[Serie A] Juventus 1-1 A.C. Milan [September 19th, 2021] (28 Viewers)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Even the fans are stuck in the past.

It's actually pretty sad. Like 80 year-old grandfathers sitting in front of sql Server sad.
what do you mean by past? isn't the 2012-2019 period a good enough reference for your taste?

arguing against a properly working defense on a juve forum, i think i've seen it all

- - - Updated - - -

our ultras are back, we missed them so much

singus

Sep 22, 2020
what do you mean by past? isn't the 2012-2019 period a good enough reference for your taste?

arguing against a properly working defense on a juve forum, i think i've seen it all

- - - Updated - - -

our ultras are back, we missed them so much
Oh we moving the goal posts again now.

Noone is arguing against a properly working defense. But you and a few others are arguing for spending most of our energy on the meta-goal of keeping clean sheets.

If our sole goal for the rest of 2021 is to not concede any goals, then it would be very counterproductive and we would lose more points than if we had the normal football objective of scoring at least 1 more goal than the opponent does.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we the team with the most cleansheets in CL, on average? Do we have more than the likes of Real, Bayern, Barca?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I see that wanting to keep a clean sheet equates to being defensive.

Give me a guaranteed clean sheet ahead of a guaranteed one goal scored any day of the week, we'd win far more games.

Scoring goals is nice but it's been 3 points for a win since 1994. When they start handing out 4 points for winning by 3 goals then I suppose it becomes important.

singus

Sep 22, 2020
I see that wanting to keep a clean sheet equates to being defensive.

Give me a guaranteed clean sheet ahead of a guaranteed one goal scored any day of the week, we'd win far more games.

Scoring goals is nice but it's been 3 points for a win since 1994. When they start handing out 4 points for winning by 3 goals then I suppose it becomes important.
Something is off with your math mate :D

A guaranteed clean sheet compared to what? Compared to conceding 2 goals? If so, then that should be equal to the alternative of "2 goals scored" obviously.

A goal not conceded is worth a goal scored obviously.

Jun 6, 2015
Oh we moving the goal posts again now.

Noone is arguing against a properly working defense. But you and a few others are arguing for spending most of our energy on the meta-goal of keeping clean sheets.

If our sole goal for the rest of 2021 is to not concede any goals, then it would be very counterproductive and we would lose more points than if we had the normal football objective of scoring at least 1 more goal than the opponent does.
Don't think anyone has claimed that our sole goal should be to keep clean sheets but it's obvious that it's much easier to consistently score that 1 goal more than your opponent when you don't concede in every single game.

Just look at last seasons Premier league champions City for example:

They kept 19 clean sheets and won 18 of those matches (six 1-0 wins). That is 55 points out of maximum total of 57, so ≈2.9 points per game.

From the games where they conceded a goal they ended up winning 9, drawing 4 (all 1-1 draws) and lost 6. That is 31 points out of maximum total of 57, so ≈1.6 ppg.

They seemed to benefit quite a bit from keeping clean sheets. One might even argue that keeping a clean sheet drastically increased the likelihood of them getting the 3 points.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Don't think anyone has claimed that our sole goal should be to keep clean sheets but it's obvious that it's much easier to consistently score that 1 goal more than your opponent when you don't concede in every single game.

They kept 19 clean sheets and won 18 of those matches (six 1-0 wins). That is 55 points out of maximum total of 57, so ≈2.9 points per game.

From the games where they conceded a goal they ended up winning 9, drawing 4 (all 1-1 draws) and lost 6. That is 31 points out of maximum total of 57, so ≈1.6 ppg.

They seemed to benefit quite a bit from keeping clean sheets. One might even argue that keeping a clean sheet drastically increased the likelihood of them getting the 3 points.
Yeah good example. Except City’s clean sheet come after keeping 70% of ball possession and not giving the ball to them and letting them create lots of chances.
Their cleansheet against norwich last week
0F28CD3A-CBC3-4019-A9DA-C98972121F8E.jpeg

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

In 17-18, that season the anti-Allegri’s are constantly calling trash, we had seven 1-0 wins in the league. But apparently all Allegri ever does is win 1-0. :lol:

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
In 17-18, that season the anti-Allegri’s are constantly calling trash, we had seven 1-0 wins in the league. But apparently all Allegri ever does is win 1-0. :lol:
Too bad we are in 2021/22 season. Well you can go back in history and find some statistics to have some satisfaction. But 18th place and only newly promoted salernitana has less points than Juve does seem bad.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009

I am, once again, going to have to stress that facts aren't welcome on 'tuz. :andy2:

singus

Sep 22, 2020

Thank you, you kinda helped prove my point.

Even super offensive teams like City with Pep at the helm, who usually deploy midfielders as CBs, are winning lots of games with clean sheets. Its a bi-product of great football, where you are somewhat solid defensively, and lethal offensively. Sitting back a whole game with a deep defense, very rarely it works out over 90 minutes, its like playing russian roulette, just waiting for mistakes, deflections, penalties and shit to happen. Attack, and threatening your opponent is the best form of defense. This is football knowledge 101.If we cant agree on that, then Im happy to disagree.

Im against spending 95% of our focus on optimizing a defense with a goal of removing any tiny mistake in defensive manoeuvres (to grind out "clean sheets"), when our attack and control of a game is lacking equally as much. I believe that there are low-hanging fruits in every sector of our game and over optimizing in one area is a waste of resources at this point.

Jun 6, 2015
Thank you, you kinda helped prove my point.

Even super offensive teams like City with Pep at the helm, who usually deploy midfielders as CBs, are winning lots of games with clean sheets. Its a bi-product of great football, where you are somewhat solid defensively, and lethal offensively. Sitting back a whole game with a deep defense, very rarely it works out over 90 minutes, its like playing russian roulette, just waiting for mistakes, deflections, penalties and shit to happen. Attack, and threatening your opponent is the best form of defense. This is football knowledge 101.If we cant agree on that, then Im happy to disagree.

Im against spending 95% of our focus on optimizing a defense with a goal of removing any tiny mistake in defensive manoeuvres (to grind out "clean sheets"), when our attack and control of a game is lacking equally as much. I believe that there are low-hanging fruits in every sector of our game and over optimizing in one area is a waste of resources at this point.
You were trying to downplay the role that keeping clean sheets play in acquiring wins. I just showed that it's bullshit and clean sheets definitely play a huge role in getting good results consistently (should be pretty self-explanatory but I guess not). I don't really care how those clean sheets are accomplished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)