Serie A 2017/18 (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2013
I think that's the main question here: is this Napoli an all time great team as their points tally suggests or is Serie A that easy to win in? To be honest I don't see this Napoli side being on par with sides I've seen like Ancelotti's Milan or Mourinho's Inter, not to mention the ones I haven't seen in the 90ties and before, which seems to suggest to me that the overall league quality is dropping and bottom half clubs have literally no chance to take off points Napoli
Of course they are not an all time great team. However they are a very good team that can focus solely on Serie A and are stronger than any other non Juve contender since 2012

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
not looking good tho

:lol:
well they have a brand new coach in Diego Lopez, all these results where under Rastelli. I have hope based on how hard was our game against them at the start of January, we barely managed to steal the victory and easily could've dropped points there

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
90+ point seasons are so much easier now because the atrocious level at the bottom of the league.

From the advent of 20 team league in 2004-05 until 2011-12 the bottom 5 teams in the league averaged a combined 177 points per season. 35.4 points per team.

The last 5 seasons the bottom 5 teams have averaged 161 points per season. 32.2 points per team. Last season was the first time in the 20 team era that the bottom 5 didn't accumulate 150 points. 146 points between 5 teams. 29.2 points per team. This season the bottom 5 have 93 points right now, which puts them on pace for 136 points total. 27.2 points per team.

Napoli is a very good team, but nowhere near an all-time great team. Just like 102 point Juventus was a very good team, but nowhere near an all-time great team. The competitive balance from top to bottom of leagues has vanished with skyrocketing spending at the top. For a team to be an all-time great team now requires that multiple competition success (especially CL of course). Getting to focus on a single competition when there is such a lack of quality in the lower part of the table means 90+ point totals aren't really that special now.
I don't know such precise numbers but I think this is the case for all top leagues. When you look at the teams outside of top6 they all look crap in England, Spain and France as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)