[Serie A] JUVENTUS 1-3 Palermo (September 23rd 2010) (10 Viewers)

Man of the Match - MoM

• Felipe Melo

• Ale Del Piero

• Not a single Juve player

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You know what I dislike about this penalty?

It's a foul that is always a penalty for the big teams and rarely or never penalty for the smaller teams.
Del Piero is obviously fouled. He kicks the ball and the Palermo #27 was very close to get it if DP wasn't fouled so it gives a loophole to the referee.
In 9/10 situations teams like Palermo will not be given that penalty. In 9/10 situations Inter, Milan, Real, Barca, ManU will be given that penalty.

What I dislike is that we're treated like a Palermo, not like a Milan.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
What originally seemed to be an easy job for our wingers, who were supposed to play 1 on 1 with their fullbacks, wasn't as easy because the 3 DMCs in Palermo's midfield moved very well and helped doubling our wingers..
This is where I think adding sissoko at half time would have helped, we need a lil more hussle or simply the fact that change our play to help out the wingers, especially as that was always going to be the route we were going to. Infact there were occasions where grygera on the left did find himself in free crossing positions, whilst pepe or dp would actually cut in rather than laying it to him to cross, of course that wouldnt have helped anyway, there were quite a few things wrong. Either way we were static, I just felt more could have been done.

EDIT: I actually see some similarities with Milan 2007/08.
Milan ended up 5th that season. Sounds about right

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
You know what I dislike about this penalty?

It's a foul that is always a penalty for the big teams and rarely or never penalty for the smaller teams.
Del Piero is obviously fouled. He kicks the ball and the Palermo #27 was very close to get it if DP wasn't fouled so it gives a loophole to the referee.
In 9/10 situations teams like Palermo will not be given that penalty. In 9/10 situations Inter, Milan, Real, Barca, ManU will be given that penalty.

What I dislike is that we're treated like a Palermo, not like a Milan.
Yep. I wonder how many points that is worth to us over a season. In the past, we would have been given that penalty, no question. You don't need a 'Moggi system', it's just how football works at that top level.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Match Analysis: Juventus 1-3 Palermo (Football Italia)

Within two minutes Palermo had undone Luigi Del Neri’s gameplan and effectively won the match. Rob Paton looks at how

Both sides set up as expected, Juventus in a 4-4-2 and Palermo in the 4-3-2-1 that had served well against Inter at the weekend.

As was the case against the Nerazzurri, Palermo gave their opponents more of the possession, again looking lively on the counter, whilst in placing three up top, Delio Rossi inadvertently scuppered Juve’s main outlet to attack.

Kicking off, Juve put together some decent moves down both wings, with the full-backs providing good support going forward. But the early Rosanero goal that outnumbered Juve on the break forced Marco Motta and Zdenek Grygera to stay put in defence, neutralising Juve’s gameplan.

It shifted attacking impetus entirely to the feet of the front two and the wingers, with Felipe Melo and Claudio Marchisio remaining sat in front of the defence offering the cover they anticipated was needed to cover their full-backs, but in fact wasn’t. It left Juventus with plenty of the ball, but not enough support in the final third, either to provide chances or to capitalise on them.

Alex Del Piero and Milos Krasic were the only ones looking to take the game to Palermo, to play on the front foot and at pace. Too often though they found only each other as options in the box.

The second-half introductions of Amauri and Vincenzo Iaquinta looked to correct this, but instead of the team using Krasic to press Federico Balzaretti, Juve were guilty of picking the long ball option in search of Amauri on too many occasions, easily defended by the Rosanero.

Iaquinta’s goal was the first occasion since the opening minute that Motta had doubled up with Krasic, and a simple cross was converted with ease, showcasing what could have come from a bit more application.

At the back, Juve continue to mark space rather than opponents, a trait of Del Neri’s, with no-one better at this than Felipe Melo. Many have praised the Brazilian’s reborn attitude, but he was reluctant to move from outside a narrow area between centre-circle and edge of the D – with Javier Pastore, Mauricio Pinilla and Josip Ilicic soon realising simply playing to either side of this space could bring direct access to the Juve defence, and cause the confusion they did.

For Palermo, everything Rossi has been saying about deserving more points was proven in the performance here and the youngsters made the biggest impact. Ezequiel Munoz put in a much-improved contribution on his Brescia showing, whilst Ilicic linked up nicely with Pastore. Fellow Slovenian Armin Bacinovic looks a real find, playing the single defensive midfielder in front of the back four with a maturity beyond his tender age.

Palermo deserve the three points and leave Del Neri looking less familiar with his players than previously thought, and his players less familiar with Del Neri’s tactics than thought possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could have bolded the whole bulk of this article but bang on analysis, simply what ive been saying about this match, the lack of moment by the central pairing (melo and marchi). Oh yeah the long ball to amauri was a classic!

Nov 1, 2002
"At the back, Juve continue to mark space rather than opponents"

ive noticed this since match 1 with DN, his defensive tactics sucks big time.
thats why good coaches like Lippi could get much better results

one of our main problem the last season was the defense, DN came with different team but not that much better quality, the defense problems remained the same like the last season but DN instead focused on HIS OWN tactics than fixing the defense and other problems

the best coaches get the right tactics depending on their team skills and start building slowly instead of forcing their main tactics on totally new team with players who just had the worst season in their career.

3-3 against polish team
3-3 against bari

we surely dont have the best defense but conceding 3 goals against such a weak teams is ridiculous. i remember the glorious days with Lippi we even played counter attack against sides like bari, udinese, chievo and as soon as we score 1 goal it was like, the match is over. as individuals we were not the best with players like toricelli, birindelli, pessotto, iuliano...etc. milan, inter had better individuals but we were playing smart and much better as a team. thanks to Lippi for building great mentality within the team.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
You all need to stop complaining about the penalty. We should have found other ways to score, we are more than capable of scoring goals from free play. Hopefully no one here is using the PK that we didn't get as an excuse. We lost fair and square and need to start scoring from open play and not depend on DP getting brought down in the box.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Every time we were in attack we had 3 of our players in front of their goal and bunch of their players, on the other hand when they were attacking the situation was quite different they had as many players as we had in front of our goal, the movements of our team is bad I think.

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
Just finishing up watching a replay of the game, and I believe it was a tactical mistake by Del Neri changing the 4-2-3-1, that was being effective to a 4-3-3 when Aquilani entered the pitch. He should of straight swap Aquilani with DP and stayed with the 4-2-3-1 with Aquilani playing behind the CF Amauri. But instead he opted to change the formation to a 4-3-3 with Aquilani playing in the LCM role, which is a waste of his talent because he's more effective in the center of the pitch.

Once again our opponent scored two garbage goals, we seriously need at least one new quality fullback on January.

kkarpuzi

Sep 24, 2010
We need fresh legs like Traore. Players like grygera, motta, melo, IAQUINTA and even quagliarella should get the F out. Our defending is really bad, like some of you said earlier, we are defending spaces instead of man to man. That is the main problem. Multiple players challenge one opponent and as a result there is many more free to do what they want. Thats how we conceived the goal in the 2nd minute. A team that cannot defend cannot win championships

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
At the back, Juve continue to mark space rather than opponents, a trait of Del Neri’s, with no-one better at this than Felipe Melo. Many have praised the Brazilian’s reborn attitude, but he was reluctant to move from outside a narrow area between centre-circle and edge of the D – with Javier Pastore, Mauricio Pinilla and Josip Ilicic soon realising simply playing to either side of this space could bring direct access to the Juve defence, and cause the confusion they did.
Melo does run the ball forward quite a lot, I don't know about his marking.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Our defense looked indolent again, we are simply able to concede 3 goals from 5 chances while we can't score from at least 8 chances. Don't know what's the cause but something is wrong.
By the way, no creativity, our every attack looks the same - give a ball to the winger and wait him to try something. It is starting to be so obvious.
We have several problems to fix - too many new players (that is a good thing on a long runway) , we lack winning mentality , the defense is widely exposed and our defenders look indolent. Creativity is not the thing we can fix right now , it was killed at the day Diego and Giovinco left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)