[Serie A] JUVENTUS 1-0 Chievo, August 23rd 2009 (1 Viewer)

Man of the match

• Buffon

• Grygera

• Salihamidzic

• Chiellini

• Cannavaro

• Poulsen

• Tiago

• Marchisio

• Iaquinta

• Diego

• Amauri

• De Ceglie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
What a difference between the first and second half. Cannavaro takes the MOM award for his performance tonight, without him we would have definitely conceded in the second half. Also he makes Chiellini look great.

Diego is out of this world and so is Amauri.

I loved how Marrone took control of the pitch by the dying minutes, this guy has a future.
:agree:
I was surprised to see Marrone there, but even more surprised to see him cope like that!!

Kudos to Ciro for giving him the chance. It seems that, at least from this perspective Ferrara >>> CR

I was very pleased with the result and i am not hat worried with our stamina.
Ferrara imposed that to avoid the x-mas crisis. We should be happy it didnt cost any points.

It is already too much to ask for spectacle too!
The only thing that worries me is that indeed Chie seems to suffer (sometimes) behind Canna, esp when the later plays well. Maybe he has a complex or smth.
Hopefully they will form smth more than a partnership on the field and Chiellini will eventually relax and return to his best!

As for our fullbacks... i still believe in DC and hope that Caceres will live up to the expectations...

abejaa

Sep 25, 2006
Guys stop complaining, we got 3 points, first games are always difficult ones. Canna played great but to me still a traitor... Marchisio can drible and he had a good game, ballerina was ok... Poulsen did great job in first half... Chiellini a beast... buffon had nothing to do. Iaquinta my man :D :D :D

I hope didn't get a serious injury :)!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Good win to start the season. First half was incredibly classy with good movement and chances, but during the second 45 we looked lethargic and lost the plot. We didn't keep enough possession, gave it up too easily, and didn't create as much as we did in the first. I didn't like the looks of that. But perhaps this strange divergence in performance can be linked to fitness, which Ciro should address.

The only other problems I see is that our flank play will be a problem for us, which is worrying. Again, the fullback positions (more like problems) should have been addressed this summer, but instead we're stuck with Grygera and without a proper guy on the left. I'm really hoping De Ceglie can take that spot, and while he was horrid today with the ball, I know he can do better. He has the talent, but just needs to work on execution and consistency. Apart from that, finishing needs improvement as well. But overall I was pleased with the performance given that this was our first match of the new stagione.

Buffon - Wasn't tested much at all. 6.5

Grygera - Made a great saving tackle that might have saved us a goal, but he's terrible going down the right flank. We need somebody better. 5.5

The Traitor - Made tons of saving tackles, stuff that was reminiscent of his days as one of the best. But I'm not taking back my words about him. No way. 7.5

Chiellini - Decently solid. 6.5

Salihamidzic - Not sure if I like him at left-back or not. Had to come off with an injury. NA

Tiago - He really does move the ball well and provides good support to the attack, plus he appears to be giving the defensive side of the game more of a go. This is good to see and if he continues like this he'll have to start. 6.5

Poulsen - Awkward. Made a lot of silly mistakes and bad passes. 5.5

Marchisio - Probably the most quiet player on the pitch for us. I think he'll have to take the bench sooner or later. Not bad though. 6

Diego - Apart from the obvious contribution he gives to the attack, I really like seeing him fight for balls and hustle back. Great team player and great first match in Serie A. 7

Iaquinta - Good goal but he needs to do better in front of the net. 6.5

Amauri - Beast of a player. 7

DC - Horrible crosses and giveaways that shouldn't be happening. 5

Marrone - Good hustle from the kid. Like the way he plays with hustle and good control. NA

Camoranesi - NA

Ferrara - Good choices, IMO. Maybe could have subbed earlier. 6.5

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #530
    :beer:

Though 2nd half, condition not arrived yet. We need good fullbackS.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Andy pretty much nailed it. I love how we play now.

Cannavaro, Diego and Amauri were just class. I'm already starting to love Diego, it's what we needed (apart from defense).

Forza Juve!

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
    Apr 19, 2003
    Good win to start the season. First half was incredibly classy with good movement and chances, but during the second 45 we looked lethargic and lost the plot. We didn't keep enough possession, gave it up too easily, and didn't create as much as we did in the first. I didn't like the looks of that. But perhaps this strange divergence in performance can be linked to fitness, which Ciro should address.

The only other problems I see is that our flank play will be a problem for us, which is worrying. Again, the fullback positions (more like problems) should have been addressed this summer, but instead we're stuck with Grygera and without a proper guy on the left. I'm really hoping De Ceglie can take that spot, and while he was horrid today with the ball, I know he can do better. He has the talent, but just needs to work on execution and consistency. Apart from that, finishing needs improvement as well. But overall I was pleased with the performance given that this was our first match of the new stagione.

Buffon - Wasn't tested much at all. 6.5

Grygera - Made a great saving tackle that might have saved us a goal, but he's terrible going down the right flank. We need somebody better. 5.5

The Traitor - Made tons of saving tackles, stuff that was reminiscent of his days as one of the best. But I'm not taking back my words about him. No way. 7.5

Chiellini - Decently solid. 6.5

Salihamidzic - Not sure if I like him at left-back or not. Had to come off with an injury. NA

Tiago - He really does move the ball well and provides good support to the attack, plus he appears to be giving the defensive side of the game more of a go. This is good to see and if he continues like this he'll have to start. 6.5

Poulsen - Awkward. Made a lot of silly mistakes and bad passes. 5.5

Marchisio - Probably the most quiet player on the pitch for us. I think he'll have to take the bench sooner or later. Not bad though. 6

Diego - Apart from the obvious contribution he gives to the attack, I really like seeing him fight for balls and hustle back. Great team player and great first match in Serie A. 7

Iaquinta - Good goal but he needs to do better in front of the net. 6.5

Amauri - Beast of a player. 7

DC - Horrible crosses and giveaways that shouldn't be happening. 5

Marrone - Good hustle from the kid. Like the way he plays with hustle and good control. NA

Camoranesi - NA

Ferrara - Good choices, IMO. Maybe could have subbed earlier. 6.5
    Good review,fair ratings.

Forza Juve!

Ken

The Dutch Touch
    Aug 17, 2007
    First of all.. congrats to everyone, those 3 points are in the bag.

First half was good, second was pretty dire. It was like our players' batteries just went empty instantly. Main thing from that first half though, when we did fine, was that we did it without our strongest players. Melo, Momo and Camo not there so I was pretty pleased with the way we performed.

Fitness issues shouldn't be too worrying, since we had a really tough training regime and travelled back n forth. This will pay off in the end. All-in-all a really good result, since first games always seem to cause trouble.

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
    Aug 13, 2008
    Let me give ratings a try for those who didn't watch the game.

Buffon - 7 - Secure, safe although hardly tested. But a clean sheet is good enough for me.

Salihamizic - 6.5 - Neither good nor bad. He wasn't doing the amazing but neither was he as bad as Grygera that's for sure. The injury is certainly a worry for us though. I prefer him over Molinaro any day.

Chiellini - 7 - The matches with La Nazionale sure helped as he partnered really well with Cannavaro. Also came really close on scoring.

Cannavaro - 8 - Kept the score the same throughout the second half. Numerous great tackles and even covered the right side well to do what Grygera should have done. Class performance and I am glad it is the good old Cannavaro and not the traitor that went to Real

Grygera - 5.5 - The weak link in our defense. Hardly good with his horrid crosses and the same goes for his defending.

Tiago - 7 - Played very well. A vast improvement from the way he was used last year and was doing a great job on assisting the forward line at the first half. Didn't keep it up at the second.

Poulsen - 6.5 - Did well in the first half do control the midfield. Did some nice interceptions and tackles and did one good run forward. But kinda died down at the second half.

Marchisio - 6.5 - Was invisible next the the others in the first half but recovered well at the second. Still needs to learn alot.

Diego - 8 - Always willing to win the ball and always willing to push forward. A joy to watch. Provided the great service the strikers lacked last year. A pity they didn't use it. I just hope that his endurance improves over the season.

Iaquinta - 6.5 - Great header to win us the match but should have done better at places, especially his chance for the second at the middle of the first half.

Amauri - 7 - Was all over the Chievo defense. Was dribbling really well along the flanks and only the post denied him a goal.

Subs

De Ceglie - 6 - Was a mixed bag. He performed well here, but did badly there. I saw him do some good runs but also made a hash of some crosses.

Marrone - 6.5 - Very promising guy. But not decisive enough still.

Camoranesi - Late - Put on too late to tip the balance of the game.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    You really sensed a generational passing of the baton in this match. This is a new Juve, and what I see I mostly like. The creativity and inventiveness is higher than we've seen in a long time. But that defensive organization still haunts us -- and the ability to finish off good chances.

I'll take the three points, of course. But this turned out to be a nail-biter. First half star was Diego. Second half was clearly Cannavaro. Your choice as to whose role was most critical to our three points.

Our formation lacked good crossing abilities, however -- and that's something that Ferrara is going to need to work for future matches. Having Iaquinta and Amauri on the wings is not sufficient and we need finishers at the same time.

Buffon - 6.5 - Not tested much, but sure-handed.

Brazzo - 6 - Better than a midfielder than as a back today. Shame about the injury.

Grygera - 5.5 - A good tackle here and there prevented this story from being dominated by more of his disastrous play going forward and attempting crosses. Made me wish Molinaro was in his place, and that's bad.

Traitor :) - 8 - Brilliant anticipation and super-destructive tackles. A real force like we haven't seen of him since he last played for Juve. Saved our prosciutto in the second half. MOM.

Chiellini - 6 - Mostly solid, but he got beat around the bend a few too many times.

Tiago - 7 - Good aggression in the Chievo box -- I really liked how he contested every ball about to go out past the goal line. Could have made better connections with his teammates, but made a nice pass here and there. The formation and the coaching change is making a difference for him.

Poulson - 5.5 - OK match. His high points were muted by some footing problems that plagued him throughout the match. Give his boots a 4.5.

Marchisio - 6 - Started slow but became solid in the second half.

Diego - 7 - Great ball skills, great heads-up play, and some impressive runs chasing down the ball. I'm afraid those runs tired him out early, as he seemed to lose his touch in the second half. Great free kick placement for the goal. But some of his passes need to be more accurate.

Iiaquinta - 7 - A workhorse. And not just on offense -- he was very impactful defensively. Sweet header for the goal.

Amauri - 7 - A semi-frustrating day for him, between referee calls and losing the ball to a few good tackles. But he had a couple of moments of brilliance down the flanks of the Chievo box -- and hit the post.

Subs:

De Ceglie - 5 - I felt he could have contributed more defensively in the match when we needed it in the second half. And his crosses were useless. Not a good showing.

Marrone - 6 - A quick yellow card and lost the ball a couple of times, but showed some decent heads-up play in what created a Chievo arm-ball non-call.

Camoranesi - NR - Barely on long enough to rate.

Coach:

Ferrara - 6 - A decent outing. Showed leaps and bounds of creative thinking over what Ranieri was capable of (Marrone as a sub?!). But some of his second-half instructions seemed to lack the killer instinct to finish off Chievo and left them in this match. That and some of his subs were late and not terribly strategic (beyond the Brazzo injury replacement).

Eirik

Feb 14, 2007
    i'm happy with our players' efforts this evening. with a bit of a weakened starters we managed to get 3 points. and winning on a bad day, considering the lack of high-profiled players, is a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)