[SERIE A] F.C. Genoa 3-2 JUVENTUS (April 11th 2009) (8 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
we get it Andy,

anyway I don't really look at stats but when I see Momo on the pitch I feel more comfortable defensively when he's on the pitch.
Again, I'm not claiming anything here. People are saying they're using stats to prove certain notions are correct, and I'm just providing more stats to fuel the discussion.

Don't shoot the messenger. But of course considering Tiago has the best win record out of all our midfielders with a decent number of appearances people will hate that fact.

What happened today? Poulsen and Marchisio recorded another loss while Tiago didn't even play.

If certain individuals want to use stats to justify their opinions, well, they better be weary of the consequences.

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
Poulsen was robbed of an amazing assist today. The pass he gave to Iaquinta, when Iaquinta's goal was disallowed for offside, is something Tiago can't do even in a video game.
Poulsen adds more than Tiago both offensively and defensively, which says a lot about the way Tiago plays at Juve, because Tiago is technically superior to Poulsen.
It's not a coincidence that our overall offense runs smoother when tiago is on, you can go and deny that and give me numbers, but if you watch all of our games with tiago on except Bologna's game and maybe even roma's, you'll see how all our attack runs through him, he might not make the final assist nor score the decisive goal, he makes things smoother overall.

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
Again, I'm not claiming anything here. People are saying they're using stats to prove certain notions are correct, and I'm just providing more stats to fuel the discussion.

Don't shoot the messenger. But of course considering Tiago has the best win record out of all our midfielders with a decent number of appearances people will hate that fact.

What happened today? Poulsen and Marchisio recorded another loss while Tiago didn't even play.

Yeah still tiago got shit over at his thread, seems like he wasn't being manly enough for juventus while sitting on the bench :frown:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's not a coincidence that our overall offense runs smoother when tiago is on, you can go and deny that and give me numbers, but if you watch all of our games with tiago on except Bologna's game and maybe even roma's, you'll see how all our attack runs through him, he might not make the final assist nor score the decisive goal, he makes things smoother overall.
I think there is some level of truth to this.

If you use statistics all the time to back up certain opinions, well, the stats say Tiago in the team provides results.

I'm sorry. But that's just the fact of the matter.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
You should reply to Alen about stats. I rarely use them. I was talking about the defensive part of our game PERIOD. I think Momo played twice as more games than Tiago so i guess it's normal Tiago's winning % is higher.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You should reply to Alen about stats. I rarely use them. I was talking about the defensive part of our game PERIOD. I think Momo played twice as more games than Tiago so i guess it's normal Tiago's winning % is higher.
We really, REALLY, shouldn't compare Sissoko and Tiago. It's a huge insult to Momo.
Not really. The variance of the results while Tiago was fielded is much lower than the variance of the matches Sissoko has played. That simply means that, when Tiago has played, the results have been more consistent to the upside for us. If anything, that only helps the argument for the Portuguese player.

Again, I'm not saying these stats formulate my opinion of the player, but I'm simply providing the truth behind the numbers if posters want to use statistics to prove certain things.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Well I guess I'll stick with what I see on the pitch over some stats. I always said you can't base your opinions ONLY on stats.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well I guess I'll stick with what I see on the pitch over some stats. I always said you can't base your opinions ONLY on stats.
That is true, and I agree. But if we use statistics for certain matters, then we have to apply the same statistical method to all players and discussion, if we want a fair discussion, that is.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
What our eyes catch at each and every match we watch are also stats.
But a far more greater amount of stats than a single piece of paper can show.
Singular stats and statistics might be misleading, because they only present a part of the truth.
They should only be used to make some specific points...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What our eyes catch at each and every match we watch are almost stats.
But a far more greater amount of stats than a single piece of paper can show.
Singular stats and statistics might be misleading, because they only present a part of the truth.
They should only be used to make some specific points...
Okay, but then a natural bias exists while using statistics, geared towards one's own opinions of the matter. If they believe in one theory and the statistics back that theory up, they will promote those statistics. But if the opposite is true and the stats don't back up their opinion, then they won't even mention them.

So that's really a major problem. As I said, if you use statistics to prove a certain point, then you must apply those stats to not only all cases, but also all studies.

If we take probability theory as a measure of how the team should be conducted, one has to admit that Tiago should be fielded. That's what the stats say.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
That is true, and I agree. But if we use statistics for certain matters, then we have to apply the same statistical method to all players and discussion, if we want a fair discussion, that is.
well that's the point, the only stats I look at are goals, assists but even those tend to be deceitful at times depending on the team the player's with and championship he's in.

I used an observation and concluded that our defence looks more solid with Momo on the pitch. Stats can say what they want and prove otherwise but for me I feel more comfortable with him on the pitch for the defensive part of the game.

That'a all.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
well that's the point, the only stats I look at are goals, assists but even those tend to be deceitful at times depending on the team the player's with and championship he's in.

I used an observation and concluded that our defence looks more solid with Momo on the pitch. Stats can say what they want and prove otherwise but for me I feel more comfortable with him on the pitch for the defensive part of the game.

That'a all.
I'm not directing my posts at you per se, Mark. I agree that we look better defensively with Momo on the pitch. That is obvious.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I know Andy, Alen's busy atm and I'm just in a posting mood while watching the Habs vs the Pens. Great game by Price so far btw. :D and f*ck I wanted Franzen(11 years) here so I guess we'll go for option 1. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)