[Serie A] JUVENTUS 1-1 Lazio (January 31st, 2010) (3 Viewers)

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for all the review here. I don't watch this game. A disappointing result, but i'm glad that everyone here said there is an improvement especially in our passing game. I hope Zac can teach or instruct our players to move and do some through ball to unlock opponent defense. I don't see we create chance using through ball this season while Barca do it for fun..

About the subs, i think the Melo to Caceres still logical for me. Although there is some question why not Gio or why not Marrone as direct DM replacement. As far i know Marrone and Gio also just come back from injury. And Marrone lack of football matches in Serie A so Zac can count it as risky sub. Anyway, just Zac can explain this sub.

And how about De Ceglie performance as LB, especially his defensive play? Did he perform good? Can he push Grosso to the bench for next match?

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for all the review here. I don't watch this game. A disappointing result, but i'm glad that everyone here said there is an improvement especially in our passing game. I hope Zac can teach or instruct our players to move and do some through ball to unlock opponent defense. I don't see we create chance using through ball this season while Barca do it for fun..

About the subs, i think the Melo to Caceres still logical for me. Although there is some question why not Gio or why not Marrone as direct DM replacement. As far i know Marrone and Gio also just come back from injury. And Marrone lack of football matches in Serie A so Zac can count it as risky sub. Anyway, just Zac can explain this sub.

And how about De Ceglie performance as LB, especially his defensive play? Did he perform good? Can he push Grosso to the bench for next match?
He hardly had anything to do defensively as when Lazio actually started pushing for the goal he was playing LM. At LB, he was good going forward even though his crossing needs a lot of improvement. And boy, is he fast.

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Giovinco de ceglie paolucci Marchisio( even though injured) need to play every game. For the moment amauri needs to get benches bad and get paolucci out there till iaquinta gets back

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
We can now only rely on long shots, corners and penalties. It's not just Amauri, we can't score, like their boxes are cursed or something.

I can't remember the last time we scored one-on-one, nor through balls that came in.

Judging by our play we can play without any strikers up front, we wouldn't even feel it.
Everything will change once Iaquinta is fit to play.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
De Ceglie is not good enought to play for us IMO we have to buy someone for the LB position
+Grosso is dissapointing I`m afraid that Molinaro was our best LB
Kolarov could do well should we sign him

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I am neither happy nor too upset with our performance tonight, I guess you can say that it was a mixed bag

We played a pretty good first half, moving the ball around well, controlling possession, but the only thing missing was a goal. No matter what we did, we just couldnt seem to find the back of the net. We also played well on defense, as I dont believe Lazio had any real good chances in the first half (none that I remember)

The second half was a little different story. I think the frustration, as well as fatigue began to set in, as Lazio looked more dangerous, and stepped up their game. When we were awarded the non-existent penalty, and DP converted, Lazio went into full gear. Once again, the defense failed on what started out as a set-piece, when Grygera showed everyone why he belongs on the bench. His lack of cover against Mauri cost us 2 points.

As long as we are on the subject of guys who belong on the bench, I wish Amauri got a permanent seat there, as I am sick and tired of his dives, complaints, and mistakes.

Some here, and on other sites, praised Momo's performance, but here is a guy who can win a ball against anyone, but passes it with the accuracy of a 9 year old girl. He needs lot of work with the ball

Diego still hasnt found his feet here, I saw a slight improvement tonight, but still nothing like what I saw in Germany.

Candreva had a good game, with lots of precision passing, but takes too many long distance shots (dont remember him ever scoring one for Livorno...ok, maybe once !!)

Zac said the right things after the game, lets see if he can implement them....
+rep for a good review.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
I am neither happy nor too upset with our performance tonight, I guess you can say that it was a mixed bag

We played a pretty good first half, moving the ball around well, controlling possession, but the only thing missing was a goal. No matter what we did, we just couldnt seem to find the back of the net. We also played well on defense, as I dont believe Lazio had any real good chances in the first half (none that I remember)

The second half was a little different story. I think the frustration, as well as fatigue began to set in, as Lazio looked more dangerous, and stepped up their game. When we were awarded the non-existent penalty, and DP converted, Lazio went into full gear. Once again, the defense failed on what started out as a set-piece, when Grygera showed everyone why he belongs on the bench. His lack of cover against Mauri cost us 2 points.

As long as we are on the subject of guys who belong on the bench, I wish Amauri got a permanent seat there, as I am sick and tired of his dives, complaints, and mistakes.

Some here, and on other sites, praised Momo's performance, but here is a guy who can win a ball against anyone, but passes it with the accuracy of a 9 year old girl. He needs lot of work with the ball

Diego still hasnt found his feet here, I saw a slight improvement tonight, but still nothing like what I saw in Germany.

Candreva had a good game, with lots of precision passing, but takes too many long distance shots (dont remember him ever scoring one for Livorno...ok, maybe once !!)

Zac said the right things after the game, lets see if he can implement them....
Good review, pretty much agree on all points.

Melo deserves a mention as he played a very good game and its great seeing him progressively improve. When the whole team gets back to form, he will be up there as well which is great for the team.

The movement was getting better since the Roma game. This is our best performance for a long time, but there is a huge room for improvement in the final third and obviously at the back. Individual mistakes cost us again.

In regards to formation, we saw how good the 4-3-1-2 could be and how important alex is to it. Also I think when Marchi and Trezi get back we will have the optimal personnel for it.

About Zack's subs, some were criticizing him for the caceras melo sub. DC is the most balanced player we had out there that could play in the midfield, marrone just came back from an injury and he isn't a DM per say as he was played more as a CM. But still we needed a result and that was a big risk if you ask me. Should've brough gio but again I question how fit he is.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Once again, a decent game by us, in which we are lucky enough to take the lead. We just can't hold on to it, let alone expand our lead. And it's not like we change our game completely after scoring, but there does seem to be some kind of panic kicking in.
Then, once we concede, we completely lose the plot & start panicking even more. Unorganized attacking, silly fouls, shaky defense, ...

If you ask me, it's a psychological issue more than anything. A new coach could very well solve that, but obviously not in 2 days time.

Manninger 6 - Tested once & made the save. Could do very little about the goal.
Grygera 5 - Mostly decent at the back, but should have done better on the goal. His attacking contributions were not a big success, but at least he tried.
Cannavaro 6 - Used his experience well, pretty easy game for him.
Chiellini 6 - Some lousy clearances/passes, but overall did a good job.
De Ceglie 6,5 - Good game. Held his own in defense and always provided our attack with options on the left.
Sissoko 6,5 - Some absolutely great moments, coupled with some shaky ones. Even regularly troubled the Lazio defense, but he's obviously not a technical player.
Melo 6,5 - Two weeks in a row now that he's one of the best players on the pitch. Encouraging.
Candreva 6 - Saw some nice moves & passes. He does seem to have a good insight and knows where & how to pass. Not afraid to take his chances either. Still, again he went missing some times.
Diego 6,5 - Good but unlucky.
Del Piero 5,5 - Overall rather poor. Cool finish on the PK though.
Amauri 5,5 - Some very useful work as a target man. Nice flicks. But he's just not going to score, is he?

Caceres 5,5 - Not entirely sure why he came on. No real impact, but that was to be expected.
Paolucci -

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
In the first half, I did like the movement I saw on the pitch. Lots of players checking to one another and making quick passes to try to find their way around the Lazio defense, along with a few give and goes mixed about. It does appear that perhaps this issue of movement was addressed to the side, unless it was sheer urgency from the players to try to make things happen on their own. Either way, that was good to see at least.

Still, the flanks are an issue for us when we have the ball. The fullbacks still can't handle the job of supporting the attack and putting in consistently good crosses. I saw Sissoko roam out wide right quite a lot, and while Grygera made some decent overlapping runs, they aren't really a great duo for providing us scoring chances from the right. Candreva did a bit better out left when he was towards the flank, cutting inside, but most of the decent stuff from the first half came through the middle.

But while there is some noticeable improvement in the way the side moves, we still struggle to create chances.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
In the first half, I did like the movement I saw on the pitch. Lots of players checking to one another and making quick passes to try to find their way around the Lazio defense, along with a few give and goes mixed about. It does appear that perhaps this issue of movement was addressed to the side, unless it was sheer urgency from the players to try to make things happen on their own. Either way, that was good to see at least.

Still, the flanks are an issue for us when we have the ball. The fullbacks still can't handle the job of supporting the attack and putting in consistently good crosses. I saw Sissoko roam out wide right quite a lot, and while Grygera made some decent overlapping runs, they aren't really a great duo for providing us scoring chances from the right. Candreva did a bit better out left when he was towards the flank, cutting inside, but most of the decent stuff from the first half came through the middle.

But while there is some noticeable improvement in the way the side moves, we still struggle to create chances.
Zacheroni actually mentions the lack of width in his post game interview.

"Underlining that «in the first half hour we did not use the flank much with Del Piero and Diego playing very close to each other, perhaps too close, because the Brazilian should look for space on the wing», Zaccheroni showed optimism for the immediate future: «Matches are won and lost in midfield and we have excellent players in this area, some of whom are out. However, you will see an improving team. Tonight we fielded will, the rest will follow».
"

He actually expects Diego to occupy the spaces on the wings. That is exactly what I want from Diego, he is the free role player and should start in the middle then move into the spaces on the wings.

Interesting observations from him, he mentioned that he didn't like us losing the ball too much which is promising.

Diego

Aug 30, 2005
Zacheroni actually mentions the lack of width in his post game interview.

"Underlining that «in the first half hour we did not use the flank much with Del Piero and Diego playing very close to each other, perhaps too close, because the Brazilian should look for space on the wing», Zaccheroni showed optimism for the immediate future: «Matches are won and lost in midfield and we have excellent players in this area, some of whom are out. However, you will see an improving team. Tonight we fielded will, the rest will follow».
"

He actually expects Diego to occupy the spaces on the wings. That is exactly what I want from Diego, he is the free role player and should start in the middle then move into the spaces on the wings.

Interesting observations from him, he mentioned that he didn't like us losing the ball too much which is promising.

Agree. We played too much in the middle

Jasp

Mar 19, 2009
I am pleased with progress, most posts point out that the movement was a lot better and the passing a lot better, and I definetly agree. Considering he only had two days, I don't think we should be too pessimistic.

We won the midfield battle, but Lazio was very defensive (and they have the 2nd best defensive record in serie a). So maybe it was expected that we would have more space to pass on, but a very tough backline to open ?

Anyways, Zaccheronis real test is saturday against Livorno. One full week to prepare, improve passing and position and knock some confidence into their heads. Gio and Caceres on week fitter.

With regards to the subs, I don't knwo how many choices he had. Don't think you can sub Gio for Melo. So the Caceres was ok in my opinion. I would have liked to see gio play, however, it is a tough gamer for his type of player to enter. He could have subbed for Diego or DP, but they both played well. Maybe for Amauri, but then we would really lack physical presence up front. but if we could keep the ball on the ground it might work. And Gio attracts a lot of freekicks providing set pieces in which we seem to our only offensive quality right now. But then we don't know if he is fully fit so it's hard to judge.

Amauri for Paloucci. The easy choice, but i don't think he has much to offer.

I do like that I can look ahead to saturday with a little more pleasure and confidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)