch. And if he felt a 2nd sub was absolutely necessary, it should have been Aqui for Marchisio. Then he took out Ale & it was game over for us.

Storari 5 - Questionable. If you can't save that freekick goal (not that it would have changed much), you don't have any business setting foot on the pitch.
Motta 5 - Mediocre, not a lot of glaring mistakes though.
Bonucci 5,5 - Average at best.
Chiellini 6 - Did what he could.
Grygera 5 - See Motta.
Krasic 6 - A threat at times, but poor decision making. Also needs to improve a lot from a tactical point of view. His positioning when we don't have the ball is awful. He'll get there though.
Marchisio 5,5 - Some important work, but too many mistakes.
Melo 7 - Uncharacteristic game from him, which is good. But despite him being our best player last night, as a team we just might be better off without him on the pitch. Not entirely sure of that though.
Pepe 5,5 - Not that great but should have stayed on the pitch.
Del Piero 6 - Obviously not a great game, but he did have a hand in everything we tried.
Qualiarella 4,5 - Poor.

Iaquinta 5 - Well taken goal, other than that poor.
Amauri 4 - Poor.
Aquilani 5 - We all know his qualities but his inclusion didn't make a positive impact.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
How'd Juve score a goal then?
Through a perfect cross by Motta when we found their defense asleep for the first time in the match, once we were 0-3 down.

Del Neri needs to look at himself as well, since his subs were completely misjudged.
Bringing on both Iaquinta & Amauri at halftime & changing the formation was just asking for (more) trouble, even if I can understand the logic behind it. He should have gone with one of them for Quag & leave Pepe on the pitch. And if he felt a 2nd sub was absolutely necessary, it should have been Aqui for Marchisio. Then he took out Ale & it was game over for us.
:agree:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
At the final whistle, our players didn't even look at Del Neri. Didn't even bat an eye. It's almost as if they don't care what he says or thinks.

This could be a major problem.
Really? :lol: And you know this all from what you saw? Just maybe it's because we just lost 3 frigging 1 at home :cookie:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It could be argued that their attack and defence are better than ours.
Palermo's? :shocked: Cassani is good and Balzaretti is decent (great if we could swap fullbacks) but Munoz and Bovo, not close. That's one of the annoying things from this match, I've watched teams get all over them this season, but it's different when you go a goal up. Overall we are better. In attack, I'd say it's pretty close, different kinds of attacks though.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
19/09/10 Win 4-0: let's win our next two games and and we can challenge at the top
23/09/10 Lose 3-1: sack the coach

Gotta love this place :D

lil zlatan

Mar 5, 2006
Ratings from Gazzetta Dello Sport.

Storari 5,5

Grygera 5,5
Bonucci 5
Chiellini 5,5
Motta 5

Krasic 6
Marchisio 5
Melo 6
Pepe 5

Quagliarella 5
Del Piero 7,5

Amauri 6,5
Iaquinta 5,5
Aquilani 5,5

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Palermo's? :shocked: Cassani is good and Balzaretti is decent (great if we could swap fullbacks) but Munoz and Bovo, not close. That's one of the annoying things from this match, I've watched teams get all over them this season, but it's different when you go a goal up. Overall we are better. In attack, I'd say it's pretty close, different kinds of attacks though.
Not just the early goal, but the tactical set-up made them more composed in defense and harder to break. What originally seemed to be an easy job for our wingers, who were supposed to play 1 on 1 with their fullbacks, wasn't as easy because the 3 DMCs in Palermo's midfield moved very well and helped doubling our wingers. Unfortunately, even when our wingers were left 1 on 1 (mostly the case with Krasic) their fullbacks did a very good job on them.
It was hard to penetrate through a team defending with 4 at the back and 3 DMCs. They defended as a unit and neutralized a potential problem coming from an individual mistake.

They set their team to defend and kick on counters, for which they had 3 well moving players up front, especially Pastore, of course, who always managed to outplay his opponent and make a great through pass. It worked for Palermo and they set an example to some other teams in serie A how to play at our Olimpico. Lets hope it won't work for the others.

EDIT: I actually see some similarities with Milan 2007/08. Teams found a way how to play at San Siro, which was exactly the way how Palermo played against us. Milan were too impotent to penetrate through the defense and their backline was being destroyed on counters.

Until January (when Pato started playing and they beat Napoli 5:2) they didn't have a single home win and before the last month when they got in form, their home record was 4-7-4, while away they had a much better record. Kaka was trying, he scored and assisted a lot, but it was futile when the team conceded 2 or 3 on regular basis.
Even with a different formation used by Milan, compared to our 4-4-2, I see the same problems in our team that they had.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Not just the early goal, but the tactical set-up made them more composed in defense and harder to break. What originally seemed to be an easy job for our wingers, who were supposed to play 1 on 1 with their fullbacks, wasn't as easy because the 3 DMCs in Palermo's midfield moved very well and helped doubling our wingers. Unfortunately, even when our wingers were left 1 on 1 (mostly the case with Krasic) their fullbacks did a very good job on them.
It was hard to penetrate through a team defending with 4 at the back and 3 DMCs. They defended as a unit and neutralized a potential problem coming from an individual mistake.

They set their team to defend and kick on counters, for which they had 3 well moving players up front, especially Pastore, of course, who always managed to outplay his opponent and make a great through pass. It worked for Palermo and they set an example to some other teams in serie A how to play at our Olimpico. Lets hope it won't work for the others.

EDIT: I actually see some similarities with Milan 2007/08. Teams found a way how to play at San Siro, which was exactly the way how Palermo played against us. Milan were too impotent to penetrate through the defense and their backline was being destroyed on counters.

Until January (when Pato started playing and they beat Napoli 5:2) they didn't have a single home win and before the last month when they got in form, their home record was 4-7-4, while away they had a much better record. Kaka was trying, he scored and assisted a lot, but it was futile when the team conceded 2 or 3 on regular basis.
Even with a different formation used by Milan, compared to our 4-4-2, I see the same problems in our team that they had.
With a goal after 2 minutes, that is natural, and maybe the only way to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)