[Serie A] Fiorentina - Juventus (39 Viewers)

jussiut

Feb 22, 2005
Uhh, I don't fully understand you people. Juve didn't play extremely well tonight - yes, we showed some world class spirit by equalizing three times but two of those goals were purely the fault of the Viola keeper.

Our defence was very shaky and it brought back all the memories from the last season. Besides the three goals we conceded Fiorentina had opportunities for three more. So our defence was crap.

Midfield was ok, but the absence of Emo and the lack of form of Neddy was clearly visible. Fiorentina was able to run through our midfield quite a few times when they counter-attacked.

You can't complain about our forwards. All of them did their job well. Three goals, despite the goalkeeping errors is a good achievement and we had chances to score more.

Ratings:

Buffon 6.0 - None of the goals were his fault. He made one mistake in the corner situation but that was it. Didn't need to save many shots.

Birindelli 5.5 - I don't actually really remember his performance, but I believe the first goal was made next to him. The lack of first team football is obviously visible.

Thuram 5.0 - He was pretty bad tonight, especially in the set pieces. Not a good game by any means.

Cannavaro 7.0 - He was, surprise surprise, solid once again. It's hard to really say which one's fault, Thuram's or Canna's the goals were, but I believe they were Thuram's men who did the goals for Viola.

Zambrotta 7.0 - He did a lot more offensive runs in this game than in many previous matches. Was very active and creative.

Tacchinardi 6.0 - Don't really remember him. Was OK but didn't do anything special either.

Pessotto 6.0 - He had to play in a bit akward position for him so he wasn't as solid as usual but he had an OK first half. The sub was tactical and had nothing to do with his performance.

Appiah
- played only about ten minutes so it's hard to rate him. He actually was pretty good during the last minutes what I saw.

Camoranesi 7.0 - Was as good as Zambrotta. He was active and engineered our attacks quite a few times. A good game.

Nedved 6.0 - He didn't do really much on the pitch. He's clearly not in his best form and that's understandable.

Zalayeta 7.0 - A nice backheel and a lot of work. He was good.

Del Piero 7.0 - All-around a good game by Del Piero. The first goal was a nice curving shot with a nasty bounce even though the goalkeeper can blame himself for letting it in also. Accurate passes and active participation to the attack.

Zlatan 7.5 - Zlatan must have a high rating because of his two goals and for the same reason he's Juve's man of the match. The first goal was quite a fluke but he didn't screw the chance up. The second goal was really great individual performance. He still could improve his passing and team work as in some situations he loses the ball a little bit foolishly but I don't complain. A great player and he finally scored after a little break.

--------------------------

This was NOT a good game since we didn't win. Defence sucked and it's a shame since the decisive Liverpool game is coming up. Still we showed our fighting spirit and came even three times. Just too bad we couldn't capitalize the Milan defeat to our own advantage.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I just saw the goals, amateur mistakes by Thuram....unacceptable

I am afraid Liverpool will take advantage of such weak points we have and let us kiss the CL goodbye

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
The EPL isn't known as the set play league for nothing, our weakness was all too evident. Liverpool we be looking to use this weapon against us.
Yeah very true, and Sami Hyypia is about the most dominant (in the air) player possible, always a danger at set pieces.. am more than a bit worried. I still think we have about a 60% chance of going through.. we're slight favourites in my eyes

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I am afraid to say it but I am with you Tom, I am not able to give us more than this chance to go through. The problem is set pieces, it seems this is our latest problem or the lates weakness that has appeared

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
milan draw,so did we.

from one point,we were lucky because if milan had won,we would be crying now.

but on the other hand,we are sooooooo stupid to let this chance go,and this may cost us a lot.
2 pnts difference would be simply the best thing for us right now,but we can't complain because we could easily be 1 pnt behind too :scared:

i am very happy that we managed to score 3 goals-it's been a while-
i am also very happy for both zlatan and ale,
but the damn defence scares me to death now for the liverpool match.
i hope that our attack can keep this record...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well, we are lucky Dino Zoff is able to have such a great, reliable keeper to protect his goal. Without the help of Cejas we would have lost, badly. Another half-ass performance for the second time in a week, and I really do not know what to expect from this team next.

The weakness of Juventus is there for all to see; we cannot defend on crosses and set pieces. Every single time Fiorentina had a free kick or corner they threatened us. Almost every cross La Viola played into our box it was a worrying event because we are not at all comfortable in dealing with high balls. Against Liverpool this same scenario cost us, and it will happen again. With a keeper whose weakness is crosses and a defense who, for some reason, disappears whenever the ball is in the air, we are bound to let in goals as trivial as tonight. Whether it be our players cannot handle it, or Capello is not doing enough work, I don't know. That problem needs to be fixed.

We also saw tonight how bad the defense plays without Emerson. Again we see why he is the key player, one we cannot do without. Perhaps our defense is just not as good as people think, simply because Emerson does so much work in midfield and stops the opposition before they can trouble the defense. Tonight we were without him and it showed because our midfield was all over the place and far from stable. We cannot keep conceding the midfield like we have in the past few matches.

Buffon made a few nice saves and I cannot blame him for the sorry defending.

Birindelli was pretty useless and not an acceptable replacement for Zebina- that sounds like a joke..

Thuram, where is your brain? What happened to you? This was Thuram's worst performance of the entire season and if he continues like this we need a replacement. Thuram was basically at fault for all three goals; the first he was caught out of position; the second he, for some reason, decided to back away from Chiellini and let the latter head past Buffon; the third was just bad marking on Danielli. He's starting to make mistakes like he did last season and it's costing us, two games running.

Cannavaro was extremely solid compared to his French partner.

Zambrotta was good going forward, however he made mistakes defending, especially getting caught out of position.

Camoranesi had a good performance and was our best midfielder on the night. In the second half he played in the middle with Tacchinardi and did a good job covering. Not sure where I like him to play yet..

Tacchinardi was not bad however he is certainly not a replacement for Emerson. Much better than Blasi though.

Pessotto was not as good tonight as he was on Tuesday, not being very effective and making mistakes.

Nedved was running well however he was not that involved with the match. In the second half Capello stuck Pavel out on the right flank and he did not succeed in that role.

Del Piero was getting involved and he was lucky Cejas was in goal for Fiorentina.

Ibrahimovic was great, one of his best performances of the season. Zlatan's second goal was top class, especially the buildup.

Zalayeta played well when he came on and his backheel to Zlatan was class.

Montero was not bad and watched as Thuram was making the mistakes- how ironic.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, it was a bit scary in how Fiorentina's first two goals were almost mirror images of the two we gave up against Liverpool just a few days earlier. This match could have turned out worse, but we should expect better.

The good
- Milan only managed a draw with Brescia's late equalizer. It's about time! :D Actually, both Milan and Juve squads were significantly impacted by suspensions and injuries today. This will be the wildcard in the remaining weeks that may determine who wins the Scudetto... and/or the CL.
- Zlatan broke his duck. It was only a matter of time before his bad luck of hitting only crossbars, etc., would run out. Hopefully this will be a slight boost to his confidence (but not too much of a boost, as I don't want to see him return to his selfish ways again).
- We showed offensive fight and a strong determination to come back. Granted, Fiorentina helped us out with some weak goalkeeping for the first two goals. But when's the last time we scored three in an away match? (Answer: Sept. 22, 2004 at Sampdoria.)
- Zambro was an offensive threat today. This is something he did well at almost all season last year, but he hasn't shown much of that this season so far.
- Appiah came in for a few minutes and actually did not inflict any harm. He even had some half-way decent passes and decisions. Unbelievable.

The bad
- Unfortunately, it was pretty clear that we missed Zebina out there today. Wasn't sure I'd ever say that lately.
- Nedved looked anemic. Late in the match, there was one shot that he should have pounded for the 4-3 lead ... but he could only fumble with a dribbler. He flailed around a lot, but couldn't really contribute. He looks like he's a bit out of form still from his injuries.
- We ended the match exchanging long ball volleys rather than putting together a patient attack.

The ugly
- Set pieces defense. Missed assignments. Line confusion. Just horrible. About the only good thing in this match was when they effectively all pulled the offside trap on a Fiorentina free kick in the second half, which was a good decision and everyone was at least on board with it. But the rest was atrocious.
- Cejas. I don't know what's worse for us: giving up three goals, or being able to stay in the game because of some really bad blunders by the opposing keeper.
- Midfield passing. We had way too many passes that simply overshot the intended target, rolling past the touchline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)