Serie A 2019/20 (14 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
So Inda is signing Giroud, Spinazzola, Ashley Young, and Eriksen all in one January. Conte is really gunning for that EL trophy.
I bet he's still gonna bitch about not signing enough players despite signing Giroud, Spinazzola, Young, Eriksen, Sensi, Barella, Lukaku, Lazaro, Godin, Sanchez, Biraghi.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh. Tonali is the highest potential young Italian since Verratti. I’d prefer we take chances on such players, as they are the type to stay here their entire career. It could fail, but you could also end up with a world class player for a decade.

And the difference between Pogba and Eriksen is nowhere near big enough to make missing out on Tonali worthwhile. Eriksen has performed significantly better in the PL for the last 3 years.
Did he though? Just picked out some basic statistical comparisons between the two.
Eriksen was clearly better in 2016-17 (although Pogba has a higher rating), both had an even season in 2017-18 while Pogba was better in 2018-19.
Now just looking at stats never gives the whole picture, but I think Pogba numbers show enough to me that he hasn't been overshadowed by Eriksen for the last 2 seasons.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.14.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.13.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.13.37 PM.png

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I bet he's still gonna bitch about not signing enough players despite signing Giroud, Spinazzola, Young, Eriksen, Sensi, Barella, Lukaku, Lazaro, Godin, Sanchez, Biraghi.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he though? Just picked out some basic statistical comparisons between the two.
Eriksen was clearly better in 2016-17 (although Pogba has a higher rating), both had an even season in 2017-18 while Pogba was better in 2018-19.
Now just looking at stats never gives the whole picture, but I think Pogba numbers show enough to me that he hasn't been overshadowed by Eriksen for the last 2 seasons.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.14.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.13.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.13.37 PM.png
Eriksen has performed better in CL too.

Pogba while his stats look good, takes penalties, which mids rarely do, and he wouldn’t do here ever. 7 or 8 of his goals the one season were penalties iirc. Dribbles and shot attempts also score highly in the who scored rating regardless of accuracy of shots and whether dribbles led to anything.

Add to that, things that don’t show up on the stat sheet like effort, Pogba fails badly in. He rarely tracks back, he spends more time walking on the pitch than any mid in the PL (there was a stat showing this posted last year), as though he contributes Messi/Ronaldo level in attack and doesn’t need to give off-ball defensive effort. He’s a mid though and effort when the other team has possession is essential.He constantly neglects marking his man when he does deign to jog back. He’s a box to box who while at ManU doesn’t give much effort in his own half a lot of the time, which doesn’t work.

Eriksen on the other hand gives a lot of effort in Tottenham’s press when they lose possession. Will Pogba do that for Sarri? Or will he throw his hands up and pout like he does at ManU half the time they lose the ball.

I think someone like Pogba could recover in the disciplined and professional environment that Juventus has. Most problem players seem to behave better here.

Anyways, my point wasn’t that Eriksen is a superior player to Pogba, it was dispelling the notion that Eriksen isn’t anywhere near Pogba’s level and is declining while Pogba is in his prime at the height of his powers. They are similar level players, with Eriksen having performed marginally better the past few years, and Pogba’s potential top level a bit higher of the two.

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Then that means we fucked up. We give bloated contracts (renewing even) to SUPREMELY mediocre players, and then are suprised when still has a weakness in that key part of the team.
Do you think we should've started the season with 5 mids and with even less quality in the hope Eriksen doesn't extend, asks to move in Jan, and we beat out competition?

With January mystery out of the way, why are you guys so sure we weren't after his signature for summer?

- - - Updated - - -

So let him join inda and ruin his career, personally I cant see how he suits conte's system. I'd have been more worried if they signed Vidal.
Any how our midfield seems to be gelling better of late so I'm not that overly worried.
Peak coping mechanism

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Not sure its his prime
~half a year ago, he was one of the best players in a team playing in the cl final. that was definitely his prime.

ah, he's in shit form for spurs? just like half of that team. they simply lost their motivation for the club, they're exhausted and need a change of scenery. not that any of them forgot how to play football. just look at trippier: spurs desperately wanted to sell him because he looked like a finished player (and tbh i also thought he was their weakest link). now he's having a very good season with atletico.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
The Inter mercato is typical Beppster. He signs on a cheap one of the best midfielders and no one knows how and than he proceeds to sign Ashley Young, Giroud and is after Darmian.

Still, those could be good impact bench players that will help them to fight for scudetto until the end of the season.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The Inter mercato is typical Beppster. He signs on a cheap one of the best midfielders and no one knows how and than he proceeds to sign Ashley Young, Giroud and is after Darmian.

Still, those could be good impact bench players that will help them to fight for scudetto until the end of the season.
With these transfers they could even fight for the EL tbh.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
~half a year ago, he was one of the best players in a team playing in the cl final. that was definitely his prime.

ah, he's in shit form for spurs? just like half of that team. they simply lost their motivation for the club, they're exhausted and need a change of scenery. not that any of them forgot how to play football. just look at trippier: spurs desperately wanted to sell him because he looked like a finished player (and tbh i also thought he was their weakest link). now he's having a very good season with atletico.
Was last season really his peak in Spurs? Not trying to pretend to have watched tons of Spurs games, but my impression is that he hasnt been at his best for a while now, therefore my doubts about him being in his prime

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Was last season really his peak in Spurs? Not trying to pretend to have watched tons of Spurs games, but my impression is that he hasnt been at his best for a while now, therefore my doubts about him being in his prime
dunno, man. in my book, a 27 old player is still in his prime, whether his current performances reflect it or not. pro players rarely forgot how to play football at this age, and unless an injury breaks their career, they just need the right conditions to perform at their best. if he's not completely disinterested in football, conte will resurrect him, no two ways about it.

anyway, i'm done with this eriksen talk. my bottom line is that we could use him, but we picked an expensive youngster, good for us, and he picked the tottenham of serie a after the tottenham of pl, good for him.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
dunno, man. in my book, a 27 old player is still in his prime, whether his current performances reflect it or not. pro players rarely forgot how to play football at this age, and unless an injury breaks their career, they just need the right conditions to perform at their best. if he's not completely disinterested in football, conte will resurrect him, no two ways about it.

anyway, i'm done with this eriksen talk. my bottom line is that we could use him, but we picked an expensive youngster, good for us, and he picked the tottenham of serie a after the tottenham of pl, good for him.
Ok, with all due disrespect to Inter, calling them a Tottenham is too much.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

Forgetting to play football no, but players peak in different ages. Some in their early 20ies like Vidal, Raul, Torres, Rooney, others past 30 like di Natale, Pirlo (this might be a stretch :p) or Toni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)