[SERIE A] Catania 1-2 JUVENTUS (02/8/09) (3 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I just can't understand how folk can be anything other than jubilant at winning in that fashion today.

To win the league, you have to win games when the odds are against you.

A massive amount of effort from the players, combined with a little luck, got a great result.
Perhaps because we're tired of tight matches that depend on certain players and how Ranieri minimally screws up the team?

Riding on luck only gets one so far.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Ranieris farewell party?
:party:
Lol.
No, i really think that with our strongest starting XI we can finish this season in great fashion.
If we get all our best players back and we have them fit till the end of the season, then we will have one more advantage over the other teams. Players like Zebina (some dislike him but i believe he's a huge improvement over Grygera), Tiago, Camoranesi and Trezeguet didn't play much, or at all. When the most decisive part of the season will come and the other teams' players will get more tired as the season goes on, we'll have almost half of our team fresh. With players like Camo, Zebina, Tiago and hopefully Giovinco, you're not only getting more quality in the team, but you'll also have players whos physical condition will be on a higher level than the one of the other players in their position. Out of the maximum 3000 minutes of play time in this season's 33 matches (so far), Chiellini played "only" 1900 minutes, so he also shouldn't be tired come the last 2 months of the season. Poulsen, Trez, Iaquinta, Marchisio and Mellberg also played less than 50% of the season so far, so we'll have fresh legs on the bench. This will give as an opportunity to rest even the players who played most of the season, like Amauri, Del Piero, Nedved, Sissoko or Legrottaglie.

Now it's up to the medical team and to luck. We must have our players fit. If we do that we'll have a very strong and fresh team for the most important months of the season.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
comment by ranieri which could explain, why he did go for poulsen:

“No, our problem is that we give goals away too cheaply and at times we lose our unity. Sooner or later we do get a goal.”

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I can accept a performance like the one we had to witness yesterday, and gleefully take the 3 points, when it doesn't become the norm or convention. Yesterday's performance against a vastly inferior team has been repeated time and time again this seaon. I have had the opportunity to watch most of Juve's games this season, in both the Serie A and Champions League, and while a lot of you were showering the players and coach with praise when we went on that mini winning streak, beating Real Madrid twice, I was quietly cursing our management and coach, because our limitations and inconsistency were all to evident and clear, even during that period. We have not dominated a single game this season, with the excpetion of the Udinese game in the 1st round, which we managed to win 1-0. In all our other matches, we have afforded our opponents a look in, sometimes more than that, risking throwing it all away, whether it be a point or 3 points! We have conceded too many soft goals, and too many late goals. Could someone please tell me how many games have we dominated for the entire 90 minutes, or seemed to be in control of and guaranteed a comfortable victory? I would say 5 at most, and the Udinese game is the one that clearly comes to mind. However, even during that magic spell, that marvelous period when we were winning games, we were very inconsistent and patchy for large chunks of the games, only relying on a stroke of genius from Del Piero, or one of his magical free kicks. The cracks are there for all to see, it is blatantly obvious.

The reason we lie 2nd in the league owes much more to the mediocrity of the league, rather than owing to our own strength. I have been watching Serie A since the 1993-1994 season, and I can safely say that this Juve team would struggle to even finish in the top 4 in seasons gone by. We keep talking about buying players to fit the formation, but what formation are we actually talking about? Please stop kidding yourselves! We have 2 incompetent wingbacks, a has been winger, one who is constantly injured, and one who shouldn't even be wearing a Juve shirt. Ranieri keeps utilizing the 4-4-2 formation, because we have the players for it or so it seems, as some of you would argue. Answer me this: Are Grygera, Molinaro, Nedved, and Marchionni those players? Should they even be playing? Grygera is a disaster, Marchionni is utterly useless, Nedved is past it, and Molinaro, while hardworking and solid, is hardly a quality LB. Hence, the question which begs itself, do we really need to be adopting a 4-4-2 formation?

I sincerely believe we will finish in the top 3 this year, not so much on merit but rather due to the shortcomings and inconsistency of our opponents. As for the CL, I hope Chelsea really have a bad day, and that Essien isn't fit and available when we take them on, otherwise we will get creamed, pasted, hammered, nailed, call it whatever you want!

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I am planning to compile a list of our 20 best players over the last 20 years, as wel as listing the 20 worst ones during that same period.

I would also like to draw up a formation of the best and worst 11 during that same time frame. Anyone wanting to contribute may send me a PM with their thoughts and ideas on who should be included on those lists.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I can accept a performance like the one we had to witness yesterday, and gleefully take the 3 points, when it doesn't become the norm or convention. Yesterday's performance against a vastly inferior team has been repeated time and time again this seaon. I have had the opportunity to watch most of Juve's games this season, in both the Serie A and Champions League, and while a lot of you were showering the players and coach with praise when we went on that mini winning streak, beating Real Madrid twice, I was quietly cursing our management and coach, because our limitations and inconsistency were all to evident and clear, even during that period. We have not dominated a single game this season, with the excpetion of the Udinese game in the 1st round, which we managed to win 1-0. In all our other matches, we have afforded our opponents a look in, sometimes more than that, risking throwing it all away, whether it be a point or 3 points! We have conceded too many soft goals, and too many late goals. Could someone please tell me how many games have we dominated for the entire 90 minutes, or seemed to be in control of and guaranteed a comfortable victory? I would say 5 at most, and the Udinese game is the one that clearly comes to mind. However, even during that magic spell, that marvelous period when we were winning games, we were very inconsistent and patchy for large chunks of the games, only relying on a stroke of genius from Del Piero, or one of his magical free kicks. The cracks are there for all to see, it is blatantly obvious.

The reason we lie 2nd in the league owes much more to the mediocrity of the league, rather than owing to our own strength. I have been watching Serie A since the 1993-1994 season, and I can safely say that this Juve team would struggle to even finish in the top 4 in seasons gone by. We keep talking about buying players to fit the formation, but what formation are we actually talking about? Please stop kidding yourselves! We have 2 incompetent wingbacks, a has been winger, one who is constantly injured, and one who shouldn't even be wearing a Juve shirt. Ranieri keeps utilizing the 4-4-2 formation, because we have the players for it or so it seems, as some of you would argue. Answer me this: Are Grygera, Molinaro, Nedved, and Marchionni those players? Should they even be playing? Grygera is a disaster, Marchionni is utterly useless, Nedved is past it, and Molinaro, while hardworking and solid, is hardly a quality LB. Hence, the question which begs itself, do we really need to be adopting a 4-4-2 formation?

I sincerely believe we will finish in the top 3 this year, not so much on merit but rather due to the shortcomings and inconsistency of our opponents. As for the CL, I hope Chelsea really have a bad day, and that Essien isn't fit and available when we take them on, otherwise we will get creamed, pasted, hammered, nailed, call it whatever you want!
:tup: :beer: :beer:

that sums things up pretty well

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006

Essien or no essien we can beat chelsea. Our best starting 11 can take on any team, yes we will need a bit of luck, but it's definitely not out of the question.

dogsarecute

Aug 7, 2008

You need to realise that after our relegation, we lost a lot of key players, and they will take time to be replaced. Yes Grygera and Molinaro are not world-class, but how many are there in the world? For Molinaro's position, I only rate Evra as truly better than him. Grygera is probably brought in as an utility player because he can play CB and RB. Zebina is supposed to be first-choice. Again, world-class right backs do not cost less than 30 million. Marchionni is a sub and should be treated as such. The injury situation is clearly the main culprit here. Most teams suffer when their influential player is out. Liverpool without Torres and Alonso looks devoid of ideas; Chelsea leaks goals when either Carvalho or Terry is not playing; Inter plays badly when Ibrahimovic is not available. We do not have Camoranesi for most of the season; Chiellini is not always present, as is Buffon. If we do not have the likes of Mellberg, Grygera, Sali, Marchionni, we will be playing with youth-team players, which most of you certainly has no faith in.

If we are to buy only the best in the world, we will need 200 million:
Diego-30 million
Zapata-30 million
Ribery-50 million
Suitable Nedved replacement-25 million
Evra-not for sale
Daniel Alves/Sagna- 30+ million

Clearly, the amount we have to spend will be obscene. Considering the injury crisis, I will not rule out injuries to these buys as well, which means that we will still need the Marchionnis and Grygeras. Not to mention that if we do not have Amauri, then an injury to Del Piero means that we do not have a creative striker. This is why Ranieri was brought in. He may have won no major trophies, but he knows how to build a team and is good with young players which is what we have. We have basically covered all our bases with regards to reserves and we can start building up on the first-team.

Ranieri's gameplan is clearly not about possession but about making the most damaging moves. You certainly noticed how deadly the team is once a chance presents itself. There is no need to play like Liverpool or Arsenal. Heck, Liverpool with all their possession looks even more boring than Juventus because they are passing around with no real purpose. We play counter-attacking style and direct football, which means that we will lose possession often because of the poor technical abilities of some players. However, we always manage to conjure up chances, which means that the system works.

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
Lol.
No, i really think that with our strongest starting XI we can finish this season in great fashion.
If we get all our best players back and we have them fit till the end of the season, then we will have one more advantage over the other teams. Players like Zebina (some dislike him but i believe he's a huge improvement over Grygera), Tiago, Camoranesi and Trezeguet didn't play much, or at all. When the most decisive part of the season will come and the other teams' players will get more tired as the season goes on, we'll have almost half of our team fresh. With players like Camo, Zebina, Tiago and hopefully Giovinco, you're not only getting more quality in the team, but you'll also have players whos physical condition will be on a higher level than the one of the other players in their position. Out of the maximum 3000 minutes of play time in this season's 33 matches (so far), Chiellini played "only" 1900 minutes, so he also shouldn't be tired come the last 2 months of the season. Poulsen, Trez, Iaquinta, Marchisio and Mellberg also played less than 50% of the season so far, so we'll have fresh legs on the bench. This will give as an opportunity to rest even the players who played most of the season, like Amauri, Del Piero, Nedved, Sissoko or Legrottaglie.

Now it's up to the medical team and to luck. We must have our players fit. If we do that we'll have a very strong and fresh team for the most important months of the season.
:tup: I like this post, it brings so much hope! :D
What I love most about this team is the unity. Some of these players coming in from the bench really motivated and there's only Del piero and sometimes Nedved complaining when taken of. Tiago proved again that he has settled down at Juve and he brings balance to midfield. Screw Alonso.
And what a player Camo is, setting up a goal as soon as he came back. Cassano and his idiots are next. Bring them on!

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Regardless of your thoughts on this game, the players and Ranieri, you have to agree that this game had tons of comedy value. I couldn't help myself from laughing at the whole scenario, the subs, Iaquinta and Poulsen's last minute winner.

Very entertaining game.

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
To some who still hate this morning cos of CR etc. I would suggest you to read posts again from Cronios and Alan.

Here are some stats for everybody who cares:

in 1st half we had 4 shots on goal only (one of them was goal by IQ)

in second half we had 14 shots. From 70-80 min we had 4 shots

last 10 minutes since Poulsen got in we had 6 shots on goal

so in last 20 minutes of game we had more shots than in 70 minutes.

:bigscarf:

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
fresh from press

Monday 9 February
Gazzetta dello Sport
It’s one Juve of 10 men – Iaquinta scores and is sent off
The Bianconeri at a numerical disadvantage from the 12th minute
They beat Catania and overtake Milan to return to second place

Kaka is out and will miss the derby – Nesta could make it
Gila and Frey take Fiorentina fourth
Palermo – what a jump!
Atalanta – what a hit!

Corriere dello Sport
Juve – what determination!
Roma and Palermo put on a show
Milan are without Kaka for the derby – He could be out for a month

Tuttosport
Proud Juve
Super Roma and Fiorentina on course for Europe
Ventola makes Torino dream
Milan lose Kaka – He’s out for 15 days

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Perhaps because we're tired of tight matches that depend on certain players and how Ranieri minimally screws up the team?

Riding on luck only gets one so far.
If that game had followed the same pattern and we played the whole game with 11 men, I woud agree with you.

I just find it ridiculous that folk complain about a game we won despite playing 78 minutes a man short.

Lol.

:tup:

To some who still hate this morning cos of CR etc. I would suggest you to read posts again from Cronios and Alan.

Here are some stats for everybody who cares:

in 1st half we had 4 shots on goal only (one of them was goal by IQ)

in second half we had 14 shots. From 70-80 min we had 4 shots

last 10 minutes since Poulsen got in we had 6 shots on goal

so in last 20 minutes of game we had more shots than in 70 minutes.

:bigscarf:

No, fuck RUINeri.

He had the team playing for a draw. :rolleyes:

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
love goal.com's rating on terlizzi

i think thats the lowest score i have ever seen from a goal match report
Ive seen a 1 for some dude from Ghana called Pimpong after the Azzuri match at World Cup 06. I almost shat myself with laughter . He came on as a sub even and still managed that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)