Serie A: Fiorentina Vs Juventus [October 07 2007] (31 Viewers)

Dec 26, 2004
My random thoughts for Viola game.

- Molinaro played his best game so far... was very solid defensively and his ball control is improving at least he didn't give me the impression that he won't to get rid of the ball as soon as he recieve like he did against Torino.

- Iaquinta's goal was really great... 90% of strikers would shoot sky high or at the keeper's foot in same situations.

- Chiellini is really solid at CB and he can only improve... I can easily imagine him with the captin armband after 4-5 years.

- Sali was the worst player on the field IMO... let's only pray for a quick recovery of Marco and Camo.

- Buffon was... OK... I won't add anything.

- The mystery of Tiago continues... I felt CR will certainly introduce him to regain control of the midfield but he opt to change strickers which wasn't a very smart call... CR should explain why he can't depend on our most expensive transfer.

- Fiorentina looked like a very desprate team near the middle of 2nd half... I never thought they might score but shit happens... hope it won't effect Nicola's confidence as he had overall a good game.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
best defensive performance of the season...very very lucky point for Fiorentina...Vinnie and Almiron played really well...we had chances to close the game in the 2nd half but we wasted them...

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Viola without Toni look half the side they were with him. Usually, when we're 1-0 up against a big or semi-big team on away turf, it's a real sweat. Today's game I wasn't worried they'd equalize one bit.
Viola appeared completely harmless to me and they should consider themselves extremely lucky to get away with a draw. They will not be a serious contender for fourth place.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
....but what we really need for the future is a centre midfield player to control the tempo of our play keep the ball moving sensibly and produce the killer pass when required we need a bit more guile and intelligence in the centre of the field.
But we have Tiago for this role and he is not being used. Other than that, very good match analysis.

Molinaro: now I see why everyone is praising this dude, this was my first match to watch his entire game, and I am very impressed, he is a great tackler, does it in a very clean way. Thou he is very bad offensively, he must stay back and shouldn't pass the middle of the field, and let Chiellini go forward from the center and he should cover his place when it is needed. He is a bad crosser and a bad passer, but a solid defender! 6.5
Also very good analysis. It seems you too enjoyed the forward runs that Chiellini did in the middle. Yes, that was due to Molinaro covering for him and it seems he trusted Legrottaglie also.

Fiorentina were poor and that may partly be to the fact that they played 120 minutes and more on thursday whilst we had the week off
We should always take advantage of this. All big teams play in Europe nowadays and we take a rest. After Christmas we might find ourselves just like the others in terms of resting and that might affect us.

Viola without Toni look half the side they were with him. Usually, when we're 1-0 up against a big or semi-big team on away turf, it's a real sweat. Today's game I wasn't worried they'd equalize one bit.
Viola appeared completely harmless to me and they should consider themselves extremely lucky to get away with a draw. They will not be a serious contender for fourth place.
I think as Dennis said, it is because of the game they played in the UEFA cup. I would not underestimate Fiorentina the way you did.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
^ Do you sleep ? Ever ?

Agree about post-Christmass situation, though. That's something we should be worried about. And i'll even go as far as next season. I know we'll get some new players but i'm still worried how we'll handle playing both cl and serie A (if we play cl)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
juve wasted the win in the last minutes, i was very depressed after the game,
Iaquinta was the very good , trez was not seen in this game , the defence was good , but the midfield did not create too much chances.

narchi

Jul 2, 2006
Match report..

What can I say... How bitter was that??? I am sad.. I am feeling down.. And sure as hell pissed off..

We played a good game up to the 75th minute when we started changing players.
Fiorentina were playing their game for the first 15 min then we totally took over and scored a goal. We continued to keep on the general field pressure and did not give them alot of space, mind you we were playing at their grounds.
The defence looked good.. Quite good to say the truth. The midfield was solid and converted counter attacks perfectly. Trezeguet wasted a couple of chances but thats alright and Iaquinta scored from the only chance he got.

On the 75th min, Ranieri decides to change things up. There are two sides of this change, one is better than the other, though both are bad.
First side: Nedved ran alot and needed to be subbed.. The problem is no midfielders with deffensive abilities, so he opt for a forward (WRONG, Tiago should've came in).
Second side: Ranieri was greedy, so us doing well in counters and wanted to score another goal.

Then it was Del Piero for Iaquinta: First of all Del Piero is not in the right mentality now, so when a player is not in the right mentality he'll need few moments longer to grab the match's tempo. Personally I would've continued playing Iaquinta.

What has happenned, Palladino who literally cannot defence (he's a forward) was given duties to cover for Nedved who was doing a brilliant job deffending and filtering all the left side. Tiago who has better defensive abilities, not optimum though, would have been a far better choice. And then if he wanted to replace Iaquinta, Palldino could've come up then..

The other problem is, it was so clear that after Palladino came in the midfield became weak. What was ranieri's reaction, bring in DP for Iaquinta!! Very bad call.. He should've brought in Tiago for Iaquinta to play as a midfielder.

Ratings:
Buffon: Brilliant saves especially the one from the deflection, and almost saved the PK 7.5
Grygera: Solid game: 6.5
Legro: Solid game, the PK was very difficult and some what questionable since he was in the air and was not intentional.. Struck from less than a couple of meters away. He should've kept his arms more tightened. But for some reason even if that was the case I feel the ref would still have called it a PK. 6.5
Chiellini: Very strong.. Very solid 7
Molinaro: A not bad game, improving, but has to work more.. 6
Salihamdizic: Good work in the midfield, not so many runs on the side though. 6
Nocerino: Ddi well today. The position in the centre suits him alot. 7
Almiron: Played a very good first half and an ok second half.. 6.5
nedved: Very good game.. Should've shot that ball rather than passing it to trezeguet.. 7
Iaquinta: Another good performance from our #9 .. Scored a nice goal too 8 MOM
Trezeguet: Good work out.. Played well as a target man.. 6.5

Subs:
palladino: 6 tried.. but not his position
Dp: N/A

Ranieri: Good starting 11, bad subs.. 5
Great comment, but I would change only one point. He shouldn't take out Iaquinta, because he was our strongest player. When CR do the second substitution he should take out Trez and put in Tiago. Then he should put Tiago in the midfield and Palla in attack. In that case I think that we will have all 3 points.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Anyone expected this? :p

Collina Defends Referee For Allowing Iaquinta Goal

Serie A referee designator Pierluigi Collina has defended the decision by referee Nicola Rizzoli to allow Vincenzo Iaquinta’s goal against Fiorentina to stand.

Iaquinta put Juventus into the lead at the Stadio Franchi with a precise curling shot from the edge of the area. However David Trezeguet, who was standing in an offside position, seemed to run across the line of Sebastien Frey, thus blocking the goalkeeper’s view.

Rizzoli allowed the goal to stand and Fiorentina midfielder Marco Donadel was furious after the game during his post-match interview. However Collina has hinted that Rizzoli made the right decision.

“The only person who could tell us beyond any doubt is Frey as he knows if Trezeguet disturbed him,” Collina said on RAI’s Domenica Sportiva.

“It’s a very complicated situation as if the referee’s assistant had flagged nobody would have said anything, but Trezeguet’s position is only punishable when he disturbs Frey.

“It’s all about the way the rules are interpreted. The referee has to make a decision and take responsibility so his discretion plays a vital role.”

Fiorentina hit back to earn a point after Adrian Mutu scored a penalty in the 88th minute.

goal.com

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Channel 4 is better:

Collina defends Trez goal
Monday 8 October, 2007
Referee designator Pierluigi Collina defends Nicola Rizzoli’s decision to allow Juventus’ goal against Fiorentina and La Gazzetta dello Sport agrees.

The Viola were outraged as David Trezeguet seemed to block goalkeeper Sebastien Frey’s vision while standing offside as Vincenzo Iaquinta fired home.

Rizzoli allowed the goal to stand claiming that the French striker hadn’t interfered with play and Collina admits that it is a tough rule to apply.

“The only person who could tell us beyond any doubt is Frey as he knows if Trezeguet disturbed him,” Collina explained on Domenica Sportiva.

“It’s a very complicated situation as if the referee’s assistant had flagged nobody would have said anything, but Trezeguet’s position is only punishable when he disturbs Frey.

“It’s all about the way the rules are interpreted,” the Bologna native continued.

“The referee has to make a decision and take responsibility so his discretion plays a vital role.”

Fiorentina boss Cesare Prandelli won plaudits from the calcio community by refusing to question Rizzoli’s verdict.

Meanwhile, La Gazzetta dello Sport has studied images from Frey's point of view and believes that the French shot-stopper's view may have been impeded by teammate Alessandro Gamberini.

Slow motion replays also indicate that Trezeguet arrived in front of Frey after the ball had passed him and therefore couldn't have blocked Frey illegally.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Nope, they humiliated us enough, the fans will always call us Ju-be
and from now on, the masterminds of calciopoli have the total control of the league,
they dont want any strange talks and disturbions, they are pleased with the situation, any more conspiracy theories would further damage the entire calcio and them indirectly, since everybody is pleased with the situation, there is no reason to argue...

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Also very good analysis. It seems you too enjoyed the forward runs that Chiellini did in the middle. Yes, that was due to Molinaro covering for him and it seems he trusted Legrottaglie also.
Chiellini is a very good at left back he reminds me a lot of Zambrotta, I would prefer him there, but I would like also to see Molinaro play, he ruined Fiorentina's attacks many times, his work maybe wasn't that noticed, but if he didn't do those we could be in trouble. If Molinaro didn't run forward and lose the all their, I would even rate him the man of the match. btw, can he play at the right side also?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
exactly! He is defending his men, to keep their confidence up.
He certainly is but yesterday in Domenica Sportiva he did attack many ref calls from this year's serieA matches and especially the calls against Juventus.
Something strange is indeed happening in Rai and this particular show. Back in the old days they were always finding suspicious situations in Juve matches and they were putting only minor attention to the calls against us.
Now, so far, their referee guest and all the other guests almost always support the refs for the calls in our favor and they always attack the calls against Juve (one of the penalties for Cagliari, Di Natale's offside goal, Totti's offside goal )

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
People should always learn from their mistakes but ranieri, it seems has not learnt from his and pprobably never would.

As Chelsea manager, against Monaco, they were leading 1-0 when for some reason he decided to take off Hasselbaink and of cos Monaco went on and won the game 3-1

Today, there was absolutely no need to take off Iaquinta especially but he did and that may have cost us 2 points.

Tactics shmatics, if you are in control of a game there is no need to change things especailly take off the 2 counter attacking threats we have.

Fiorentina were poor and that may partly be to the fact that they played 120 minutes and more on thursday whilst we had the week off

Why does Almiron only play 1 half and be completely invisible in the second half? How old is he really?

I also do not like his passes as they usually go in the general direction of his intened target, not exactly to the intended target.

As for the Dp situation, it should be resolved now 1 way or the other as it cannot be helping team morale at all.

It is still the best dispaly I have seen us play give this season and I thought the defence did alright but then again Fiorentina's attack was impotent.

Leave Chiellini in the centre and allow Molinaro to either blossom on the left or place Salihamidic there as he is no midfielder and Grygera was immense at right back
spot on :tup:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
^ Do you sleep ? Ever ?

Agree about post-Christmass situation, though. That's something we should be worried about. And i'll even go as far as next season. I know we'll get some new players but i'm still worried how we'll handle playing both cl and serie A (if we play cl)
When I posted that I had just woken up, eating my breakfast before going to work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)