Sergio Agüero - ST - Atletico Madrid (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
So did this meeting even take place today? It's awfully quiet, apart from the usual Italian gurus giving their two cents.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Hi Everyone, Haven't been to the forum for a long while, but seeing the last few pages and catching up made me feel like i never left the Dzeko thread.

I know this is the "all aboard the fap train" thread, but am I alone in having some issues over this transfer ?

Well, before you stop reading, he is an amazing talent, maybe one of the top 5 players out there, skill wise at the very least. I just want to stress a few points that are bothering me and I like to share.

First of all, Aguero will have to adapt. Not many (if any), attacking, "flair driven" players came from abroad ,mainely from La liga and coped well in this leauge, and by doing well i mean being consistant for most parts of the season, not only till December like Diego, even Amauri looked world beater in the first rounds in his debut season.

It's a crime comparing Aguero and Diego,I know, but he's not used to playing, I hate the word, against "compact" teams or tight physical man marking. As a rule, in most teams in La liga the defence is a bad joke on its good days, almost all league games seems a bit like training games for Real and Barca, but with keeping scores.
I know that world class players will probably play like world class everywhere and Kun might be one of those few, but we all know that skill isn't the only factor here.

When looking close at some stats and history of each league, there is a extremly importent factor that is criminaly often overlooked, tradition.

It sounds wierd I know, but the Italian league have always been mostly dominated by Italian players, in the last ten seasons only twice the scoring leader wasnt Italian! and in the last 3 seasons almost 80%! of the top 10 scorers each year were Italians (included players are Cavani and Pato who played in Italy before 19).
And Spain? in the last ten years only two spanish top scorer and around 40% spanish players in the top ten scorers of the last 3 seasons.
So, Are the Italians simply better football players then the Spanish ?
Well not anymore and for a while now.
Overall in the last 10 years better forigen players played in spain then in italy? i doubt it.

So maybe its the league, maybe the football itself in italy is different, not better, but just different, both mentaly and tacticly. Maybe not every player, regardles of his skill or talent, can adapt and dominate in this league ?

So can Aguero do it? Really dominate? well, he got the talent to do it.
Can he dominate in his first season in the league? can he give us CL ?
honestly speaking, I will be suprised.and delighted.

But there is another secnario, an even worse one.
What if he playes great, but the team flops? we can barely attract class players as it is.
That's way I think signing Aguero is a much bigger risk then just him floping.
Let's be honest, it's a coin flip right now. We have an un-proven coach, many players on their first season here, and barely anything to build upon going into next season. What if we dont get CL spot? or just plain fail ?
Will we be able to attrect any world class players after that?

So, maybe the biggest quastion is not if Aguero is ready to play here, but is this team ready for him ?

The end result of this transfer might be much more significant then just signing a world class player after many years of mediocre shit, it can realy set the course for this club for the next few year, good or bad.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
yes we are very close.
I see most people onhere seem to think so, and quite frankly, I really hope we are, but is there any word from a truly reliable source we met today? Any progress?

It's kind of beginning to sound like it's solely being hyped up because nobody knows what's going on anymore. It's clear he's a real target though.

Sep 21, 2010
So, maybe the biggest quastion is not if Aguero is ready to play here, but is this team ready for him ?

The end result of this transfer might be much more significant then just signing a world class player after many years of mediocre shit, it can realy set the course for this club for the next few year, good or bad.
I dont see how signing someone who is as talented as Aguero...which you also agree with can be a bad thing. Id rather we bring in a huge name like Aguero and some other quality players such as Vidal, Honda, Inler, or whoever else we are linked with and at least try to get back into CL. Its a necessary risk in my opinion...I dont see how anyone can not like this transfer.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
I see most people onhere seem to think so, and quite frankly, I really hope we are, but is there any word from a truly reliable source we met today? Any progress?

It's kind of beginning to sound like it's solely being hyped up because nobody knows what's going on anymore. It's clear he's a real target though.
i posted something at lunch time, the deal should be done as early as sunday, if not early next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)